Morganfreeman

What's so good about debate camps?

Is it necessary to attend a debate camp to become a good debater? I mean what are they good for?

They infect you with the disease of spreading.

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 25

They infect you with the disease of spreading.

Dear programmers of cross-x .com,

Please make a double down vote button.

• Upvote 10
  • Downvote 1

It is a lot of hours of instruction at a time where your skill would otherwise be getting rusty. Also, meeting and debating people who aren't from you team/circuit can expose you to new arguments and make you a more well-rounded debater. 

• Upvote 5

Is it necessary to attend a debate camp to become a good debater? I mean what are they good for?

At least in my circuit, novices aren't really taught to be kritikal at all. And unless you self teach it, the best way to learn it is in debate camp. 

Keep in mind it also isn't just about getting better at debate(which you will), it's about making friends that enjoy the same things you do, and are (maybe) as intelligent as you.

Like others have said it's right before the season, so you can test things without any real repercussions.

• Upvote 1

Unless you come from one of the National circuit schools, the lab leaders also probably know a lot more about policy debate.

It's also focused on skills improvement, which means instead of at home when you're slacking off or distracted by TV all the time, you're able to put your energy into getting better.

• Upvote 2

This just means they have a whole ton of money going towards debate right?

Most national circuit schools have debate coaches that are themselves the lab leaders of said debate camps; and that's mostly because of the funding they have for debate 

• Upvote 2

Apart from evidence cutting, there's usually lectures on the new topic or other debate args, practice rounds, a camp tournament, some form of interaction with experienced lab leaders, crunk parties, and other stuff that's supposed to make you better depending on the camp. It's definitely not required to get better because someone who's dedicated can work their way up to that level but with that said camp alumni will probably have an advantage over others at the beginning of the season and most if not all of the fancy schmanshy national circuit debaters go to camps. If you have time and money, it's can be a very rewarding experience but it's not the end of your debate career if you don't go.

• Upvote 2

Preface: This is how it is where I debate, please take into account that your school might have a better coach than I have.

Unless you have highly experienced coaches or staff at your school you will most likely not stand a chance against someone who went to a good camp. Its rather unfortunate but camps, especially the expensive ones, put you miles ahead of anyone who has not attended one.

• Upvote 1

ON the question of this - asking for some lane kid's - cheap good camps  what are some ?

edited - nothing hopefully more than 2000 - 

Edited by JaredCroitoru

ON the question of this - asking for some lane kid's - cheap good camps  what are some ?

I went to JDI last year, it was decent in terms of allowing me to grasp debate as most of the lab leaders taught me how to debate policy, then I taught myself how to debate critical. It set a decent foundation for my success.

it is not necessary, but beneficial. It gives you a leg up on policy debate so that next season you have an advantage because while everyone was at there homes playing video games or something you were beating your butt to get better. Thus, enabling yourself to become a better and much more successful policy debater. Here's an example: Person goes to camp and has been introduced to the new resolution along with about two K's a DA two CP's and three Affs. While a person who didn't go to camp comes back to the season and had either to work there ass of to get as far as you did, or did about nothing. (No offense to those who don't go to camp but...). So by going to camp you get a leg up and some respect on the team because everyone knows that you know much more about an argument then they do yet.

Another reason is because you get to know people. What I mean by this is a lot of people in your district go to camp and I would recommend going to a camp near you. For example: I know there is a camp not to far from home that a lot of people in my district go to. By going to that camp you are putting yourself out there and making connections. This is great because once the season starts you will know a whole lot of the people in your division from camp. Another benefit from this is a lot of people may run cases or Neg strats that were introduced to them at camps. Since camps offer practice debates you will get to know strategies of those other teams. I'm not saying to be super intrusive and make a list of what everyone runs and force them to tell you, but by having a broad understanding of what people may run will help you when making Case Negs during the season

Again, camp allows you to fundamentally get the upper hand and practice you need to get to the next level. If you start of as a Novice during the school year and go to camp. You usually go back to the season as a Varsity Debater. This is mainly because the labs, lectures, practice debates, DEMO debates, spreading drills, tips and tricks, etc. gives you the practice that you need to get to that next level.

Edit: Grammar errors.

Edited by Juan
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Debate camp doesn't make the debater. While it does help in terms of argumentation/research ability, they focus less on lay debate. So if you are from a lay circuit, it may not be that helpful.

In terms of actual debating, you get a jump-start on the topic, improved research skills, and you get familiar with people in your circuit. Most camps are composed of practice rounds, research, lectures, and a tournament. In other words, similar to a regular debate coach/team, except more people, more knowledge, and different ideas for argumentation.

Most national circuit schools have debate coaches that are themselves the lab leaders of said debate camps; and that's mostly because of the funding they have for debate 

Is there a Debate Camp K?

Like, u went to debate camp, that's harming the lower socio-economically... CLASS WARFARE!!!!!!!!!!!!! NUCLEAR WAR!!!!!!!!! EXTINCTION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NOTE: I DO NOT THINK THIS K IS GOOD OR BAD, SO DONT DOWNVOTE ME, I AM JUST CURIOUS...

• Downvote 3