Assuming the Affirmative plan is "The United States federal government should pass the End Racial Profiling Act," there are a number of ways you could go.

T: I bet there's a lot in that act that isn't surveillance. Also, the act mandates no more profiling for state/local law enforcement. T Its would be nice because you can also leverage it as a solvency deficit or a counterplan.

K: Look into some race Ks - I would go for a thesis of "Legal restrictions on racism fail - it's too deeply entrenched - all the Aff does is make us "not racist" *wink, wink* while exacerbating 'racism from a distance'"

CP: Like I said, you could do state/local as a CP. Also, there's probably reform counterplans like maybe taking race out of the census that are more guaranteed to solve racism. Maybe a court cp - argue it's better for social spillover and solvency - with a DA like politics as a net benefit.

DA: Politics, maybe circumvention/legalism. When I argue against Affs like Islamaphobia/racism, I never want to say that kind of surveillance is good. I only want to say that the Aff won't fix anything.

Case: Go heavy on racism inevitable, legal reforms make it worse, it's too deeply entrenched, no link, stuff like that.

The UN UPR CP is on OpenEvidence if you wanna run this - decent solvency card. Stretches outside of just the ERPA, means more solvency than the Aff and you can go grab UN legitimacy as a net benefit if you care to.

ERPA CP.docx

• Upvote 1

The UN UPR CP is on OpenEvidence if you wanna run this - decent solvency card. Stretches outside of just the ERPA, means more solvency than the Aff and you can go grab UN legitimacy as a net benefit if you care to.

Why doesn't the perm work?

Why doesn't the perm work?

It's basically a consult CP so if we ask them about it but do it anyway it looks like we don't care about their opinion which ruins the net benefit (UN cred I think) and is net worse.

Okay ERPA used to be my AFF case but now I changed to NSL's. But the best thing to know about ERPA is that it has a loophole, the loop hole is that no state, local and or federal agency is required to comply. So, ERPA does not guarantee any change at all. But the only way ERPA convinces agencies to comply is by the threat and fear of losing funding from the federal government. So, basically ERPA doesn't directly curtail domestic surveillance because no agency is required to actually abide by ERPA, so the AFF doesn't technically curtail surveillance and also ERPAA focuses mainly on enforcement not surveillance. I hope this was helpful and let me know if you have any questions about the case.

Edited by TylerRuzich