debateak

stupid things to do in congress

bro that's kinda not cool b/c people actually take congress seriously (just my opinion-- you can disregard it if it doesnt float your boat) but if you really want to screw around do pun speeches, RUN CIRCUMVENTION, give speeches about the dollar menu, call the chamber racist, get a judge blacklisted, short circuit like marco rubio, stuff like that

also impeach the p.o/nominate a p.o that doesn't know what they're doing unlike obama who know exactly what he's doing! 

my first congress round (which is my only congress round thus far) had a piece of legislation about the usps and a kid had a three minute pun about twins (once you've seen juan youve seen the other) be that kid

• Upvote 9

bro that's kinda not cool b/c people actually take congress seriously (just my opinion-- you can disregard it if it doesnt float your boat) but if you really want to screw around do pun speeches, RUN CIRCUMVENTION, give speeches about the dollar menu, call the chamber racist, get a judge blacklisted, short circuit like marco rubio, stuff like that

also impeach the p.o/nominate a p.o that doesn't know what they're doing unlike obama who know exactly what he's doing! 

my first congress round (which is my only congress round thus far) had a piece of legislation about the usps and a kid had a three minute pun about twins (once you've seen juan youve seen the other) be that kid

it appears you experienced some pretty dank memes 

• Upvote 3

what does "get a judge blacklisted" mean?

it appears you experienced some pretty dank memes

the highest memes in the realm

what does "get a judge blacklisted" mean?

it means getting the judge banned for doing questionably unethical things ie making people cry Edited by queenofdisaster

Instead of giving speeches on the topic, just recite songs that somewhat relate to the issue at hand. Must be at least 2 minutes and 50 seconds.

My friend just recited Baby by Justin Bieber in a monotone voice last year when he was in Congress as a filler.

• Upvote 5

Make your speech a series of palindromes.  Bonus if its actually about the bill.

Give a speech in shakespearean couplets. 

Along those lines, something in free verse with odd pauses could also be pretty entertaining.

Give a speech that primarily alliterates on one letter.  Think the V speech from V for Vendetta.

Make absurdist amendments.

If it's not too late, send in a bill guaranteed to make people freak out or wtf alot.  (One of the bills I submitted back when i did Congress mandated every citizen get implanted with an electronic chip that included identity and financial information.  I provoked 'mark of the beast' speeches from others students!)

Get called for a speech in opposition, then do your best Ted Cruz impression and read "Green Eggs and Ham."

Turn your opposition speech into an Afropessimism K.

Do your best Bernie Sanders impression. Get the right judge and it might not even be trolling! When I judged Congress at Glenbrooks this year, I bumped a debater up into ranks just for dropping the usual Student Congress style and railing against the banks like Bernie for 3 minutes. Hey, the ballot says to evaluate the participants as congresspeople...

• Upvote 4

Act like Obama and give the State of the Union Address (that's what I did, people in my chamber thought it was pretty funny).

If you know someone in your room that also does another event ask them ridiculous questions after his speech. Ask questions like what aff are you running tomorrow or where did you find that one card. Or just ask stuff like what if your favorite color, etc. 

• Upvote 1

Spread your speech super fast and take huge gasps of air and then fall down to the ground like you fainted. Then, get up and be like ready for cross-x

• Upvote 3

Bernie Sanders Impression- worked in extemp.

"We have a yuge* problem in America today." 

"The top 10 puhcent* of the top 80 puhcent of the top 32 puhcent of Americans control 99% of our income..." 

*Say yuge, not huge

*Say puhcent, not percent

you can be like the people in my supersession at nat quals and spend multiple speeches talking about how we only have so much political capital. 

• Upvote 2

Give an "order" like "It'll be the T the K and Case" and take old flows with you and give a rebuttal re-do. Then during the cross-examination period answer the questions as if you gave an actual Congress speech pertaining to the docket. 

Give an "order" like "It'll be the T the K and Case" and take old flows with you and give a rebuttal re-do. Then during the cross-examination period answer the questions as if you gave an actual Congress speech pertaining to the docket. 

Also throw in the the Time Cube K for giggles

• Upvote 1