queenofdisaster

where are the famous debaters now?

especially nate sawyer! where has he disappeared to?

this list also includes:

• marcel roman
  • sam iola
  • matt andrews
  • keenan harris
  • WGLF PEOPLE
  • nate saywer. pls where is this man
  • natalie knez
  • Upvote 1

<p>especially nate sawyer! where has he disappeared to?this list also includes:

• marcel roman
  • sam iola
  • matt andrews
  • keenan harris
  • WGLF PEOPLE
  • natalie knez
Marcel: I think going to grad school somewhere, and then I think he'll do something with the military corps.

Sam: I know he went to UC Santa Cruz, I'm not sure where he is now.

Matt: Is this him:https://mobile.twitter.com/governwell?lang=en ? If not I have no idea.

Keenan: Went to Wake and debates there. Pretty sure he got into a car crash, but he is alright.

WGLF: John (no offense, but the bigger one) is (or training to be) a lawyer in Georgia. I'm not sure about the other one.

Nate: I know he is/was in college in Emory (?) And he also was taking trips to China. If you really want to know, I could probably get the information by Wednesday.

Natalie: I think she's at Georgetown and she is debating there.

• Upvote 3

howcome i aint heard of none of these? i been in debate for like 6 years

You haven't heard of WGLF? You haven't lived yet

I've come across a fair number of former debaters on LinkedIn working for analytics companies hosted in Washington DC.

Also, just looked it up, apparently Layne Kirshon is an economics PhD now. Not really surprising.

Marcel: I think going to grad school somewhere, and then I think he'll do something with the military corps.

Sam: I know he went to UC Santa Cruz, I'm not sure where he is now.

Matt: Is this him:https://mobile.twitter.com/governwell?lang=en ? If not I have no idea.

Keenan: Went to Wake and debates there. Pretty sure he got into a car crash, but he is alright.

WGLF: John (no offense, but the bigger one) is (or training to be) a lawyer in Georgia. I'm not sure about the other one.

Nate: I know he is/was in college in Emory (?) And he also was taking trips to China. If you really want to know, I could probably get the information by Wednesday.

Natalie: I think she's at Georgetown and she is debating there.

it would be kind of nice to know where nate is, but if it's too much of a hassle, you don't have to. i was looking through the college case lists the other day and i was wondering where nate was. since he graduated the same year as my sibling, he should be a senior in college now, right?

i'm not sure about matt, but i'll edit this post when i ask my sibling because he wanted to know where matt andrews is.

otherwise, thanks!

Nate is a junior at Emory and doesn't debate anymore. Keenan is at Wake and doesn't debate anymore. Marcel definitely still debates at Kentucky. As far as West GA people go, James Thomas is a lawyer now and Joe Koehle is a coach at Kansas State. 

• Upvote 4

especially nate sawyer! where has he disappeared to?

this list also includes:

• marcel roman
  • sam iola
  • matt andrews
  • keenan harris
  • WGLF PEOPLE
  • natalie knez

RUSSIAN COMMUNIST PRISON. ALL OF 'EM

• Upvote 2

Past NDT winners (all bio information from Wikipedia NDT page links):

Laurence Henry Tribe (1961) is a professor of constitutional law at Harvard Law School.

W. Barnett Pearce (1965) is co-Principal of Pearce Associates

Elliot Mincberg (1973) Senior Fellow, People For the American Way Foundation

Greg Rosenbaum (1974) is an American merchant banker. He is currently the co-principal owner and co-chair of the Dyton Dragons minor league baseball club.

Robert C. Rowland (1976) is a professor in the Department of Communication Studies at the University of Kansas

Stuart H. Singer (1978) is the managing partner of the Bowles, Schiller & Flexnerlaw firm's Fort Lauderdale, Florida office. He specializes in complex business litigation and represents clients such as NASCAR Carnival Cruise Lines, Florida Power and Light, and Tyco International.

Edited by CouldaBeenaContenda
  • Upvote 2

Unfortunately Keenan did not survive the car crash and is currently selling fancy cheeses somewhere in the sixth circle of Hell. If you still want to get in touch with him for autographs or interviews, he can usually be contacted via seance but tends to be a little irritable when summoned. 

Edited by kdsuper
  • Upvote 4

Unfortunately Keenan did not survive the car crash and is currently selling fancy cheeses somewhere in the sixth circle of Hell. If you still want to get in touch with him for autographs or interviews, he can usually be contacted through seance but tends to be a little irritable when summoned.

I know you are joking, but is this offensive? I'm actually not sure.
  • Upvote 1

RUSSIAN COMMUNIST PRISON. ALL OF 'EM

Actually the information given regarding Keenan Harris and Nate Sawyer is outdated. Although yes, they were both interned for a time in a Russian Gulag, Keenan and Nate were able to escape. During an intense blizzard, they were able to scale the walls via snowdrifts that accumulated in the prison yard and flee to freedom. Unfortunately Nate perished from exposure in the ice deserts of Siberia, but Keenan persisted and got away. After returning to Wake Forest, He resumed his academic regiment but decided to change majors. He is currently pursuing a Bachelor degree in film (and minoring in cheese-making). For his thesis he is focusing on the cultural significance of collaboration between old and new entertainment icons and their impact on the American audience. He's currently demonstrating the ideas expressed in his thesis by creating a shot for shot remake of the hit HBO series The Wire wherein every character sings their lines in the lyrical style of Joanna Newsom. 

Note: If you look closely at any given episode in the series (he is currently tackling season 3) you will notice that at least one frame contains Newsom's husband, Andy Sandberg, playing the harp in the background of the shot where he glares menacingly at the camera and brandishes a sign that reads "JRH:NBR".

Edited by IAmJohnSpurlock
  • Upvote 6

Actually the information given regarding Keenan Harris and Nate Sawyer is outdated. Although yes, they were both interned for a time in a Russian Gulag, Keenan and Nate were able to escape. During an intense blizzard, they were able to scale the walls via snowdrifts that accumulated in the prison yard and flee to freedom. Unfortunately Nate perished from exposure in the ice deserts of Siberia, but Keenan persisted and got away. After returning to Wake Forest, He resumed his academic regiment but decided to change majors. He is currently pursuing a Bachelor degree in film (and minoring in cheese-making). For his thesis he is focusing on the cultural significance of collaboration between old and new entertainment icons and their impact on the American audience. He's currently demonstrating the ideas expressed in his thesis by creating a shot for shot remake of the hit HBO series The Wire wherein every character sings their lines in the lyrical style of Joanna Newsom. 

Note: If you look closely at any given episode in the series (he is currently tackling season 3) you will notice that at least one frame contains Newsom's husband, Andy Sandberg, playing the harp in the background of the shot where he glares menacingly at the camera and brandishes a sign that reads "JRH:NBR".

interesting.... where was spurlock in all of this??

also: IAmJohnSpurlock

school: northwestern

perfcons are bad

So I just learned this recently, but Nate's the cousin of my brother's best friend (small world). Should I ask him how Nate's doing?

So I just learned this recently, but Nate's the cousin of my brother's best friend (small world). Should I ask him how Nate's doing?

a small world indeed omg

if you can, that would be cool! if it's too much of a hassle, don't worry about it-- after all, i think what's on this thread is good enough :^)

I just discovered that 1972 Top Speaker Terry McKnight of Canisius died in 2014.  He had been 4th speaker in 1971.  I saw him debate twice, beating Elliott Minceberg and Ron Marmer of Northwestern in Semis at Dartmouth in 1972, before losing in Finals to Dallas Perkins (now, Harvard coach) and Howard Beales of Georgetown.  It was a pretty shabby final round, leading me to suspect that perhaps Canisius was breaking out a new affirmative case.  That was the last year of the "old" system, where a team could qualify for the NDT either by winning one of the ten designated qualifying tournaments or by losing in Finals to a team that had previously qualified, yet neither team went to the NDT as a result of their finals appearance there that year, as Georgetown declined its invitation and Canisius had previously qualified.

http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/burlingtonfreepress/obituary.aspx?n=TERRANCE-ROBERT-MCKNIGHT&pid=173340418

• Upvote 1

I just discovered that 1972 Top Speaker Terry McKnight of Canisius died in 2014.  He had been 4th speaker in 1971.  I saw him debate twice, beating Elliott Minceberg and Ron Marmer of Northwestern in Semis at Dartmouth in 1972, and then he lost in Finals to Dallas Perkins and Howard Beales of Georgetown.  It was a pretty shabby final round, leading me to suspect that perhaps Canisius was breaking out a new affirmative case.  That was the last year of the "old" system, where a team could qualify for the NDT either by winning one of the ten designated qualifying tournaments or by losing in Finals to a team that had previously qualified, yet neither team went to the NDT as a result of their finals appearance there, as Georgetown declined its invitation and Canisius had previously qualified.

http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/burlingtonfreepress/obituary.aspx?n=TERRANCE-ROBERT-MCKNIGHT&pid=173340418

You seem like an old man? How old are you?

Anyways, we now have quaram robinson and sion bell to add to the list of debate legends.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

I'm not old.  I'm 64. :D

Terry McKnight was perhaps the last successful, slow talker, and truth be told, he got some wins just because a lot of older judges wanted debate to continue to sound like that.  A lay audience could listen to a speech of his and come away from it having understood what he had said.

McKnight's affirmative plan in the final round at Dartmouth was something to mitigate some injustices that he claimed Puerto Ricans endured in that era.  I think it was to exempt them from the Selective Service System's military draft, and to do something for them regarding Federal Income Taxation.  I don't know if that was the affirmative case he took to NDT that year, but he and his partner reached quarters.

• Upvote 4