CouldaBeenaContenda

Alfred "Tuna" Snider, debate coach, legend

passed away a couple of days ago.  He basically "made" international debate.  He was in the first college debate round I ever saw, back in 1970, and he was quite a showman.  He made semis at NDT the next year and went on to coach for the next four decades.  A tribute thread over at the CEDA forum has about 180 entries.  http://www.cedadebate.org/forum/index.php/topic,6717.0.html

Edited by CouldaBeenaContenda
  • Upvote 4

I never actually met him, but back in 1972, he and I were at a small banquet that was being held for the guest judges at Dartmouth's high school invitational, and Tuna was in his "showman mode", where he was telling stories aloud, to no one in particular, and as more and more people tuned into him, he'd start projecting a little more, so as to reach more people, and he'd say the silliest things, like, "A girl tapped me on the shoulder and said: 'Oh Tuna...Tuna?' and then turns as though looking at her and says, 'Yes?,' and then turns back to assume her character and says, 'Just checking!' "  You read that and think, "Where's the joke?", but it was all in the delivery and the showmanship, which he had in abundance.  He could keep people in stitches just by being his gregarious self.

Edited by CouldaBeenaContenda
  • Upvote 1