graymae

Gendered Language

Okay, thanks for the reply. I disagree with the last part of your argument. I think the counterfactual to teams reading activist arguments they don't believe in is not that those teams suddenly believe in their arguments and actually help the poor, it's that they continue to read arguments they don't believe in, but those arguments will not be activist ones. I do not feel that it's exploitative to use oppressed and suffering people's problems solely as a tool for winning the round. This blog I like to read has an essay that I think is relevant: http://slatestarcodex.com/2013/05/17/newtonian-ethics/. Many times, people's intuitions tell them that it's morally worse to acknowledge a problem and fail to solve it than it is to just ignore a problem, but I disagree with this intuition and try to resist it, even though its appeal is understandable to me and it probably exerts some bias on the way I think about responsibility.

I guess people should be allowed to read anything they want. I just don't like the ethics behind that specific piece.

For me, part of the process of forming beliefs and opinions is experimenting with ideas that one does not believe in, or only partially believes, or even finds repulsive and opposite the truth. I view debate as a place where people start to change and develop their beliefs, rather than as a place where people with already strong and justified beliefs go to share those beliefs.

Besides, why would the judge buy this argument anyways if you don't mean it? This is clearly a different case of in which you need to just point it out in CX. Then if they do it again, point it out in the next CX. But once it hit's the 3 time mark, then you can think that they are just being cynical and are doing it on purpose or something. Thus, the judge will see where your coming from once a Gendered language argument pops out of the 2NC's mouth or something. But if they are trying to correct themselves or are refering to you as guys because you are two dominant male species then you don't get the waver of being able to run something like that, if you do then your just being stupid and there is no reason for the judge to be such an asshole to vote on something like that. 

Besides, why would the judge buy this argument anyways if you don't mean it? This is clearly a different case of in which you need to just point it out in CX. Then if they do it again, point it out in the next CX. But once it hit's the 3 time mark, then you can think that they are just being cynical and are doing it on purpose or something. Thus, the judge will see where your coming from once a Gendered language argument pops out of the 2NC's mouth or something. But if they are trying to correct themselves or are refering to you as guys because you are two dominant male species then you don't get the waver of being able to run something like that, if you do then your just being stupid and there is no reason for the judge to be such an asshole to vote on something like that. 

sounds like someone has lost to glang before

Edited by DonaldTrump

sounds like someone has lost to glang before

Do you mean lang instead of glang as in language? But no, I have never gone against it before and I am very careful of my gendered language. Although, it would be a cool experience...hmmmm....

Edit: Ok, or do you mean glang as in the verb? Glaaang- verb- (1)To call attention to an inadvertent sexual inuendo. (2)To be sexual (3) To simulate a vagina with a hand shake gesture (4) To have sex (5) To have oral sex (6) To have sex-related swagger (7) To reach climax... See more

http://www.urbandictionary.com/author.php?author=Five+Glang+General

Edited by Juan
  • Downvote 1

Do you mean lang instead of glang as in language? But no, I have never gone against it before and I am very careful of my gendered language. Although, it would be a cool experience...hmmmm....

Edit: Ok, or do you mean glang as in the verb? Glaaang- verb- (1)To call attention to an inadvertent sexual inuendo. (2)To be sexual (3) To simulate a vagina with a hand shake gesture (4) To have sex (5) To have oral sex (6) To have sex-related swagger (7) To reach climax... See more

http://www.urbandictionary.com/author.php?author=Five+Glang+General

He means glang as in g-lang. Gendered Language

Edited by osahoniyamu
  • Upvote 2