policydebate2016

Buddhism K

Don't.  Running the Buddhism K bites itself.  It's a terrible argument.

Can you explain how? I understand that there is biting into the K when you are actively searching for the K because you are trying to have material goods.

I am planning on running this next year with the alternative of allowing for a double loss to liberate us from the gods of debate that we often look towards (this will be a more conservative Theravada Buddhism K), and to open ourselves to freedom. I think that arguments matter more than the wins and losses (I am planning on losing debates 100% of the time), so I am just wondering how this argument does not work in terms of its argumentative weight, not just in-round weight.

Can you explain how? I understand that there is biting into the K when you are actively searching for the K because you are trying to have material goods.

I am planning on running this next year with the alternative of allowing for a double loss to liberate us from the gods of debate that we often look towards (this will be a more conservative Theravada Buddhism K), and to open ourselves to freedom. I think that arguments matter more than the wins and losses (I am planning on losing debates 100% of the time), so I am just wondering how this argument does not work in terms of its argumentative weight, not just in-round weight.

how does a judge vote for a double loss

Isn't desiring any particular outcome still a manifestation of desire?  (That's not the only problem, but I'd have to refamiliarize myself with Theravada in particular to articulate some of the other problems).

I mean, that's not as bad as arguing for a win off a buddhism K.  But it still bites itself.  

And as Tommy says, judges aren't allowed to do that in most tournaments.

• Upvote 1

Isn't desiring any particular outcome still a manifestation of desire?  (That's not the only problem, but I'd have to refamiliarize myself with Theravada in particular to articulate some of the other problems).

I mean, that's not as bad as arguing for a win off a buddhism K.  But it still bites itself.  

And as Tommy says, judges aren't allowed to do that in most tournaments.

I would not argue that desiring an outcome is still the same desire that is the root of all suffering. Buddhist monks desire to break free from samsara (reincarnation), that does not mean that they never will do so because of that own desire. Though he is not Theravada, the Dalai Lama has desire to help people through compassion (he is the Buddha of Compassion!), that does not mean that he is forced into samsara because of that desire, etc.

But I do understand your position and I do see the problems with running a Buddhism K as full out debate argument because debate always has desire shaping our views, I will reconsider.