Morganfreeman

toc qualifing

how hard is it to TOC qual? how much work is needed? Is it doable? anybody have a complete list of all the teams that have qualified this year? 

Edited by Morganfreeman
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Qualifying to the Tournament of Champions is made possible only when a team has at least two bids from Tournament of Champions qualifying bid tournaments; prominent tournaments that offer a lot of bids in the octofinalist levels are UMich, Cal Berkeley, Harvard, etc. as such, the more bids a tournament gives out, the more debaters will show up; for instance, a team such as CPS or Notre Dame won't go to a local tournament in favor of attending UMich because they have a higher probability of acquiring a bid from UMich as opposed to a local tournament. As such, most ToC Bid tournaments are highly competitive and usually have high levels of skill (for a high school debate), making it incredibly difficult to earn a bid. This is why teams such as Little Rock Central Woods and Williams, or Caddo Magnet CM from last year, are regarded with such praise; because they are constantly acquiring bids from tournaments that are incredibly hard to get bids in the first place. 

It is possible to qualify to the ToC if you're from a small school but you're gonna have to really focus and put emphasis on debate since you're gonna be facing a bunch of debaters that come from schools with college debaters coaching them from schools such as Towson or Harvard, or have coaches that have previously won the NDT/CEDA; the odds are literally stacked against you, but it is possible. 

You generally have to do dedicate nearly ALL your time to debate, sans some time for doing your homework or studying for school, in order to reach the same level of debate that other, much more advanced teams are doing in the national circuit. This raises another issue; to acquire bids to the ToC, one necessarily has to attend those tournaments in the first place, as such most of these teams are known as "national circuit debaters" since they travel all around the United States attending different tournaments and winning bids. This is only a select few, however, as most debaters don't have the luxury of being from a prestigious program, or having the money to travel all the time; then there's the problem of signing up or the tournament, paying for all the fees (including the invitation fee, the hotel fees, food fees, airplane fees, etc.) and then not showing results because of the amount of produced talent (I say produced since most of the kids you're up against spend upwards of $6,000 to attend prestigious debate camps during the summer) that you're up against.

Pretty much; you have to be both a hard worker and really rich in order to qualify to the ToC if you're not part of a good program or school.

National Circuit debate is definitely for the privileged so it's best you just focus on school and spend a lot of time practicing in your local circuit and team so that you can get into a good school (with a full ride scholarship) with a good program and compete for them once you're in college and expenses are no longer an issue. 

Edit 1: You can check out https://hsimpact.wordpress.com to see the teams that are currently qualified to the ToC, how many bids they have, which tournaments give out bids, which have passed and which have not; they usually update them every few weeks and at the start of the season they always release which tournaments will have ToC bids for that year. 

Edited by Theparanoiacmachine
  • Upvote 5

Qualifying to the Tournament of Champions is made possible only when a team has at least two bids from Tournament of Champions qualifying bid tournaments; prominent tournaments that offer a lot of bids in the octofinalist levels are UMich, Cal Berkeley, Harvard, etc. as such, the more bids a tournament gives out, the more debaters will show up; for instance, a team such as CPS or Notre Dame won't go to a local tournament in favor of attending UMich because they have a higher probability of acquiring a bid from UMich as opposed to a local tournament. As such, most ToC Bid tournaments are highly competitive and usually have high levels of skill (for a high school debate), making it incredibly difficult to earn a bid. This is why teams such as Little Rock Central Woods and Williams, or Caddo Magnet CM from last year, are regarded with such praise; because they are constantly acquiring bids from tournaments that are incredibly hard to get bids in the first place. 

It is possible to qualify to the ToC if you're from a small school but you're gonna have to really focus and put emphasis on debate since you're gonna be facing a bunch of debaters that come from schools with college debaters coaching them from schools such as Towson or Harvard, or have coaches that have previously won the NDT/CEDA; the odds are literally stacked against you, but it is possible. 

You generally have to do dedicate nearly ALL your time to debate, sans some time for doing your homework or studying for school, in order to reach the same level of debate that other, much more advanced teams are doing in the national circuit. This raises another issue; to acquire bids to the ToC, one necessarily has to attend those tournaments in the first place, as such most of these teams are known as "national circuit debaters" since they travel all around the United States attending different tournaments and winning bids. This is only a select few, however, as most debaters don't have the luxury of being from a prestigious program, or having the money to travel all the time; then there's the problem of signing up or the tournament, paying for all the fees (including the invitation fee, the hotel fees, food fees, airplane fees, etc.) and then not showing results because of the amount of produced talent (I say produced since most of the kids you're up against spend upwards of $6,000 to attend prestigious debate camps during the summer) that you're up against.

Pretty much; you have to be both a hard worker and really rich in order to qualify to the ToC if you're not part of a good program or school.

National Circuit debate is definitely for the privileged so it's best you just focus on school and spend a lot of time practicing in your local circuit and team so that you can get into a good school (with a full ride scholarship) with a good program and compete for them once you're in college and expenses are no longer an issue. 

Edit 1: You can check out https://hsimpact.wordpress.com to see the teams that are currently qualified to the ToC, how many bids they have, which tournaments give out bids, which have passed and which have not; they usually update them every few weeks and at the start of the season they always release which tournaments will have ToC bids for that year.

I'm just going to expand one one point: debating in college is a hell of a lot cheaper than debating in high school. It varies based on University, but for most established programs (and i don't just mean like Harvard, but basically most of the schools that are more than 5 or 10 years old) you don't have to pay any or hardly any money to debate. For example, where I debate, everything is covered by the school, and Emory covers everything but the meals (from what I've heard). This is because unless you go to one of those ridiculously rich high schools, your university is going to have a heck of a lot more money to throw at programs.

I am from an independenet school (pretty much lone wolf) and i agree with everything above. I dont even listen in classes, i just sit on my laptop and prep. the exception being, i am not super wealthy. as such, got a job to cover traveling expenses. 

But yes, it can be done. I finished my qual to the TOC at emory.

Edited by CosmicLobster

I am from an independenet school (pretty much lone wolf) and i agree with everything above. I dont even listen in classes, i just sit on my laptop and prep. he exception being, i am not super wealthy, and as such, have had to get a job to cover traveling expenses. 

But yes, it can be done. I finished my qual to the TOC at emory.

the only team that bid at emory from texas was st. marks kp...

the only team that bid at emory from texas was st. marks kp...

s/he might be in LD

• Upvote 2

Does anybody know of a team qualifying that is from a relatively small school?

If so, how did they pay for the expenses and such?

Idk, but as stated above you could be from a small school but be wealthy enough to travel to tournys. Or you could be lucky and live near the states where a lot of tourney's happen...

LRCH WW. They pay out of pocket usually

CE Byrd GN, Sam Gustavson said a couple of years ago on here that they mainly did school/local fundraisers to attend different tournaments 

I believe Walter Payton is a "relatively small school" from a UDL that has been qualifying teams to the ToC in the past 3-4 years; based on the YouTube videos I've seen of their program, mainly from Meg Young, they're relatively "new" to the scene 

Edit 1: There's also CK McClatchy SH (Spurlock and Harris); I think they were a pretty small school back when they qualified, then they went on to win the 2013 ToC. 

Edited by Theparanoiacmachine

CE Byrd GN, Sam Gustavson said a couple of years ago on here that they mainly did school/local fundraisers to attend different tournaments 

I believe Walter Payton is a "relatively small school" from a UDL that has been qualifying teams to the ToC in the past 3-4 years; based on the YouTube videos I've seen of their program, mainly from Meg Young, they're relatively "new" to the scene 

Edit 1: There's also CK McClatchy SH (Spurlock and Harris); I think they were a pretty small school back when they qualified, then they went on to win the 2013 ToC. 

Polytechnic AA

I'm not sure I'd primarily characterize Walter Payton as a UDL school.  They're affiliated with CDL, but they're in the RCC division, which is the regional circuit conference.  Basically, it's schools that are in the CDL area, but aren't actually funded by CDL (they fund their own programs).  It also includes Evanston, Lanetech, Northside College Prep, and Whitney Young.  (CDL has a city tournament at the end of the year which requires teams to qualify for it, and in addition to the few tournaments they participate with the LCC conference, they are allowed to count placements at select regional tournaments for qualifying purposes as if they were CDL tournaments).  Now, they're part of the UDL for many purposes, including ability to qualify for NAUDL, but these are schools that would have programs regardless of whether CDL existed or not.

And it may well be the case that Walter Payton started as a standard CDL school and its program took off and became internally funded and an active national debate team from there.  I'm pretty sure that's what happened to Lanetech.

A school which is solidly part of CDL and historically qualified teams to TOC is Morgan Park, but that was like a decade ago.

(This is all to the best of my understanding - I apologize if I've made an error).

Edited by Squirrelloid
  • Upvote 1