ahen

IRS surveillance aff

Recently I hit an IRS case and they only gave us a paper copy which they took back after the round was over, I flowed it but I was wondering if there is a brief or file online that has the case so I could take a closer look for my team's frontline against it.

Edited by ahen
  • Upvote 1

Hey I wrote an IRS aff case a while back. I'm not from a very good league so I didn't spend too much time on it. If you're from a league that votes on T, you could probably find ev that says the IRS doesn't actually conduct any surveillance but that it only uses shared surveillance that other agencies collect. Circumvention would also be a good argument.

• Upvote 1

If you give us the outline of their arguments we can help you with ideas or perhaps help locate it on the wiki based on the case specifics

Addison is from my team, but I will help on specifics of the case. 

The plan has two advantages, it is freedom of speech and also tax evasion. The plan was to stop the IRS from determining what is and what is not political speech in terms of groups who apply for tax exemption status (because you can't give political groups tax breaks, but they are supposedly not political groups, just groups that have political beliefs??) and can only wait to give or deny a group tax exemption status for 60 days. The whole case portrays the IRS as a power hungry agency that specifically targets conservative groups. The freedom of speech advantage is a little sticky and was not completely explained, it was predicated off of the fact that the republican groups would stop operating and be less willing to voice their political opinions??? The tax evasion advantage was essentially a trade off scenario that the extra time trying to question these conservative groups directly trades off with stopping tax evasion. 

We'd still like feedback, but what I currently have is that there has been NO proof that any group has been denied tax exempt status. 

If you limit the time to 60 days, then the IRS is going to miss out on a lot of critical evaluation. One of two things will happen as a result of the time limit that will be imposed upon these groups, either 1) everybody will get tax exempt status- even those that don’t deserve it or 2) nobody gets tax exempt status because there isn’t enough time to truly critically evaluate whether or not the group deserves the tax exemption. The unlimited amount of time is a benefit for everybody because it allows the IRS to critically evaluate every possibly reason why they should or should not get their tax exempt status. These lawsuits are groups just complaining that it took too long for them to get their tax-exempt status, however, none were actually denied their tax-exempt status. 

Also there is no proof of time trade off. 1) Tax exempt and gov entities division deals with TAX EXEMPTION 2) Criminal investigation unit deals with TAX EVASION. The departments don't share resources. 

Besides that, i do not have much else. Thanks!

• Upvote 2

I guess Rights Malthus, T-it's , t-domestic survaillance is info gathering ,neolibrealism kritik , 

case would be tax evasion inevitable 

and freedom of speech bad is -rights malthus 

• Upvote 2