I went to JDI 2 week last year. I was not so happy with my placement because I got put in the novice lab, and split up from my partner. However, the lab leaders are really good, especially if you like disads, and topicality. (not my kind of debate, but I didn't realize I wanted to be critical until after camp) If you plan on being a critical debater I would recommend Digital Debate Camp because it has infamous K leaders like Steven Murray. 

Given that I know somewhat about the Kansas circuit I would probably say that critical debate won't help you too much because you get a lot of parent judges, so I'd say JDI is a good choice for you. 

• Upvote 1

I went to JDI 2 week last year. I was not so happy with my placement because I got put in the novice lab, and split up from my partner. However, the lab leaders are really good, especially if you like disads, and topicality. (not my kind of debate, but I didn't realize I wanted to be critical until after camp) If you plan on being a critical debater I would recommend Digital Debate Camp because it has infamous K leaders like Steven Murray. 

Given that I know somewhat about the Kansas circuit I would probably say that critical debate won't help you too much because you get a lot of parent judges, so I'd say JDI is a good choice for you. 

Good to know. But are they both equally good, or is JDI better? I feel like DDC will give me more debate b/c all summer long, but I don't know if it will be high quality. Also DDC practice rounds sound weird.

Good to know. But are they both equally good, or is JDI better? I feel like DDC will give me more debate b/c all summer long, but I don't know if it will be high quality. Also DDC practice rounds sound weird.

Hands-on practice is way better in my opinion. Remember, debate camp isn't just about getting better, although that is an incredibly good time, but also about forming friendships with like minded-individuals. (As you know, most people don't speak the language of the cult that is policy debate). 

Hi, I went to JDI 3wk last year and from my experience, having 3 weeks to focus on nothing but debate helps a ton. Also, yeah you should learn to spread. It is necessary in high level rounds in kansas and practically everywhere else. Learning to do it, even if you dont, will help you keep up with it. If you want info on why like, physically attending camp is good you should talk to gen and paige or sophia or someone. They will probably tell you that that time is really important.

side note: you can win k's in front of parent judges. My partner and I only read the K and haven't lost a lay round this year.

Edited by ThomasDB8

Hi there!  I run the DDC and have for about 5 years now.  While I think our camp is excellent at mimicking the camp experience, if you have to choose between our camp and another I have two bits of advice for you.  First, the Digital Debate Camp is incredibly cheap so it's likely you could afford both.  Second, there are many intangible benefits to an in-person camp like making friends, getting away from your parents (an especially liberating moment if you have never done so), and developing social skills.  If you have never had a camp experience (debate or otherwise), it's hard to explain those benefits.  Thus, if you get away from home often I'd suggest the DDC, but if you rarely get a chance to sequester yourself away with peers, it's hard to argue against an in-person camp experience.

Hi, I went to JDI 3wk last year and from my experience, having 3 weeks to focus on nothing but debate helps a ton. Also, yeah you should learn to spread. It is necessary in high level rounds in kansas and practically everywhere else. Learning to do it, even if you dont, will help you keep up with it. If you want info on why like, physically attending camp is good you should talk to gen and paige or sophia or someone. They will probably tell you that that time is really important.

side note: you can win k's in front of parent judges. My partner and I only read the K and haven't lost a lay round this year.

I was told be Gen that reading K against a lay is a dumb strategy, but thanks for the info

Edited by ixela2

I was told be Gen that reading K against a lay is a dumb strategy, but thanks for the info

Don't explain it in jargon.  Reduce it to plain language and explain concepts.  Most parents believe that moral beliefs should guide decision-making - they aren't hardcore policymakers.  The problem isn't the K, it's the way debaters talk about the K.

Don't explain it in jargon.  Reduce it to plain language and explain concepts.  Most parents believe that moral beliefs should guide decision-making - they aren't hardcore policymakers.  The problem isn't the K, it's the way debaters talk about the K.

This is probably subject to your geographical location. As I come from a Republican/Far right conservative town, I can say that there isn't a single lay person that I know would even evaluate something like orthodox marxism. 

This is probably subject to your geographical location. As I come from a Republican/Far right conservative town, I can say that there isn't a single lay person that I know would even evaluate something like orthodox marxism. 

Well, sure.  You have to find shared values to get a lay judge to vote on a K.  They aren't tabula rasa.  My point was their default method of evaluation is not body count.  They aren't Utilitarians.  There are definitely ethical arguments you can make which they will vote for.

(If it's true they share no values with orthodox marxism, good for them :D. My experience with lay areas, admittedly LD, is that you can package marxism in an appealing way and get lay judges to vote on it.  And this makes me very sad.)