nathan_debate

What are essays, speeches, or other media that every debater should read?

About debate.

About politics, philosophy, or life.

I'm going to suggest:

1) The Speech by Scott Deathredge.  Its about strategy, passion, and commitment.  Its about goals, victory, and the purpose of debate.  This is probably most helpful for advanced debaters.  The principles could probably help debaters at any level, especially if they have some coach based guidance.

2) There was an NFL Rostrum article about the nature of friendships in debate.  (I think its from a yearly dinner at St. Marx, which I'm guessing may have quite a few candidates.

http://debate.uvm.edu/NFL/rostrumlib/ShalmonStudViewJan'00.pdf

Ed Lee gives a speech like "The Speech" on winning at Emory every year.  I wish I could distinguish what it says that the Speech doesn't or vice versa. 

[this may be available on a wiki somewhere, but I don't think its available on their YouTube channel, unfortunately]

3) MacKinnons critique of Postmodernism from a feminist perspective (can't remember the law review at the moment) is a pretty good read.  MacKinnon is a professor of law.

4) This critique of relativism by professor of philosophy peter kreeft is pretty decent.  7 arguments, basically all turns.

So much of the po-mo debate gets back to this.

5) I like the last 5 pages of Katherine Bartlett's "Feminist Legal Methods."  The first 3/4s doesn't have that many cards in it.  Its in a law review.  I think Duke, and I think its from the mid 1990s.

a) it has a method first card.

B) it explains the history of feminism & it provides critiques of various forms of feminism.  This helps understand cultural theory & cultural studies (particularly post-modernism).

The cites for 3 and 5 should be easy to get via Google books.

Edited by nathan_debate
  • Upvote 3

About debate.

About politics, philosophy, or life.

I'm going to suggest:

1) The Speech by Scott Deathredge.  Its about strategy, passion, and commitment.  Its about goals, victory, and the purpose of debate.  This is probably most helpful for advanced debaters.  The principles could probably help debaters at any level, especially if they have some coach based guidance.

2) There was an NFL Rostrum article about the nature of friendships in debate.  (I think its from a yearly dinner at St. Marx, which I'm guessing may have quite a few candidates.

Ed Lee gives a speech like "The Speech" on winning at Emory every year.  I wish I could distinguish what it says that the Speech doesn't or vice versa. 

Im just wondering do you know a rothenbaum

Scott Harris' ballot from last year was good enough I'd consider it a must read. I also really like that post of Maury's on spreading from a few years ago. Watching clips of the WGLF on Youtube is mandatory for entirely different reasons.

I'm also a big fan of Nietzsche.

• Upvote 2

"The State" by Dr.gene ray  Great article on time cube

If you read this you'll never lose a debate round

Zak Ali disproves

• Upvote 1

Scott Harris' ballot from last year was good enough I'd consider it a must read.

This

The cultural left and the limit of social hope by David McClean

We'll never do better than a politician: Climate change and purity by Levi Bryant

What is Orthodox marxism and what does it mean to us today by Stephen Tumino

Governing advanced Liberal democracies by Nicholas Rose

To Change the World, To celebrate life by Todd May

Edited by feldsy

Scott Harris' ballot from last year was good enough I'd consider it a must read. I also really like that post of Maury's on spreading from a few years ago. Watching clips of the WGLF on Youtube is mandatory for entirely different reasons.

I'm also a big fan of Nietzsche.

Anyone got links to the ballot and that thing about spreading?

• Upvote 1

The Unibomber Manifesto 

Whatever that essay was where Dawkins literally calls out the cultural marxists for necessarily writing to be as unclear as possible: 

Brave New World, because that's what the Post Modernists are gonna do to you every time you give a win to a DnG team. 

Edited by BernieSanders

Are those my speaks D:

you tell me.

Are those bad speaks

:|

Well it depends on your region, but mostly on the national circuit the range is from 25-30. Most people give an average of about 28's, but 25's or close to a 25 typically means that a debater did something bad in the round (for the national circuit, at least). 

Edited by CapitalismIsNotCool

Why don't tournaments normalize speaker point distributions? I guess the main issue would be that some judges would be assigned to high quality debaters more often than other judges, just due to chance. In addition, judges might not be distributed to debaters randomly, probably good judges judge more frequently and more often in front of debates predicted to be interesting. Are there any other good reasons that we might not want to normalize speaker point distributions that I'm missing? Because despite these problems, it still seems like it might be worth it.

• Upvote 1

Why don't tournaments normalize speaker point distributions? I guess the main issue would be that some judges would be assigned to high quality debaters more often than other judges, just due to chance. In addition, judges might not be distributed to debaters randomly, probably good judges judge more frequently and more often in front of debates predicted to be interesting. Are there any other good reasons that we might not want to normalize speaker point distributions that I'm missing? Because despite these problems, it still seems like it might be worth it.

Not sure about the rest of the nation, but in KS, you get ranked 1-4 based on who was in the round, then 1-30 "quality points". I highly disagree with the quality point system - It's too arbitrary. It leaves the judge to decide who was the best speaker, how well they spoke, and how to quantify that description as a number. However, in the 1-4 system, the judge only has to do one of those things. Any indication of things you could improve on, or what you did well, could easily be left in the "comments" section of the ballot.

• Upvote 2

If the second best speaker and first best speaker are partners, the second best speakers score would end up much lower than it should, if only relative rankings were used.

To stick with modern books (last ~50 years) for the moment:

Acemoglu and Robinson Why Nations Fail (and the authors also have a blog under a similar name which discusses current events)

Bailey The End of Doom

Brennan Why Not Capitalism?

Scott Harris This Ballot.  (http://www.cedadebate.org/forum/index.php?topic=4762.0)

Pinker The Blank Slate: The Modern Denial of Human Nature (say whatever you will about his violence work afterwards, this book is a good summary of the literature on its subject as of its publication).

Nozick Anarchy, State, and Utopia

And in the realm of 'media':