EyeOfSauron

Creative DAs

Hey guys, first post. 

I'm a novice that did well this season, and I normally debate up. Now I'm going back to just a novice tournament. I have written 2 da's that I doubt any of the novices I will be debating have seen. Is this a good idea? Or should I just stick with regular DAs(Terror, Pres power)?

Unique DA's with strong link stories are always better than generic DA's. However, unique DA that no one has heard of =/= a guaranteed win. The best DA's are case specific.

It comes down to what you think you can give the best 2nr on. If you feel like you are a wiz-kid at prez power then do it.

It's not a matte of if they have answers, it's a matter of how good the DA is. If you've got some contrived scenario with a sketchy impact then you're still risking a loss just from the case out weighing plus impact defense.

The other thing to watch out for is unpredictable answers. You generally know what's coming with your regular DA's which means you can prep out your answers, but breaking new can end in very bizzare places, especially in novice.

It's not a matte of if they have answers, it's a matter of how good the DA is. If you've got some contrived scenario with a sketchy impact then you're still risking a loss just from the case out weighing plus impact defense.

The other thing to watch out for is unpredictable answers. You generally know what's coming with your regular DA's which means you can prep out your answers, but breaking new can end in very bizzare places, especially in novice.

I agree with this. A key question for you is whether you can tell the story of the DA in clear enough language that an average person can understand and will think "yeah, this makes sense." Having a uniqueness, link, and impact are the basic requirements, but if there are big logical gaps or you're using untrustworthy cards, you won't be helping yourself by running it. But if you have a compelling story, then the unique DA is almost certainly better than the common generic.

If you're looking for ideas, try reviewing past topics. There are generics other than prez powers - try federalism. Also, a K that isn't too philosophical can make a since disad. Make a legalism K into a circumvention and militarism disad to weigh against the case, if you please (though be wary of uniqueness on linear K impacts). The arguments you make yourself, research yourself, and understand well are some of the best for you to run, but make sure your line of thought is "What are the consequences of this plan?" instead of "How can I link my rights malthus DA here?" Like others have said, specificity is key to winning a Negative debate.

If you're looking for ideas, try reviewing past topics. There are generics other than prez powers - try federalism. Also, a K that isn't too philosophical can make a since disad. Make a legalism K into a circumvention and militarism disad to weigh against the case, if you please (though be wary of uniqueness on linear K impacts). The arguments you make yourself, research yourself, and understand well are some of the best for you to run, but make sure your line of thought is "What are the consequences of this plan?" instead of "How can I link my rights malthus DA here?" Like others have said, specificity is key to winning a Negative debate.

Both my DAs I wrote are pretty generic, but probably haven't been seen in lower level rounds. Do you think that if I analyzed sufficiently, and was able to tell a story with my creative, but generic da, I could run it? Regardless of how generic it is?

Both my DAs I wrote are pretty generic, but probably haven't been seen in lower level rounds. Do you think that if I analyzed sufficiently, and was able to tell a story with my creative, but generic da, I could run it? Regardless of how generic it is?

can you post the disads so people can tell you how good or bad they are?

If you don't want to post it in public, you can PM the specifics to me and I'll offer advice.

Don't run things because you think your opponent won't be prepared. If I were judging a round and the Neg ran the "Over-clownfidence is a slow and hilarious killer DA" and the Aff had no evidence but made smart analytical arguments, I would still likely vote Aff. If I were you, I would save your disads for a round where they link well and would be effective and run them then.

Don't run things because you think your opponent won't be prepared. If I were judging a round and the Neg ran the "Over-clownfidence is a slow and hilarious killer DA" and the Aff had no evidence but made smart analytical arguments, I would still likely vote Aff. If I were you, I would save your disads for a round where they link well and would be effective and run them then.

Though, if it links well and you're opponent won't be prepared than it's substantially better than a generic that links well. 

"Is it more strategic for my opponents to have cards against my argument, or for my opponents to not have cards against my argument". 

Though, if it links well and you're opponent won't be prepared than it's substantially better than a generic that links well. 

"Is it more strategic for my opponents to have cards against my argument, or for my opponents to not have cards against my argument". 

Fair, but usually you should pick the best-linking DA and run it and hope for the best.