kylerbuckner

Answering Bataille Poetry

I'm looking for answers to Bataille and poetry (Nick Land's work on this) or general strats and arguments to cut against this aff, specifically Walter Payton BC's. If anyone has ideas or strategies other than framework and marx I'm open for just about anything. Thanks.

I don't know specifics about the arg, but your 1NC could be Bataille answers (Physical existence comes first, they don't really advocate to do anything, etc.), Poetry bad or read your own poetry, Cap, and FW. Most likely, you'll end up going for framework against this aff.

I don't know specifics about the arg, but your 1NC could be Bataille answers (Physical existence comes first, they don't really advocate to do anything, etc.), Poetry bad or read your own poetry, Cap, and FW. Most likely, you'll end up going for framework against this aff.

the aff is literally made to impact turn framework + I don't like framework, sure it's a good arg but I don't read a plan text so I feel argumentatively irresponsible if I encourage and discourage a particular debate norm, plus the aff is a cap aff. 

I do need some poetry bad stuff, so if you have any hmu. 

Edited by DonaldTrump

I don't think it's good to homogenize all poetry as "good" or "bad." I don't know who Nick Land is, but it would be much more strategic to cut specific links to his work instead of generalizing all poetry. Reading cap links on case seems like a good idea, because there are certainly anti-capitalist critiques of Bataille that would turn the AFF. Other than that, I'm sure you could probably link it to an identity K, and framework is a really good idea against the AFF even though you don't like it. 

Having had to deal with this aff many times, I have to say that any affirmation of modernity or identity politics very effectively answers this affirmative. Because of its defense of becoming, links can be garnered off fluidity. 

I wouldn't worry too much about this team though, they've been remarkably underwhelming so far.

• Upvote 4

I will have you know that as an extensive researcher of Bataille and Land, this affirmative has been strategically constructed to defeat the greatest of debaters. I can imagine its creators hunched over their computers, putting substantial time and effort into the research of its cards and the extensive blocks that I'm sure it has to every argument you could conceivably run against it. If you hit this aff, you may as well forfeit before the round starts -- you have already lost.

"When my face is flushed with blood, it becomes red and obscene. It betrays at the same time, through morbid reflexes, a bloody erection and a demanding thirst for indecency and criminal debauchery." ~ Georges Bataille

• Upvote 4

Laugh and laugh 

at the sun

at the nettles 

at the stones

at the ducks 

at the rain

at the pee pee of the pope 

at mummy 

at a coffin full of shit

Just laugh at the aff, and then read sections from the story of the eye. After all, transgression requires bravery

• Upvote 2

Laugh and laugh 

at the sun

at the nettles 

at the stones

at the ducks 

at the rain

at the pee pee of the pope 

at mummy 

at a coffin full of shit

Just laugh at the aff, and then read sections from the story of the eye. After all, transgression requires bravery

Okay, um well, I wouldn't do that. You can read poetry, but I wouldn't make it silly/pointless/random or offensive to the aff. Bataille is more than bravery and the judge most likely will not give you good speaks and maybe (probably not) vote you down.

Also, it's my 100th post!!  :D  :D  :D

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Or you could actually make arguments...

(And yes, I've read the story of the eye. Wasn't particularly impressed. While running Bataille is rarely relevant in the first place, there are definitely better places to go to make such arguments)

You can critique Bataille too.

Check out Derrida's piece "From Restricted to General Economy." I think this piece could be read much more violently than it leads on. Especially in the end. I disagree with it's reading of Bataille, but it's probably one of the better positions to take in opposition

• Upvote 1