queenofdisaster

How to do (more?) organized rebuttals?

I apologize if I've been posting a lot of threads! I'm still brooding over a tournament from the weekend, and several of my judges (and even my sibling oh my goodness) have been telling me that I need to organize my rebuttals. 

(in fact i think that's why i lost my last round-- even if i won in my heart lmao,, :'(( )

So how does one have more organized rebuttals? Does it come with practice and with better flows?

Thank you in advance!

I apologize if I've been posting a lot of threads! I'm still brooding over a tournament from the weekend, and several of my judges (and even my sibling oh my goodness) have been telling me that I need to organize my rebuttals. 

(in fact i think that's why i lost my last round-- even if i won in my heart lmao,, :'(( )

So how does one have more organized rebuttals? Does it come with practice and with better flows?

Thank you in advance!

Better flows, certainly; you can't do an organized rebuttal without a good flow. For more details, which rebuttals do you have? Each has a very different structure (well, the 2NR and 2AR are fairly similar, but the 1R and 2R are very different for each side).

Rebuttal redoes, rebuttal redoes, rebuttal redoes. They are life savers. Cleanliness comes with practice on the line by line as well as just overrall practice with your arguments. Card/Warrant dashing your evidence allows for better rebuttals, as you can read the warrants pretty easily and can explain them without wasting the time of completely typing out an extension and avoid shadow extending your argument. 

Better flows, certainly; you can't do an organized rebuttal without a good flow. For more details, which rebuttals do you have? Each has a very different structure (well, the 2NR and 2AR are fairly similar, but the 1R and 2R are very different for each side).

I tend to default to being the 1A/2N.

I tend to default to being the 1A/2N.

for 1A, try and extend the most important arguments that can win you the debate and answer the arguments that will most likely lose you the debate (e.g. if the other team reads theory, extend your counter-interp and "reject the argument not the team"). Also, it might help to group a lot of similar arguments and answer them together since, in the 1ar, it's pretty improbable to respond to every single thing they said in the neg block. It's also good to leverage a lot of 2ac/1ac evidence to respond to neg arguments instead of reading a bunch of new cards because then you'll have more time to refute everything.

Finally, like kyler said, just do a lot of rebuttal redoes while focusing on having clear line by line and you'll improve drastically.