DickRida

Functional competition on the Kritik?

Can it exist? Why doesn't competition in the understanding we use to talk about counterplans not carry over to kritiks?

Textual competition could apply to the alt -- wherein PIKs have the least textual competition.

And functional competition could apply to the alt solvency -- what the kritik does differently from the case. This could be especially useful in K vs. K debates.

If perms are "tests of competition" than I don't see why perms on the kritik can't also be tests of competition.

Or maybe this literally is a thing and I've just never heard of it.   :confused:

Can it exist? Why doesn't competition in the understanding we use to talk about counterplans not carry over to kritiks?

Textual competition could apply to the alt -- wherein PIKs have the least textual competition.

And functional competition could apply to the alt solvency -- what the kritik does differently from the case. This could be especially useful in K vs. K debates.

If perms are "tests of competition" than I don't see why perms on the kritik can't also be tests of competition.

Or maybe this literally is a thing and I've just never heard of it.   :confused:

Yeah, it's a thing, although less so because competition between the alt and the aff is rarely functionally competitive. As it is, most K alts work sort of like advantage CP's: there's rarely a reason you couldn't both 'embrace the real' or whatever the hell have you and reduce surveillance. That's why people focus on winning links, because those (can) take out the perm.

Where people screw up is that they don't realize that the links must apply to the aff and the alt *together* and not just the aff. The inclusion of the alternative in the permutation almost always acts to shield the net benefit, which is why K's that are like 'you weren't left enough' should be losing every round because having both the alt and the aff resolves whatever impact there was of the aff not being hyperbolic enough. For example, if you're reading some 'state bad' K, there's no reason that getting rid of surveillance means that the alt fails (and in all likelihood only helps alt solvency) so the perm captures all of the external offense on the K, justifying an aff ballot. The problem with all these masking links is that they have to win the passage of the plan makes alt solvency impossible, because anything else means the aff outweighs.

Thanks for enlightening me. :)

But I still have a few questions, namely:

1) What is a "masking link"? I've never heard this term used before.

2) So is the functional competition of the alt determined solely by the link cards the neg reads? Just like how in a CP competition is the link to the NB?

3) Could I write a PIK with an alt saying "do the plan without the USFG" and claim textual competition off of it? 

Thanks for enlightening me. :)

But I still have a few questions, namely:

1) What is a "masking link"? I've never heard this term used before.

Basically it's the idea that doing the plan makes it harder to achieve more revolutionary changes; because someone got a small concession, there's less momentum. It's not very responsive. A good example is the generic link to the Foucault K from 7 week. 

2) So is the functional competition of the alt determined solely by the link cards the neg reads? Just like how in a CP competition is the link to the NB?

No. You're on the right track, but functional competition is defined by the alt, not the link. Most alts aren't mutually exclusive, which is why the link/impact debate becomes relevant, because it's competing off of net benefits. But that's an issue of the alt vs the plan, not a link debate. Competition (usually) works in the same way it does for advantage CP's: the alt (CP) and the plan could be done together, but if they win that the plan/perm link to the DA then you don't get the perm. 

3) Could I write a PIK with an alt saying "do the plan without the USFG" and claim textual competition off of it? 

Ehhhhh. Depends on how you word the PIK. That specific one might be textually competitive, but if you word it poorly it can be plan + in a textual sense (see post number 9: https://www.cross-x.com/topic/37808-textual-vs-functional/?p=642648Generally you should shoot for both textual and functional competition to avoid theory issues.

Furthermore, PIK's out of the state are generally silly. The net benefit is almost always terrible, and it has about...0 solvency. How exactly is a non-governmental actor supposed to make the NSA their surveillance? Not really gonna happen. You should aim higher, and find something more specific than 'the state is bad.'

Edited by SnarkosaurusRex