harper231

Surveillance zata38 (aff) v. Harper231 (neg)

Cool Aff

CX-

PR

1. what types of surveillance is the US doing?

2. what justification does the US offer for it's surveillance of PR?

3. Is political repression unique to PR?

4. can you site me a line in the Roman 97 evidence were it cites any of the impacts you claim?

5. what is imperialism?

Plan text

1. What exactly will happen post aff?

Framing

1. should we ignore threats direct threats?

2. What's the internal link between US surveillance and structural violence?

3. Can you explain the Yudkowsky 06 card?

General

1. Will you defend role-playing the state?

2. Should we reject all surveillance of PR?

Cool Aff

CX-

PR

1. what types of surveillance is the US doing?

Borrero identifies NSA, CIA, and FBI. 

2. what justification does the US offer for it's surveillance of PR?

The justification is likely to "stop terrorism" or to "fight crime", but the Borrero ev isolates that it's used to reproduce the militaristic colonialism of the island.

3. Is political repression unique to PR?

Probably not, but Puerto Rico is a unique case due to the colonial nature of the island

4. can you site me a line in the Roman 97 evidence were it cites any of the impacts you claim?

"Torruella described theU.S. policies towards Puerto Rico as "archaic notions" that serve tokeep "a class of several million ... citizens in a subservient conditionad infinitum, with less rights than even aliens who reside in theUnited States"

"The problem with imperialism was not just its economic exploitation.It was its influence on culture. It undermined traditionalways and institutions. It was inconsistent with humandignity"

Those are a couple.

5. what is imperialism?

When a stronger nations takes over a weaker nation of region and dominates its economic, political, and cultural life. 

Plan text

1. What exactly will happen post aff?

The programs Borrero mentions will be removed and things like law enforcement on the island will be done through local means rather than the constant presence of US intelligence forces.

Framing

1. should we ignore threats direct threats?

If a threat is real we shouldn't ignore it, but most debate impacts are just hyperbolic representations of reality that skew rounds away from structural problems.

2. What's the internal link between US surveillance and structural violence?

The surveillance produces an air of fear and surveillance that locks in the imperialism against PR.

3. Can you explain the Yudkowsky 06 card?

Basically, the more detail you add to a story, the more logical it seems, when in reality it isn't true. The implication is on DAs, where debaters construe misleading evidence to create a daisy chain that leads to nuke war. That obviously isn't gonna happen and the supposed detail of the scenario proves how fake it is. 

General

1. Will you defend role-playing the state?

No. I'll defend that the US should do this action, but the 1AC makes no endorsement of the state or state action in any other cases.

2. Should we reject all surveillance of PR?

Plan text says substantially curtail. I'll defend that with a warrant domestic surveillance could still happen on individuals, but all of the broad sweeping techniques would go away for sure.

Cross:

General:

Status of the Ks?

T domestic:

What cases does Ritter actually allow?

If the US is using terror and the prevention of political uprising as an excuse for this surveillance, why don't I meet this interp?

T curtail:

Cross of 1AC says domestic surveillance could still happen with a warrant, therefore how does the case abolish?

What ground does the neg lose by allowing abolish cases?

What's the link to effects T?

Cap:

Can the plan happen in the world of the alt?

Where does Zizek explain an actuation of the alternative?

How does the plan increase capitalism?

Biopolitics:

Is the state always bad? If so why is incremental limitation of state power bad?

If the state is alway bad then why do you also read imperialism good?

What is the impact to bare life? And why is that not what has been done to Puerto Ricans?

Can the aff happen in the world of the alt?

How does removing all identity politics not just whitewash the public and political sphere?

PR:

How is the aff a universal rejection of all imperialism?

Can you read me a line that says imperialism in Puerto Rico is either good or necessary?

Specifically, your Kiely ev is about 3rd world countries, how is this relevant?

Plan: 

Where does the plan text say full rejection?

Framing:

What is the alternative to the state that doesn't also produce microfascisms (or macro fascism as Connolly indicates)?

Hey, I'm fine if you want to use my Agamben critique but you should at least ask me and tell me what hebron team you are before you go posting shit up on cross x.

I'm going to be really disappointed if you're from another team and actually ended up just copy pasting the 1NC that one of our teams flashed you, at least remove my initials from your cites first

Edited by NeXxet
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 4

Hey, I'm fine if you want to use my Agamben critique but you should at least ask me and tell me what hebron team you are before you go posting shit up on cross x.

I'm going to be really disappointed if you're from another team and actually ended up just copy pasting the 1NC that one of our teams flashed you, at least remove my initials from your cites first

Sorry man, I'll take it down. I wouldn't want to screw you like that.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1