kylerbuckner

The Surveillance Topic

Let's talk about it. Best aff? Worst aff? What will you miss most? Funny rounds?

Favorite Aff: Honestly, Peninsula TW's aff is pretty dope. 

Worst Aff: T'hono 

Definitely won't miss the encryption affs or circumvention. The NSA does whatever the hell they want. 

One time someone went for "capitalism doesn't exist" in the 2nr even though in the 1nc it was ortho marx.

In one of my rounds at a local tournament we hit one of our friends from another school. They don't debate nationally and only do circuit tournaments to have fun, see people, etc. We read our aff, and they read some generic k close to dedev and agamben mixed. It really didn't link and wasn't coherent so the debate was a mess from the beginning. In his 2nc, he stands up and spends about 2 minutes apologizing for how bad the round is going then reads this card: 

Apology solves

Tavuchis 91. (Nicholas. Senior Scholar in the Department of Sociology @ University of Manitoba. Meet Culpa: A Sociology of 'Apolog}' and Reconciliation pg. 8)

In these admittedly general terms, then, apology expresses itself as the exigency of a painful re­membering, literally of being mindful again, of what we were and bad as members and, at the same time, what we have jeopardized or lost by virtue of our offensive speech or action. And it is only by personally acknowledging ultimate responsibility, expressing genuine sorrow and regret, and pledging henceforth (implicitly or explicitlv)to abide by the rules, that the offender simultaneously recalls and is re-called to that which binds. As shared mementos, apologies require much more than admission or confession of the unadorned facts of wrongdoing or deviance. Thev constitute—in their most responsible, authentic, and. hence, vulnerable expression—a form of self-punishment that cuts deeply because we are obliged to retell, relive, and seek forgiveness for sorrowful events that have rendered our claims to membership in a moral community suspect or defeasible. So it is that the call for an apology always demands and promises more than it seems toAs anyone who has ever apologized in these circumstances well knows, the act is always arduous and painful, whether done voluntarily or at the urging of others. And yet. when this secular rite of expiation is punctiliously performed, and the remorseful admission of wrongdoing is convened into a gift that is accepted and reciprocated by forgiveness, our world is transformed in a way that can only be described as miraculous. All the more so because the gesture itself reiterates the reality of the offense while superseding it.

Edited by DonaldTrump
  • Upvote 5

Why do you hate Tohono so much?

Beat it every time with an imperialism/native sovereignty K disguised as T - domestic

Edited by Baudrizzle

Why do you hate Tohono so much?

Beat it every time with an imperialism/native sovereignty K disguised as T - domestic

^ This. The 1ac is basically like, hey, now maybe the colonial, patriarchy, antiblack, capitalist, state will recognize that you're sovereign. I mean probs not, but who knows let's give it a shot. 

• Upvote 1

Favorite Affirmative would have to be the kritikal version of the FBI entrapment/provocateur's. It focuses more on dehumanization and we usually linked the negative's arguments (especially the Terror DA) to the holocaust. 

Least favorite Affirmative is TSA/Transgender profiling case. It was easy to beat and presented several problems when we hit it.

Everyone always went for the Politics and Terror DA's. We ran into Circumvention one time in semifinals at state, but that was it.

Let's talk about it. Best aff? Worst aff? What will you miss most? Funny rounds?

Favorite Aff: Honestly, Peninsula TW's aff is pretty dope. 

Worst Aff: T'hono 

Honestly the most solid Aff in reality is probably Backdoors. It's just really hard to argue against it in terms of it being good on paper with all this controversy surrounding it. Every damn week there is something saying Backdoors should be closed. I hardly ever lost to it though because teams are so terrible at writing cases, and having good internal links. If you have an advantage on grids, and you don't prove to me that the vulnerabilities of the grids are not as a result of Backdoors imposed by the government, then your advantage just crumbles. Don't jump from backdoors create security holes to grids vulnerable to grid attack. Also, I loved arguing, I guess what people in the Kansas City circuit call it, software complexity. The argument is that backdoors aren't just something that the government invented, they're a fundamental part of (almost) all software and operating systems. There is little solvency on most of the issues. 

Not the worst Aff, but my least favorite Affs is CODIS. The cases internal links were so stupid, the plan text were really vague ("Warrants on WHAT?"), and solvency was literally non-existent. Lost to a guy who literally read Lowenberg in 11, which pretty much says "DNA Privacy needs to be more protected". After we lost that and got knocked out of the tournament, I went to the team and said something like "Dude, fuck your case. Just because the method you went about it worked, does not mean it was fundamentally sound. Like just cut some really fucking internal links an solvency cards. There are plenty out there in camp files. I could flash you one right now if you want."

Actually worst Aff was CFIUS. Not even worth explaining, it was just terrible. 

In my opinion, the Aff that was the worst in practice, in my circuit, is probably Drones. All of them had the worst solvency. They run advantages on drone crashes and safety, and I won a tournament using like 4 pieces of evidence and BSpec. How? It went something like this

"How does your plan, warrants on drone use, solve the technical short comings of drones?"

"Well, there will be less drones in the sky, therefore less risk of drone crash?"

and the 2NC goes like "That's not solving the problem. Their own extension evidence said one drone crash killed dozens of people (maybe over 100, but i don't remember) so if it only takes a few, or hell, even one drone to do insane amounts of damage, then they can't solve the basis of their advantage."

• Upvote 1

My favorite affirmative case was the Backdoors case until many of its provisions were actually passed. Even after that, it was one of the most, "relevant," cases you could run due to the kerfuffle between Apple and the FBI.

My least favorite case was anything to do with Drones, for pretty much the reasons that the person above me pointed out. From the ones I've seen, the harms arguments typically had to do with the dangers of even one drone crash, but the plans never eliminated drones entirely. There was a huge solvency deficit. 

Favorite AFF- I had a good time running ban prisons in the KC area, (I know it's not too popular or liked at all on the national circuit though). It was a just overall fun case to run even though i had really sketchy answers to everything. On the national circuit (even though my school, like most of missouri doesn't participate in it) I liked Walter Payton's BC K aff (Bataille). But around here I guess I liked the Tohono O'odham case being ran by Corbin and Connor Healy from Summit Christian Academy, even though it wasn't T-domestic like someone else said, but I found it super interesting to learn about and I thought it was argued super well. 

Worst AFF- Zero days-like it is not topical at all, we don't even know about all zero days and we need to increase surveillance to find them in order to decrease it. or CODIS with a medical industry advantage, the internal links for people who participate in clinical trials are scared of CODIS don't exist. Also sorry Parker, but newborn blood screening was not t-substantial at all, there is no real privacy concern at all, like only super against privacy people care about it and in the long run it is really outweighed by any chance of PKU. There's a reason why we screen. Also we screen for PKU, there's no way that the insurance companies are going to get the information about that and then discriminate, if that was true we would've already seen outrage about it. Or the enact the original freedom act case was pretty bad, but then again, that might just be because I don't buy that India will model our surveillance policies. 

Won't miss- Hitting circumvention with my ban prisons case, we actually hit an "Underground DA" in which the team said the NSA would somehow create secret underground prisons at one tournament. Also any terror DA which is not applicable aka on any case non-NSA-and even then it's the worst. 

Good times- I had a super fun time running Rights Malthus this season as a typical neg strat against cases we had nothing on. Also I really like the k ground on this topic, it was super interesting and I learned a lot throughout the season. 

• Upvote 2

Also sorry Parker, but newborn blood screening was not t-substantial at all, there is no real privacy concern at all, like only super against privacy people care about it and in the long run it is really outweighed by any chance of PKU. There's a reason why we screen. Also we screen for PKU, there's no way that the insurance companies are going to get the information about that and then discriminate, if that was true we would've already seen outrage about it. Or the enact the original freedom act case was pretty bad, but then again, that might just be because I don't buy that India will model our surveillance policies. 

I totally agree, the concept was great, but the internal links never existed, there was kind of no inherency, it wasn't topical (opt-in system, lol), and solvency was a facade. We only won a lot because no one took more than 5 sec to look at it like you and Jay and Julian did. We dropped that case the week of district and we picked up a new one. On your guys' PKU DA, we actually didn't mean to cut that answer. My partner literally just happened to have it cut when I was looking through our files. 

The Aff was a lot of fun and I spend a lot of time researching it so that when I got asked anything, I could answer it. I took a lot in pride in my understanding of the concept, but it was just impossible to make a reality with the little to no literature base. 

Best Aff

Islamophobia or Insider Threats

Worst Aff

Blockchain and TSA

Won't miss 

TSA, NSA, Encryption, Drones, 

Funny rounds

Debated Kyler and Colin at Bentonville. We read the wrong answer to their link argument on the whiteness k and we ended up making many disney and fairy tale references in our final rebuttal speeches fun times.

Also the time we debated against teams who read satire neg cases and such those were good times.

best aff that i know of is probably activism- it's probably the best aff that i saw in my local circuit this year because no other aff could really beat it and everyone tries to run aspec on it. like everyone i know of runs drones like?? ok

when my partner and i ran it we won most of the time-- one time when a judge voted us down because the neg team had more offcase positions than we did advantages. what a massive asshole

worst aff? im not sure because i was mainly aff this year but i have some pretty bad memories attached to drones and squirrely affs 

i'll really miss my novice year! i learned a lot this year, made some cool friends (meeting cool ppl made me ???), and i look forward to next year! i'm hoping to get better over the summer even if im not going to camp (because i can't). i'll really miss the seniors tho :(

i won't miss people running fiat theory on circumvention. just no pls don't do that. also squirrely affs and everyone running the same friggin aff

one of my favorite rounds this year was at a local, semitraditional tournament. we hit a novice team and they FLIPPED when my partner (the entire tournament was a massive joke to him lmao he's gr999) and i started spreading and started to complain that my partner was a varsity debater (like "LOL THAT'S NOT FAIR HE'S A VARSITY DEBATER AND HE'S CRUSHING US" everyone forgets that im a novice idk why im p sure it;s obvious). they also flipped when i took down their aspec in cross ex.

they conceded after the 2nc

How is TSA the worst aff? Unless you're talking about SPOT, I think it's pretty good.

I read the transgender profiling aff all year and only ever lost two rounds... it's p dope

Edited by Baudrizzle

use Black indians K or redness and for sure youll get W also :)

Best Aff: White Gaze Aff my team reads

Worst Aff: Prison Reform

What I'll Miss Most: Judging hella abstract Agamben debates where neither side knows what they're reading but rely on pre-made blocks made by one of the kids on the team that at least understands SOME of what Agamben is saying - Kappa i'm pretty salty 

Funny Rounds - Some kids from Fullerton Union read some pretty hilarious impact defense against a team that was reading Cyber-terrorism impacts on Aff; the card pretty much said that, empirically, squirrels did more damage to grids than cyber-terrorists lel (yeah the debates I judged were hella stale ; _ ;  )

Edited by Theparanoiacmachine
  • Upvote 2