courageous

The novice LD or CX choice

I am bringing a girl into my school's debate program and I'm trying to decide which event will suit her best. What qualities make up a good CX or LD debater? What are some factors to consider when choosing? 

• Upvote 2

Well for novice cx, I have noticed the following in good debaters:

- Natural persuasion skill 

- Ability to make up arguments on the spot, quick thinking

- Good ear (for flowing and what not)

- Good speaking/spreading

- Confidence ( a lot of "good" Illinois novices actually didn't know what the hell they were talking about but rambled with lots of confidence and won)

- Just being smart/knowledgable in general (i.e if you plan to be running security k, it would be good to be well-read in freud,lacan,foucalt,etc)

-Hard working 

This year was not easy at all but with dedicating constant time to debate I was able to from 3-2 at small tournaments to going to finals in Illinois States (lost 2-1 to new trier lol). I honestly don't know much about varsity though; just speaking from a novice perspective. 

• Upvote 1

I think that the above is more of a policy debate elitist perspective ... from someone that did both, I think that someone that is more focused on the morality of arguments instead of their actual capabilities of being put into place would be a better LDer, and the latter being focused for a CXer...

But even so, I think that there is no way to tell what is the best fit without trying.

• Upvote 2

As someone who has won state in CX debate I can give you what I know helps with a novice CX debater from the perspective that I gained my freshman year. If this student is more concerned with morality arguments and what would be best for the nation to be "happy," then LD is probably a better choice. If the student is more likely to like everything on a heavy-research and evidence based platform, along with the objective of having to write speeches on the spot and be concerned with more of the statistical well-being (economy, diplomacy status, etc.) of the country, then they would probably be better at CX. What circuit will this be in?

I do LD since I work better by myself, I don't have the attention span for a CX round, CX is dying in my city, and because I like LD more. (multiple topics a year means I get more chances of learning more / not sucking 100% of the time)

People at my school like policy (but don't do it bc coach says no) because the rounds are longer and they like how developed the argumentation gets, they like working in teams, they like the one topic a year, and they like how small it is here. 

You should tell them about both events, who could be a potential partner, what you think is objectively easier in your area, what you have better coaching for, and show maybe a lay round for both. (look on NSDA)

I feel as though CX is more beneficial but that's coming from a person who has never competed in LD. At least in my area, crossex provides more clash and in depth arguments and has more dedicated opponents to provide interesting rounds with. I would definitely ask around about what your circuit's situation is like and if you decide to do cross ex, find a dedicated partner.

- Just being smart/knowledgable in general (i.e if you plan to be running security k, it would be good to be well-read in freud,lacan,foucalt,etc)

Interesting side note here, I've never heard frued compared to security. Could you explain how he fits into the k?

I feel as though CX is more beneficial but that's coming from a person who has never competed in LD. At least in my area, crossex provides more clash and in depth arguments and has more dedicated opponents to provide interesting rounds with. I would definitely ask around about what your circuit's situation is like and if you decide to do cross ex, find a dedicated partner.

Interesting side note here, I've never heard frued compared to security. Could you explain how he fits into the k?

My guess is it has something to do with psychoanalysis and the emotion of fear. Not too well versed in either though.