arealguru

Buddhism K Aff

Alright so next years topic is coming up and I think that an interesting K aff would be cool to run.

If someone has a buddhism k file or a buddhism k aff file that I can use I'd really appreciate it. Any year's file will work well honestly, just seeing older styles of it being run shouldn't hurt. 

Edited by arealguru
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

i dont think budhism k is a good strat, it should be easy to argue. just say that neg wants to win the debate and that is an earthly desire. turns k

• Upvote 4

buddhism would and can work if framed correctly - read into buddhist views on economics .

like this would be something to start with if you need a direction to be pointed - ill find mine ?

i dont think budhism k is a good strat, it should be easy to argue. just say that neg wants to win the debate and that is an earthly desire. turns k

Not if they're doing it correctly, which is to have a double-loss as the alternative to purge ourselves of earthly desire. 

• Upvote 2

Not if they're doing it correctly, which is to have a double-loss as the alternative to purge ourselves of earthly desire. 

So if the alt calls for a double-loss, how do you win?

So there's a couple things I can think of. I'm a novice debater so this might be really stupid but we'll see. 

This is if you are neg. I can't think of anything on aff right now.

First you engage in less of greed with the ballot. Against a role of the ballot aff or during cross ex, I bet you'd simply ask what it means for the aff team to receive a ballot. Most teams answer with stuff about social change and changing the mindset through the ballot. It's not difficult to make them concede that victory is necessary to get their point out (and in my mind its really not).

You can explain you have less greed because you want the ballot as means of a rejection. your alternative must be a reject the aff alternative to work. If they try to link or perfcon you into the Buddhism K for greed you can explain that by purging out greed you can engage in smaller greed. This works because the actions the neg engages in are to purge greed and to win means a simple rejection not to affirm any belief system. The negative greed and attachment to the ballot is far less because you would like to make a point to reject the intertwining relationships of lets say economics and what the aff is pushing for right? The other team's greed outweighs you because they would like to make change at a much larger scale and a greater means because that's how aff's usually work (in my circuit atleast). The neg wants to make a change at a much smaller level at the simple cost of the ballot which is much smaller, than lets say this economic global spread change. There's still a net benefit at the cost of greed for the ballot which is much smaller than anyone else in the round. 

This is where this comes in:

have a double-loss as the alternative to purge ourselves of earthly desire. 

As long as your link overwhelms the other teams double turn link I'm sure this would work. This is my idea of running it on neg at least. I don't know if this makes much sense but I think you'd be able to make something out of it.

The neg would win because they have less obstacles to go to get rid of earthly desire. The ballot is the only thing that stands in their way and if they can make the contest of not having a true desire for it, but just rejecting the aff from grabbing it as their story it is by no doubt that the neg wins in the set of losses or the neg loses less than the aff in the round.

Edited by arealguru
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

I think that Buddhism would call for a mindset shift away from being focused on winning. Win or loss, your message gets out and that is all that matters in the grand scheme of things; helping others reach enlightenment or awakening is the purpose of Buddhism (if you are a Mahayana Buddhist).

• Upvote 2