jenxtang

Statistics on womyn in debate?

Title is p explanatory. My friend needs this for an essay but are there any evidence (especially articles) that says that womyn don't participate in debate as much as men? Statistics would be rad. Also, preferably stuff on high school debate but stuff on college debate would be great too. 

Maybe NAUDLs are just weird, but I typically judge at least 50% female debaters.  My own squad is ~60/40 f/m.  And that's represented in debater success too. Of the teams in my conference that routinely break, most include at least one woman, and my squad's most successful team is two women.

I'd note the linked 'women in highschool debate' article is from 1989.  I'm guessing it's no longer accurate.  (Heck, it was probably inaccurate by the time i debated in the late 90s).  

UDL are definitely more diverse than the national circut. -- - need ask my partner what our actually stats are for the in general but its something like every 1 girl to 2-4 guys . I think its much harsher statics when we get to women of color....

-- - just ask me

• Upvote 1

the NSDA is currently working on a data project - preliminary ev suggests that women join at equal/slightly higher rates, and then drop out exponentially as years progress (frosh --> senior = higher --> lower). same for college, but at higher dropout rates.

I'd note the linked 'women in highschool debate' article is from 1989.  I'm guessing it's no longer accurate.  (Heck, it was probably inaccurate by the time i debated in the late 90s).

Back then half the pool was Saber tooth tigers and wholly mammoths so, yeah, probably a little off.

• Upvote 1