Juan

Moving it up a notch... (From Novice to JV).

Hello, I was just wondering if someone could give me some information on how the move from Novice to JV is like. I think I get the basics but if someone could give me a top five list of big changes or something that would be great. I have spectated Varsity rounds but that is really it on terms of spectating.

Other than that I am a Novice debater who just finished the season and is moving up to JV. One of the best teams in or school and is usually the ones who et the travelling tournaments. Is there tips because I feel as if I may be slowing down my partner. When we started as rookies my partner said I was a faster/better speaker and I would be good for the 1AR so I did as so. They also love the 2N so I was chill with it. But now that I realise that the 2 is usually the captain of the team and gets higher speaks I am starting to feel a bit bad. Am I actually being legit right now or is this all a folkes tale? Also should I ask to be the 2 for one of the sides, if so which one would be best in my position at the moment. 

Also, do you recommend camp because I have heard about it but I only know about 1 person you actually does it that I know. What is the advantage of going to camp and is it actually worth it? How many weeks are recommended and just back on the note of transfer from Novice to JV. If I go to camp some people say that you get to skip JV. (Is it true and why). Thanks!

Sorry about that and If you could answer each paragraph (2 and 3) as a question that would be great.

• Upvote 1

For changes:

-depending on your region you may find yourself drowning in an ocean of Ks which never existed before- on AFF and NEG.

-you'll have to become a better debater technically- you must learn line by line- this is the best and I believe only way to debate.

-this is a time where you'll prolly be discovering arguments you will love- listen to what the other teams say. Don't always obsess about if you're winning or losing. Find arguments you like, address everything on the flow, and you'll be on your way to evolving your skills.

As for feeling bad- don't. Have discourse about it with your partner. I'm not an expert tho cause I've never had that problem.

If you can afford camp, I would go. It's not neccessary but it helps to focus on just debate for a few weeks.

Hope this helped some

• Upvote 1

See this really depends on your region. In Kansas the divisions are Novice, JV, Open, and Varsity. You really only start seeing Ks constantly in Varsity, and sometimes in Open. This is most likely because most of the judges in KS are lay.

It all depends on your region.

I'm a Novice, and I'm kinda in the same situation. I was given a chance to participate at a tournament as Junior-Varsity because of our performance at previous tournaments, but it was pretty tough. We faced with evidence we've never seen before, far more experienced competitors and an inability to do well against them. In my opinion, the greatest challenge from Novice to Junior-Varsity is letting go of the limits. You aren't restricted to some packets your coaches give you for Novice. You can literally run anything, and as NativeWarlock said, there will be a lot of K.

• Upvote 1

As people said above, most of this depends on your region. In CA, where I debate, there isn't a huge distinction between novice and JV (they typically collapse into a single division because of a lack of JV teams), so I went from competing in novice to competing in varsity, with about 2 JV tournaments to ease the transition. That being said, if you feel that the divide between novice and varsity is too wide to cross right away, competing in JV for a while would definitely be a solid option.

If you really feel like you are dragging your partner down, you should talk to them and your coach about it. If you conclude that you should take a 2nd position, you and your partner should experiment with who does what for a tournament and see how each spot fits you.

On the topic of camp: I would definitely recommend going if it is financially reasonable for you. Camp was a super fun and super educational experience for me, and was so helpful in transitioning from novice/JV to varsity. If you don't want to spend a whole lot of time or money on camp, there are plenty of good 2 and 3 week programs that exist that could still greatly benefit you. Some of my friends in the same situation attended the GDI 2 week Varsity camp after competing for a year in novice, and it helped them a ton. I hope this helps you and good luck!

I'm a Novice, and I'm kinda in the same situation. I was given a chance to participate at a tournament as Junior-Varsity because of our performance at previous tournaments, but it was pretty tough. We faced with evidence we've never seen before, far more experienced competitors and an inability to do well against them. In my opinion, the greatest challenge from Novice to Junior-Varsity is letting go of the limits. You aren't restricted to some packets your coaches give you for Novice. You can literally run anything, and as NativeWarlock said, there will be a lot of K.

What do you think you had to make blocks for because I need to make some.... Also what do you mean Luhan by, "you aren't restricted to some packets..."? Why were you restricted to packets and is this a new rule for Novice or just in some states?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Also, how do you start a debate round on this site?!? I believe on the homepage you click 'online debates/v debate', then you click, 'start new topics', but what do you do after that and how do you get an opponent? Sorry for asking something so basic but I just don't understand...

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Can someone explain line by line? Also is it true that if you are the 2(A or N) you usually get more speaker points?

Idk about the last part- it may be common but the 2s generally know their case better, maybe that's why.

Line by line:

Is a type of db8 in which you answer arguments in the order they're made, down the flow- a few speeches have an exception:

1ac is prewritten

1nc's off case positions aren't line by line. However, the case arguments you make set the order of the lbl. A good 2ac should answer your case arguments in the order you gave them.

The 2ac reads fromtlines to the off case positions- this sets the order of the LBL for the neg block to answer.

From that point on the Lbl is set- still read overviews. Lbl is the best way to ensure you dont cede arguments

• Upvote 1

Idk about the last part- it may be common but the 2s generally know their case better, maybe that's why.

Line by line:

Is a type of db8 in which you answer arguments in the order they're made, down the flow- a few speeches have an exception:

1ac is prewritten

1nc's off case positions aren't line by line. However, the case arguments you make set the order of the lbl. A good 2ac should answer your case arguments in the order you gave them.

The 2ac reads fromtlines to the off case positions- this sets the order of the LBL for the neg block to answer.

From that point on the Lbl is set- still read overviews. Lbl is the best way to ensure you dont cede arguments

I believe that soooo much. I had a partner who tended to forget to address things quite a bit (LIKE A LOT). So I think I'll have to get the jist of this. I also believe that it will help me but is it done in the neg block or what?

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Also, how do you start a debate round on this site?!? I believe on the homepage you click 'online debates/v debate', then you click, 'start new topics', but what do you do after that and how do you get an opponent? Sorry for asking something so basic but I just don't understand...

Well before you start a topic, you need an opponent. Don't start one without an opponent.

About the 2nd speaker getting better speaks, sometimes. Normally the better debater is the 2, so they should be getting better speaks anyways.

What do you think you had to make blocks for because I need to make some.... Also what do you mean Luhan by, "you aren't restricted to some packets..."? Why were you restricted to packets and is this a new rule for Novice or just in some states?

What they are saying is that as a novice, you normally don't cut your own evidence. Normally only reading what your coaches cut/give to you. Lol it's not a rule.

Well before you start a topic, you need an opponent. Don't start one without an opponent.

About the 2nd speaker getting better speaks, sometimes. Normally the better debater is the 2, so they should be getting better speaks anyways.

How do you get an opponent btw?

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

How do you get an opponent btw?

I believe the best way to prepare for Junior-Varsity would to run Neg. In Junior-Varsity, you will be met with new cases and arguments you've never heard of before, so it would be a good idea to expose yourself to new cases and get in the habit of easily adapting to them. Also, it would be good practice for K, which you'll have to run eventually in the higher divisions.

• Upvote 1

I'll be one if you want. Normally you'd go to the first thread and comment wanting one. I'll be neg if u just wanna start one vs me

Ok, that sounds great. I'll be Aff and I am running an immigration Aff. Can you create the debate?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I believe that soooo much. I had a partner who tended to forget to address things quite a bit (LIKE A LOT). So I think I'll have to get the jist of this. I also believe that it will help me but is it done in the neg block or what?

Yes stick to the LBL in the 2nc- the 2ac has it easy, this is why the neg has to know their stuff. Split the block good to divide the stress.

Answer the 2ac's frontlines the best you can IN THE ORDER THEY GIVE IT

Can someone explain line by line? Also is it true that if you are the 2(A or N) you usually get more speaker points?

I think the bias towards second positions on speaker points is far more prevalent in novice than open, its not that being the 2 just gets you speaker points, but more so that the best arguments usually tend to come out during the second speakers speeches and that they are usually giving the hardest speaches. Once you get into Open it becomes a lot less prevalent.

I think the bias towards second positions on speaker points is far more prevalent in novice than open, its not that being the 2 just gets you speaker points, but more so that the best arguments usually tend to come out during the second speakers speeches and that they are usually giving the hardest speaches. Once you get into Open it becomes a lot less prevalent.

Sorry, we don't have open. But we do have Junior Varsity and Varsity. Is Open like JV?

My circuit is too small to have three divisions, we have Open (varsity) and novice, anyone who has debated for over a year or is any good has to debate in open, half way through the year novice is eliminated and all novices move to JV while the not so good open debaters move down to JV. At the start of a new season it starts all over again.