ydavid

K's for Next Year

Hey,

This is my first post ever here, the site seems pretty interesting. But anyway, I was wondering what ideas you guys had for k's on the China topic. It seems like the only kritikal aff positions are human rights of Chinese minor titles and the like. So, I'm not sure. Also, what kind of lit have you guys been reading so far. Thanks,

-NNDG

• Upvote 2

yeah the Pan K is gonna be dope

other recommendations are:

Orientalism

Gift

Capitalism

Security

Imperialism (or IR is a softer version)

My opinion is that next year will be very policy focused on the aff. There will be a lot of great K's though.

• Upvote 1

Orientalism

Gift

Capitalism

Security

My opinion is that next year will be very policy focused on the aff. There will be a lot of great K's though.

lol

• Upvote 4

Orientalism

Gift

Capitalism

Security

So, what exactly would be the link of the gift K?

I'm pretty sure Pan would be pro-aff. Increasing economic and diplomatic ties sounds like the opposite of containment to me.

Funny enough, I think there might be a more realism oriented argument on the neg, about how increasing talks actually increases tensions between the two countries because of miscommunication and distrust.

I'm pretty sure Pan would be pro-aff. Increasing economic and diplomatic ties sounds like the opposite of containment to me.

Funny enough, I think there might be a more realism oriented argument on the neg, about how increasing talks actually increases tensions between the two countries because of miscommunication and distrust.

Pan did just recently write in his book a criticism of the way in which the west attempts to economically bring China into its global economic system.

• Upvote 5

Pan did just recently write in his book a criticism of the way in which the west attempts to economically bring China into its global economic system.

Could anyone link me/pm me a copy of this book or Pan's latest work(s), I'd really appreciate it

• Upvote 1

Hey does anyone have a pdf of Pan's book from 2012? (or his original one)

Shunning, Suffering reps, securitization will come up again. The others have been mentioned, but currently I'm reading lit on American Exceptionalism, Gift, and Pan and I already have the links for securitization from my block file. K lit will become very relevant next year (as always it'll be "lit"). 

• Upvote 5

I don't know how, but I think there could be some potential with hauntology and the Chinese Exclusion Act, (america's first immigration policy) or something like america's occupation of China & open door policy in the early 1900's

• Upvote 3

I would prep out a Zizek K, Scmitt K and some sort of Orientalism/Colonialism K

So, what exactly would be the link of the gift K?

There are multiple versions, but it's basically a colonizer gives the oppressed a bit of leeway or freedom to legitimize their other terrible acts. It's a critique of reciprocity in exchanges.

Buddhism might be good. 

Hmmm. Maybe, although I think that as AFF a buddhism K would link to hell of a lot of stuff. I've watched a lot of Alan Watts videos and it seems like Buddhism could work well under the lens of DnG.

There is also Taoism, but I wouldn't recommend that.

I think Semio-Capitalism will be pretty big(at least in the Houston circuit *hint *hint).
I also really like the idea of running Eastern philosophy on this topic; I feel as though Spivak will be a pretty solid author, and that there will be a very deep discussion on colonialism and imperialism.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

BIG? Where's the link to the topic?

Essentially, I forsee a blackness Kritik having a huge Silence link, there's also the "War Back Home" link to fopo. Also, you could run generic reform/legalism links against kritkal affs. I don't forsee it being huge, but it would be safe to have answers.

• Upvote 2

what is the title of the book, if you don't mind?

• Upvote 1

Does Pan realize that China wants to bring itself into the global economic system? It helps them out too.

what is the title of the book, if you don't mind?

Knowledge, Desire and Power in Global Politics: Western Representations of China's Rise

does anyone have a pdf of this book btw?

Knowledge, Desire and Power in Global Politics: Western Representations of China's Rise

does anyone have a pdf of this book btw?

If anybody has this please message me it as well! It would be much appreciated! 

Does Pan realize that China wants to bring itself into the global economic system? It helps them out too.

Of course not.  (Or more likely, he knows it at some level, but his precommitments demand he denies that truth even to himself).  Reality isn't invited into these kinds of "critical" discussions.  It would only contradict the 'beautiful' theory they're developing, and we couldn't have that.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 5

Of course not.  (Or more likely, he knows it at some level, but his precommitments demand he denies that truth even to himself).  Reality isn't invited into these kinds of "critical" discussions.  It would only contradict the 'beautiful' theory they're developing, and we couldn't have that.

I think that Pan's criticism is more attuned towards the justification and symbolic construction that underlies economic engagement with China - Even if China wants it, the narrative of United States exceptionalism is bolstered because the West frames them as a people who need our help. I don't think it's so much about a question regarding whether China wants it or not but rather the discursive justifications utilized by the West to engage in that economic engagement with China. I mean, it's gonna happen either way, what Pan want's to interrogate is the justifications we use to produce that economic engagement (i.e. Oriental constructions of China that frame them as a savage people in need of our help - rather than the very advanced society that they really are).  

This is literally what happened in the Latin American topic - a bunch of teams read that X country wants it, but that doesn't remove the fact that we (as in the West) unconsciously foster a narrative that replicates the same type of logic that was used for United States imperialism in the late 1800's (i.e. the notion that the "backyard" of the United States was full of savage, uneducated, monkeys that needed to be educated and "assimilated" to Western society). 

Edited by Theparanoiacmachine
  • Upvote 6