SagarB123

Necropolitics and Queer Suicide Bomber

Can someone please explain the K and how to run it? I have a bunch of the evidence and a general understanding of the cards, but how do I exactly run the K? Is there a performance? Any help is much appreciated!

Necropolitics is what Mbembe describes as the exertion of Sovereign power in the state of exception; specifically, how sovereign power is capable of deciding when and how a subject dies (or rather an object, as subjects under sovereign rule have no juridical power). In terms of necropolitics, however, it's not just about the exertion of sovereign power on a single subject but rather entire populations; Mbembe likes to trace this to modern forms of warfare where death is a lived experience (I say "likes" because a better example, one he completely ignores and even trades off for with the Nazi concentration camp, is the colony in the colonial era) for not only the soldieries but the citizens; so like total war, except that in the status quo, Mbembe argues, total war politics need not necessitate an actual war to be taking place. 

Look into Wilderon's description of black life in an anti-black world; what Agamben/Mbembe describes as the "living-dead," Wilderson describes as the ontological condition of blackness. 

Edited by Theparanoiacmachine
  • Downvote 1

Necropolitics is what Agamben describes as the exertion of Sovereign power in the state of exception; specifically, how sovereign power is capable of deciding when and how a subject dies (or rather an object, as subjects under sovereign rule have no juridical power). In terms of necropolitics, however, it's not just about the exertion of sovereign power on a single subject but rather entire populations; Agamben likes to trace this to modern forms of warfare where death is a lived experience (I say "likes" because a better example, one he completely ignores and even trades off for with the Nazi concentration camp, is the colony in the colonial era) for not only the soldieries but the citizens; so like total war, except that in the status quo, Agamben argues, total war politics need not necessitate an actual war to be taking place. 

Look into Wilderon's description of black life in an anti-black world; what Agamben describes as the "living-dead," Wilderson describes as the ontological condition of blackness.

So where does the suicide bomber part come in?

Necropolitics is what Agamben describes as the exertion of Sovereign power in the state of exception; specifically, how sovereign power is capable of deciding when and how a subject dies (or rather an object, as subjects under sovereign rule have no juridical power). In terms of necropolitics, however, it's not just about the exertion of sovereign power on a single subject but rather entire populations; Agamben likes to trace this to modern forms of warfare where death is a lived experience (I say "likes" because a better example, one he completely ignores and even trades off for with the Nazi concentration camp, is the colony in the colonial era) for not only the soldieries but the citizens; so like total war, except that in the status quo, Agamben argues, total war politics need not necessitate an actual war to be taking place. 

Look into Wilderon's description of black life in an anti-black world; what Agamben describes as the "living-dead," Wilderson describes as the ontological condition of blackness. 

I'm pretty sure Achilles Mbembe theorized necropolitics, not Agamben. 

This also is not necessarily on par with how most K teams are extrapolating this, or even what their evidence speaks to. What most teams, and presumably OP are referring to when they say necropolitics, or when you see it on their wiki, it is really just a nuanced criticism of liberalism and the way power operates under the facade of liberal democracy. The link is usually something like law making is lawfare which is the foundation of liberalism/imperialism wherein states like the US give the option for countries to assimilate or die which leads to an endless war to erase difference from all political settings which codifies every body into the "acceptable liberal subject aka rich, white, hetero male. The alternative is queer suicide bombing which, as I am a novice when it comes to Puar, don't know much about. I believe it is something about embracing infinite forms of becoming and deconstructing static subjecthood (i.e. the ideal liberal subject) in favor of recognizing the multiplicities that make up identity. Note that I'm probably butchering this, so anyone with higher knowledge on the matter should definitely correct me. 

In response to OP, if you thought there was a performance that goes along with the alternative it likely means that you have no business reading it. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

This also is not necessarily on par with how most K teams are extrapolating this, or even what their evidence speaks to. What most teams, and presumably OP are referring to when they say necropolitics, or when you see it on their wiki, it is really just a nuanced criticism of liberalism and the way power operates under the facade of liberal democracy. The link is usually something like law making is lawfare which is the foundation of liberalism/imperialism wherein states like the US give the option for countries to assimilate or die which leads to an endless war to erase difference from all political settings which codifies every body into the "acceptable liberal subject aka rich, white, hetero male. The alternative is queer suicide bombing which, as I am a novice when it comes to Puar, don't know much about. I believe it is something about embracing infinite forms of becoming and deconstructing static subjecthood (i.e. the ideal liberal subject) in favor of recognizing the multiplicities that make up identity. Note that I'm probably butchering this, so anyone with higher knowledge on the matter should definitely correct me. 

In response to OP, if you thought there was a performance that goes along with the alternative it likely means that you have no business reading it. 

idk why i wrote Agamben lel I guess I got Agamben and Achilles mixed up; but yes he is the one who created the concept; although I do believe his work on necropolitics is an extension on Agambens work on Sovereign Power. 

Well, my understanding of the article is what I explained above and mind you I read the entire article yesterday; what you're describing seems to be an average legalism K or even a K of U.S. imperialism; if anything it sounds closer to what Puar describes in her book as she critiques U.S. liberalism (or homonationalism). 

idk why i wrote Agamben lel I guess I got Agamben and Achilles mixed up; but yes he is the one who created the concept; although I do believe his work on necropolitics is an extension on Agambens work on Sovereign Power. 

Well, my understanding of the article is what I explained above and mind you I read the entire article yesterday; what you're describing seems to be an average legalism K or even a K of U.S. imperialism; if anything it sounds closer to what Puar describes in her book as she critiques U.S. liberalism (or homonationalism). 

I understand but I think what OP is referring to is what I described. I'm not saying that it what necropolitics is per se, but what teams are calling it on the national circuit right now. 

I meant to give you an upvote, but accidently downvoted you...sorry!

Thanks for the explanation!

I guess I have a very loose interpretation of "performance." I should've clarified. When I saw Little Rock Central WW run the K, they ran the K normally in the 1NC (just read the cards), but in the Neg Block, they "stole" the 1AC, similar to the Baudrillard Hostage Taking stuff. Is that how all teams run it or just LRC WW?

I meant to give you an upvote, but accidently downvoted you...sorry!

Thanks for the explanation!

I guess I have a very loose interpretation of "performance." I should've clarified. When I saw Little Rock Central WW run the K, they ran the K normally in the 1NC (just read the cards), but in the Neg Block, they "stole" the 1AC, similar to the Baudrillard Hostage Taking stuff. Is that how all teams run it or just LRC WW?

Ah, that makes sense. In the rounds I've debated/watched Dj and Payton I have never seen them do this. I'm not one hundred percent sure how the alternative 'steals the 1ac' but I guess it could be an embodiment of the alternative? Could be some Moten and Harney tricks? Who knows. Payton doesn't even use his computer. They could literally do whatever they want and still find a way to win. 

In all of the rounds that I've watched it run in, most people have not "performed" it but just read it as a standard criticism. I would say it is definitely winnable without performing it or stealing the 1AC.  

The act of stealing the 1ac is this idea of reapplying the knowledge production of the 1ac and produces in it the undercommons - look into moten and harney just to understand what they are talking about - here i think this like some type of played up and hyped up opacity arguement 

The act of stealing the 1ac is this idea of reapplying the knowledge production of the 1ac and produces in it the undercommons - look into moten and harney just to understand what they are talking about - here i think this like some type of played up and hyped up opacity arguement 

They didn't read any cards in the 2NC though. They didn't read Moten and Harney or Baudrillard. They just claimed that they stole the 1AC. That's what confused me about the alt.

Or it could just be Baudrillard 

They did this in the past when I hit them.

Of course, that was when they ACTUALLY read Fernando