diantonion

K Lit to read?

Hey y'all,

I'm a semi-experienced policy debated from a fairly traditional/lay circuit and I have little experience with Kritiks. I'm looking to increase my knowledge of this form of argument, mainly just because I'm interested, but who knows when it could matter in a round.

I understand how Kritiks work in terms of structure, but where I hit a wall is in terms of actually understanding what the heck is being talked about. So my question to you all is this: What is some k literature that I should read in order to familiarize myself with some of the more common kritikal arguments? I'll leave it up to all of you to decide what qualifies as "more common kritikal arguments."

Capitalism and Schizophrenia by DnG -- this clear cut and easily understood book will really give you a straightforward and coherent look at some of the basic K lit

• Upvote 7

I know I'll be reading madame edwarda for some literature on how to run the criticism. But, perhaps the most common criticism, is that of the speed variety, which, If my understanding of other cross-x.com posts is to be beleived criticizes the affirmative for being too fast. Which is unfair. 

• Upvote 3

I know I'll be reading madame edwarda for some literature on how to run the criticism. But, perhaps the most common criticism, is that of the speed variety, which, If my understanding of other cross-x.com posts is to be beleived criticizes the affirmative for being too fast. Which is unfair. 

ya read the speed k lol

Capitalism and Schizophrenia by DnG -- this clear cut and easily understood book will really give you a straightforward and coherent look at some of the basic K lit

performative contradictions are BAD! 

error 101 does not compute 

• Upvote 8
  • Downvote 2

performative contradictions are BAD! 

error 101 does not compute 

People on this website seem to not understand basic sarcasm

• Upvote 5

He actually replied to your meme with an even deeper meme; a literal continuation of the original meme. His was not a misidentification of sarcasm but rather an affirmation of it.

Kappa 

• Upvote 5

I think Theparanoiacmachine put it quite well; I have not misidentified sarcasm but rather engaged with the metaphysical unintelligibility of sarcasm itself such that I have performatively doubled an even deeper performance of sarcasm and the estrangement of the glory of Gilles Deleuze and Felix Guattari. 

Also top kek (whatever the hell that means) 

VV                                                     VV

He actually replied to your meme with an even deeper meme; a literal continuation of the original meme. His was not a misidentification of sarcasm but rather an affirmation of it.

Kappa 

• Upvote 3

In all seriousness; it really depends on what you're interested in; for example, for next years topic (economic engagement with the Peoples Republic of China) are you more interested in the very obvious capitalist exploitation that'll result in almost every plan next year, or the racial stratification between the different ethnic groups in China; to name a few? There are different authors that you need to familiarize yourself for next years topic depending on what you're most interested about. I can assure you that if you're not interested, you won't argue the K's as easily as you would if you did enjoy the argument. I'd look into Neoliberalism K's and Race-esque K's for next year (so like Capitalism, Neoliberalism, Orientalism, Securitization, Race, etc.). Prominent authors that come to mind are Giroux, Said, Spivak, and Neocleous

In all seriousness; it really depends on what you're interested in; for example, for next years topic (economic engagement with the Peoples Republic of China) are you more interested in the very obvious capitalist exploitation that'll result in almost every plan next year, or the racial stratification between the different ethnic groups in China; to name a few? There are different authors that you need to familiarize yourself for next years topic depending on what you're most interested about. I can assure you that if you're not interested, you won't argue the K's as easily as you would if you did enjoy the argument. I'd look into Neoliberalism K's and Race-esque K's for next year (so like Capitalism, Neoliberalism, Orientalism, Securitization, Race, etc.). Prominent authors that come to mind are Giroux, Said, Spivak, and Neocleous

do camps give lectures on kritiks that pertain to the current topic?

do camps give lectures on kritiks that pertain to the current topic?

yes- a huge part of camp is learning topic specific arguments, and K labs in particular help contextualize kritiks to the given year's resolution 

I understand that you are being facetious here, so I'll keep this one on the backburner until I've tried my hand at some easier lit.

I would say that I'm interested in both, but I've been reading up on ethnic minorities in China and have found it very interesting, so I would probably lean towards the racial side of things. As for the specific authors you listed, I've read (as in read in round) some Giroux and Said, but I haven't really delved into their works beyond that. Would you recommend any specific pieces of work by these authors?

Hey y'all,

I'm a semi-experienced policy debated from a fairly traditional/lay circuit and I have little experience with Kritiks. I'm looking to increase my knowledge of this form of argument, mainly just because I'm interested, but who knows when it could matter in a round.

I understand how Kritiks work in terms of structure, but where I hit a wall is in terms of actually understanding what the heck is being talked about. So my question to you all is this: What is some k literature that I should read in order to familiarize myself with some of the more common kritikal arguments? I'll leave it up to all of you to decide what qualifies as "more common kritikal arguments."

Beating Ks doesn't require you to know the source material well, although it definitely helps. Beating Ks is all about understanding how the K is deployed in the round (is it pre/post fiat, what are the K tricks, etc.).

As far as source material, the only K teams (used liberally here) you'll hit in emo (which is pretty much Me/Nick tbh) are probably going to be reading Legalism, Security, or Cap K, none of which have real specific lit bases (they're all pretty generic arguments and don't rely on the philosophical works of one person), but I'll try to list some authors who could help in your understanding:

Legalism: this seems to be the go to K for Missouri (which means I've heard of JC and Nixa reading it). Look up National Security and Double Government by Michael J. Glennon. But basically, this is circumvention with an alt and impact.

Security (Paging ARGogate): there are a ton of people who write about security...actually just look up the cross-x user ARGogate and look through his post history. Chances are he'll already have explained everything you need to know.

Cap: Read up on Giroux some more, although he's more specific to neoliberalism (a term which he uses reallllly liberally), but he still provides some pretty good reads on what student resistance should look like to neolib, and explains how neolib/cap structures the world which could be useful to understand. I'd focus on learning Cap first because a lot of high theory is some really complex interpretation of how capitalism structures the world (and even if its not, Cap is really easy K to learn how K tricks work with). 

Oh also, if you have specific qs about the K crap Me/Nick read just pm me.

EDIT: Shit didn't mean to necro

Edited by Mummyhandgrenade