I have been studying up on baudrillard literature and noticed that he talks about a lot. And the question that I would pose is that what critique would be the best for the purposes of winning a round. I really like the idea of the catastrophe fix and the whole terrorism performance thing. But i'm not sure how they hold up in round. Any advice would be helpful.

Well (in my experience) nearly every version of Baudrillard has been run and won on. I think the most common versions are the hyperreal stuff and suffering reps k. Many of his other work is repeated by different authors.

Difference vs. Otherness and the Death K are both really good criticisms. Another thing that Baudrillard talks about (which nobody in the high school area has cut) is Dualism.

Difference vs. Otherness and the Death K are both really good criticisms. Another thing that Baudrillard talks about (which nobody in the high school area has cut) is Dualism.

A lot of people talk about dualism 

How is Difference vs. Otherness not an example of Dualism, and by extension why isn't the Death K (I'm assuming you're talking about the reversibility of death) an example of dualism as well?

Edited by Theparanoiacmachine

A lot of people talk about dualism 

How is Difference vs. Otherness not an example of Dualism, and by extension why isn't the Death K (I'm assuming you're talking about the reversibility of death) an example of dualism as well?

I don't see how dualism in the context of meta-ethics of Good vs. Evil is relayed in either of those. (which is what I was referring to)

Edited by DonaldTrump

I don't see how dualism in the context of meta-ethics of Good vs. Evil is relayed in either of those. (which is what I was referring to)

It is all in the context of "meta-ethics." Duality refers to the nature of global power, oppositions etc. The political order commands that the dead are evil and you shall not die. The system allows you to be different, but radical otherness persists. Baudrillard is a thinker of Duality, and unsurprisingly nearly all of his theories relate back to that tension and that indeterminacy. 

• Upvote 2

It is all in the context of "meta-ethics." Duality refers to the nature of global power, oppositions etc. The political order commands that the dead are evil and you shall not die. The system allows you to be different, but radical otherness persists. Baudrillard is a thinker of Duality, and unsurprisingly nearly all of his theories relate back to that tension and that indeterminacy. 

Ah, that makes more sense. I was thinking more about his stuff on 'speaking evil' and its relation to our understanding of ethics, not necessarily the larger picture. Thanks for the clarification. 

The strength of a K lies with the debater. that being said i know that many people fare well with Temple of Knowledge type Kritiks, but anecdotally one of the best teams at my school will often read a Symbolic Terrorism K, which involves taking the aff hostage, whatever that means