When reading postmodern/higher theory K's like Baudrillard or Deleuze how have you all answered the "Materiality DA's/Links" that identity teams read against you. For example, if you were reading a Puar aff that defended fluidity, how would you answer things like "x bodies are still marked as abject, no racist white dude is gonna be the queer suicide terrorist/let go of entrenched identity categories". 

Typically, my answers have just been "we solve broader aspects of violence b/c staticness is the root cause of all impacts" and stuff like try-or-die, but I'm in desperate need of better responses to this, thanks. 

When reading postmodern/higher theory K's like Baudrillard or Deleuze how have you all answered the "Materiality DA's/Links" that identity teams read against you. For example, if you were reading a Puar aff that defended fluidity, how would you answer things like "x bodies are still marked as abject, no racist white dude is gonna be the queer suicide terrorist/let go of entrenched identity categories". 

Typically, my answers have just been "we solve broader aspects of violence b/c staticness is the root cause of all impacts" and stuff like try-or-die, but I'm in desperate need of better responses to this, thanks. 

I may be wrong on this but to me this seems a lot like an argument ONLY teams defending some aspects of oppression that are "ontological," in the same way Wilderson describes the suffering of black bodies, can make

Identity as described by Deleuze and Guattari, for instance, is something political as it is produced vis a vis the encounters we have with people (for instance, the CEO of a Company will be a boss to her employers, a mother to her sons, a daughter to her father, and so on and so on...). It follows then that if identity it political, politics centered on the somewhat scrambling of those axioms serves as a way to break down those structures. I think that the acceptance of, as an example, rhizomatics allows us to necessarily break down forms of oppression grounded within identity. For instance, how does on get rid of violence committed against queer bodies (or bodies that follow within the heteronormative framework)? By getting rid of the heteronormative system (which operates in sexual binaries) all together because if we do away with identity in itself then there can't be violence committed against X group of people. Obviously the actual argument is far more nuanced than what I summarized above but this is just my understanding of it.

I feel like the arguments your hitting are saying that we can get rid of X categories of identification but we can't do away with the oppression that upholds them (for instance, we can do away with heteronormativity, but that doesn't mean X-phobic people are gonna necessarily stop abusing the people who used to not identify with heteronormative categories). I think that you need to do more thesis level work on what Deleuze and Guattari (I'm saying this because you mentioned Puar) see the world to be; if you recall Deleuze and Guattari's work is described by I believe it to be Seem as a "materialist psychiatry" this is because Deleuze and Guattari view everything in the world as being a machine, a machine that can plug into other machines. Therefore, if you explain how these machines work; you can further apply this as a response against teams say "you can get rid of X as a factor of categorization but you can't get rid of the underlying bias people have against X) because you resolve the micro-fascst intent people develop whenever they have arborescent investments of desire (and this requires even more explanation; you pretty much have to answer "Why do the masses desire their own repression" in the round to access anything said above).

I'd look into faciality if i were you; check out Harvard BS's round against Towson in the break rounds of the NDT last year to see faciality in action against anti-blackness. 

Edited by Theparanoiacmachine
  • Upvote 1