Johnathan

Opinions on Critical Arguments

A lot of non policy debaters on my team always look me and other policy debaters funny when we start talking about some of the more extravagant K's in the same way people always talk about policy as the "nuke war debate" But I've always wondered, what are the opinions of the debate community at large about K's, obviously most people agree with the starting points of bigotry bad etc, but what do debaters actually think of things like anti blackness, queer theory, third wave feminism, etc.

I honestly can't speak for everyone. For me personally, I would say I believe at least a little of what I am talking about when I read something critical. The alt, is where I start to doubt it because they are usually not how I would fix the problem. Overall, I think some debaters do strongly believe in what they talk about during the round, making their debate ability stronger.

Like Leffen I can't speak for everyone, but I come from a very traditional area. I was told the first three years of my debate life that Ks were cheating and abusive. It was this year I actually started to read the literature and learn how to run Ks. It's opened my eyes to the world around me in such a way I feel I can more positively engage in it.

Edited by harper231
  • Upvote 3

The criticism that *most people believe the least in is Marxism. Nearly everyone runs it but my money says that the majority of them would never wish for a transition away from capitalism. 

• Upvote 1

The criticism that *most people believe the least in is Marxism. Nearly everyone runs it but my money says that the majority of them would never wish for a transition away from capitalism. 

Some do, but they don't understand the impossibility of a transition away from capitalism (See Baudrillard and Bifo for more information). 

• Upvote 2

but but cap is the root cause of everything

• Upvote 5

On the AFF I like some sort of topical policy action, but then all K advantages. That way you don't have to worry about framework, but you still get debate of a K level. The only flaw is a bunch that people go crazy with Ks that say state can't solve against you. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 5

On the AFF I like some sort of topical policy action, but then all K advantages. That way you don't have to worry about framework, but you still get debate of a K level. The only flaw is a bunch that people go crazy with Ks that say state can't solve against you. 

I disagree with that- I think running a K aff is strategic in that the only two arguments you REALLY have to be worried about is framework and the Cap K. Reading a more kritikal policy aff leaves you open to every counterplan, DA, AND any easy links to kritiks that criticize state action.

I've read a middle of the road aff all year, and while it was beneficial in that it was easy to garner link turns to a lot of kritiks, any alright Counterplan-DA strategy could easily win you the debate.

I disagree with that- I think running a K aff is strategic in that the only two arguments you REALLY have to be worried about is framework and the Cap K. Reading a more kritikal policy aff leaves you open to every counterplan, DA, AND any easy links to kritiks that criticize state action.

I've read a middle of the road aff all year, and while it was beneficial in that it was easy to garner link turns to a lot of kritiks, any alright Counterplan-DA strategy could easily win you the debate.

Middle of the road affs are particularly good in certain areas- my circuit is really k heavy so I don't really have to deal with cp-da. The only cp I've seen run was some weird exec olc cp that was really sketch.