DavisBeckman

Capitalism K help?

What specifically do you not understand?

Generally the aff somehow increases capitalism, and capitalism is a bad thing, i.e. it causes structural violence because whenever the bourgeoisie (the 1%; upper class) sees the proletariat (99%; working class) all they see is Benjamins in their pockets, meaning that they justify atrocious working conditions, poor wages, and extreme hours, all in the name of capital gain. The alternative varies, but most commonly it is Historical Materialism, which is not something I read so pardon if I butcher or extrapolate it incorrectly, but it is a genealogical review of history to analyze the depravities that come as a result of capitalism, i.e. rather than focusing on one's skin color to determine why they are oppressed, the alternative would say we should look at their social location, or their class, as they argue all power relations are necessarily built upon classism. 

• Upvote 1

I think the Donald is distorting things a little bit.

Plan doesn't have to 'increase capitalism' (whatever that means), it just has to use 'the logic of capitalism'.  I put that in quotes because what that means is somewhat contentious, and authors won't agree with each other.  But if the plan operates in a 'capitalist mindset', you can generally argue a link.

For some reason, most people skip a thesis card, which is a shame.  The link is discussed above.  Impacting out capitalism is obvious, I hope.  The alternative is what you should do to escape the 'capitalist mindset' or the 'logic of capitalism' or even the degree of capitalism in the economy.  (Not holding my breath on the last one, no one seems willing to defend Marxism today, not even the Marxists).

Note: the capitalism K is a lot stronger when (1) the link is specific to plan or the logic of their solvency / advantage stories, (2) the K identifies a single feature of capitalism which creates the link, (3) that single feature is the cause of the impact, and (4) the alternative directly addresses that feature of capitalism.  This is important, because authors rarely agree with each other on what capitalism is, so they're often talking about different things using the same term.  Debaters should be able to talk about markets, or private property, or whatever feature of capitalism they find specifically problematic, and tell that story without ever once resorting to the term 'capitalism' as a key part of the diagrammatic logic of the argument.

• Upvote 4

I would download files from openev sources on the Cap K, and if you want more traditional literature reading start by reading Marxism literature and then expanding based on what you understand and don't understand.

For a beginner, reading through the full cards on cap files should be a good starting point though.