diantonion

What to Expect at Nats

Hey y'all,

I just qualified to the NSDA national tournament in, (you guessed it), Policy debate! If any of you have any information as to what to expect at Nats, I would love to hear it.

I'm from a fairly traditional circuit, (Eastern Missouri), and I know that Nats policy is quite different than what I'm used to. (to put it into perspective, T and DAs were the only offcase that we ran or encountered at districts). My partner and I want to be competitive at nationals, (we don't plan to win the whole thing, but breaking from prelims would be nice). What advice do you have for us in terms of preparation, strategy, or anything else?

A bit of info:

1) We've been running a super-stock policy aff all year, and we crush with it, but we've basically never hit anything but T and terror, so...

2) We have a very basic understanding of kritikal debate, but don't know a lot of the theory behind most Ks.

3) We kinda suck at speed, (but can improve).

So what do we have to do to have a chance to be decent at nats?

Thanks a ton!

NSDA at least used to be very lay, because there were a lot of circuits like yours, and they qualified lay teams and brought lay judges.  I know less now (coach in a UDL and don't compete for NSDA nats), but my impression was it was slowly getting less lay, to the point where final rounds involved spreading, but you'll still probably have a decent chance at lay judging.

That said, you should familiarize yourself with CP and K theory and common positions.  Especially CP as that's pretty well accepted even in many lay districts.

Edited by Squirrelloid
  • Upvote 1

Hey y'all,

I just qualified to the NSDA national tournament in, (you guessed it), Policy debate! If any of you have any information as to what to expect at Nats, I would love to hear it.

I'm from a fairly traditional circuit, (Eastern Missouri), and I know that Nats policy is quite different than what I'm used to. (to put it into perspective, T and DAs were the only offcase that we ran or encountered at districts). My partner and I want to be competitive at nationals, (we don't plan to win the whole thing, but breaking from prelims would be nice). What advice do you have for us in terms of preparation, strategy, or anything else?

A bit of info:

1) We've been running a super-stock policy aff all year, and we crush with it, but we've basically never hit anything but T and terror, so...

2) We have a very basic understanding of kritikal debate, but don't know a lot of the theory behind most Ks.

3) We kinda suck at speed, (but can improve).

So what do we have to do to have a chance to be decent at nats?

Thanks a ton!

I may have judged you at nat quals, small world.

Expect politics instead of terror da, learn to flow speed (being able to spread is less important for winning than being able to understand it), cover the basic K's (Cap, Wilderson, Anthro), and make sure you have a terminal impact in the 1ac (because most I judged last weekend did not).

• Upvote 1

How is naudl champs gonna be is the question

I donno. First time im going to naudl, so if anyone knows what it's like...

That said, you should familiarize yourself with CP and K theory and common positions.  Especially CP as that's pretty well accepted even in many lay districts.

Specifically looking at the CP and K theory, is it mostly going to be standard stuff, (eg. Condo), or should we expect some weirder stuff? (If that's even what you mean by theory).

I may have judged you at nat quals, small world.

Expect politics instead of terror da, learn to flow speed (being able to spread is less important for winning than being able to understand it), cover the basic K's (Cap, Wilderson, Anthro), and make sure you have a terminal impact in the 1ac (because most I judged last weekend did not).

Just wondering, why is a terminal impact in the 1AC important?

I hear that Kyle Craft guy from East MO is pretty good. Just do what he does.

If you are Kyle, (or Lucy, for that matter), I'd be down to prep with y'all after state is over if you want. Idk if the rest of Ladue wants to though.

learn to hug ur partner then u can break to nat finals :)

Hey, she refused my advances. I only hug with consent.

Just wondering, why is a terminal impact in the 1AC important?

1) They're cool.

2) Terminal impacts allow you to have the edge on impact/risk analysis out of the 1AC, which you can use in the 2AC and the rebuttals to turn neg positions or outweigh impacts. It's better for doing real impact calc than saying "You should prefer real world consequences because they're real world" (like most of E-MO).

3) They also help quantify the end result of whatever scenario you choose to read - i.e. you could say "the impact is econ decline" and the neg would say "resilient, your I/Ls aren't true b/c history proves," etc., and then you're beat. However, if you read "econ collapse = nuke war," not only can you outweigh neg impacts, but you can trigger the "why should we care" debate, since now you're claiming to save a significant number of lives (even though sometimes this ends up as a debate about body counts).

1) They're cool.

2) Terminal impacts allow you to have the edge on impact/risk analysis out of the 1AC, which you can use in the 2AC and the rebuttals to turn neg positions or outweigh impacts. It's better for doing real impact calc than saying "You should prefer real world consequences because they're real world" (like most of E-MO).

3) They also help quantify the end result of whatever scenario you choose to read - i.e. you could say "the impact is econ decline" and the neg would say "resilient, your I/Ls aren't true b/c history proves," etc., and then you're beat. However, if you read "econ collapse = nuke war," not only can you outweigh neg impacts, but you can trigger the "why should we care" debate, since now you're claiming to save a significant number of lives (even though sometimes this ends up as a debate about body counts).

Tbh, Maya and I really aren't big fans of terminal impacts. We (generally) like to stick to realistic and probable impact scenarios, then win the impact calc debate on probability and timeframe. Tbh I think that magnitude ought to come second to probability 99.9% of the time. I get how terminal impacts are useful, but we generally stay away. More specifically to my earlier question, ("why terminal impacts?"), I was kinda asking specifically about Nats and why/if terminal impacts are uniquely key there.

You don't need to run terminal impacts, but you should be able to provide an alternative way to evaluate the round beyond comparing the expected value of impacts and you should ideally have evidence and analytics to defend that framework.

Hey, she refused my advances. I only hug with consent.

just be glad you weren't made into a meme

You don't need to run terminal impacts, but you should be able to provide an alternative way to evaluate the round beyond comparing the expected value of impacts and you should ideally have evidence and analytics to defend that framework.

kind of off this topic but hi, you judged me round 3 at qualifiers against ladue. im not really sure if you remember the round but if you still remember the rfd / any tips could you pm me? our coach lost our ballots so yeah.

our coach lost our ballots so yeah.

Proffit lost your ballots!?! That both sucks and is very humorous.

Yeah, we usually read some prefer probability stuff if it becomes necessary. Also, did you judge us last weekend/at MSHSAA districts? I'm fairly sure that you did.

How is naudl champs gonna be is the question

NAUDL is full of hella lay judges, if you're reading a K Aff its pretty much a guaranteed 0-6 unless you can somehow convince your white judge that racism is more important than something the UN is gonna do after they vote Neg  

But my friend and I are gonna be there : ^ ) so we'll see you there 

just be glad you weren't made into a meme

kind of off this topic but hi, you judged me round 3 at qualifiers against ladue. im not really sure if you remember the round but if you still remember the rfd / any tips could you pm me? our coach lost our ballots so yeah.

I can check, I think I still have the flows somewhere. You could also possibly ask the other team if they can make a copy of the ballot for you just cause I probably won't remember exactly what I was thinking after the round.

Proffit lost your ballots!?! That both sucks and is very humorous.

Yeah, we usually read some prefer probability stuff if it becomes necessary. Also, did you judge us last weekend/at MSHSAA districts? I'm fairly sure that you did.

Yeah, was interested in seeing who qualled to Nats but I guess the Missouri Cross-X board is dead. I think it's your choice what impacts you want to run, but if you're not running terminal impacts you will need to preempt the impact analysis debate because otherwise the opposing team will win that terminal impacts outweigh and bypass all your impacts. I think if you prep out a strong block on this, this can also have some strategic value.

Edited by JChen

Specifically looking at the CP and K theory, is it mostly going to be standard stuff, (eg. Condo), or should we expect some weirder stuff? (If that's even what you mean by theory).

Standard stuff, including CP and K structure (I don't know how lay your area is), and also things like perms, Condo, Framework, Roll of the Ballot, etc...  I wasn't even thinking particularly of the *arguments* so much as argument structure things.  

I mean, someone might do something weird, but at NSDA its unlikely both judges in the round will even get it, much less be okay with it.

NAUDL is full of hella lay judges, if you're reading a K Aff its pretty much a guaranteed 0-6 unless you can somehow convince your white judge that racism is more important than something the UN is gonna do after they vote Neg  

But my friend and I are gonna be there : ^ ) so we'll see you there 

But I heard that Naudl is like 90% K. Or naw? 

And if I hypothetically had an artifiicial intellgience aff shood I hypothetically run it?

But I heard that Naudl is like 90% K. Or naw? 

And if I hypothetically had an artifiicial intellgience aff shood I hypothetically run it?

The debaters might be, but the judging pool isn't 

If I were still debating in High School, I would ask my coaches about that : ^ )

The debaters might be, but the judging pool isn't 

If I were still debating in High School, I would ask my coaches about that : ^ )

But my coach is an evil walrus who doesn't liek policy debate