aliceg

Edelman aff

Thoughts on an Edelman k aff with an advocacy that isn't so "death-y"?

Would it be possible to cross apply authors of other queer theory to generate a positive outcome?

I was running an Edelman aff talking about biomedical surveillance that had a plan text. You can text me if you want to trade, but Pablo is right, Edelman is not optimist.

Honestly you should read an affirmative that coaches on your team will know how to coach.  If the coaching staff at Kamiak hasn't changed drastically in the past 6 months (and your coaching staff wasn't too bad for the circuit so I hope it hasn't), Edelman isn't the route you want to go - or likely any aff that isn't topical for that matter.  (speaking of the one aff I've seen on this topic that relates to queerness in any fashion and tries to be topical it wasn't great to say the least)  Frankly if you're debating the Washington circuit you probably want something at least close to a policy aff anyways.

Edited by Sparf

A pessimistic literature base lends itself to providing the K aff with strong offense against topicality and framework. An optimistic base, if you're not advocating a topical plan, will make those debates much more difficult.

A pessimistic literature base lends itself to providing the K aff with strong offense against topicality and framework. An optimistic base, if you're not advocating a topical plan, will make those debates much more difficult.

Alright well in terms of Edelman; it's pretty shit 

ummm ehhhh if you want a better queer aff - try something like a Puar aff or Prison Abolition with a queer lense on the aff 

if you want some more details pm me 

like edelman hasssssssss wayyyyyyyyyyyy to many issues .......

• Upvote 2

ummm ehhhh if you want a better queer aff - try something like a Puar aff or Prison Abolition with a queer lense on the aff 

if you want some more details pm me 

like edelman hasssssssss wayyyyyyyyyyyy to many issues .......

There's a difference between the queerness that Edelman discusses in the context of identarianism and Puar's queerness that draws somewhat from Jose Muñoz.

Or...you could be optimistic and topical. It's not that hard to defend that we should reduce surveillance of queer populations.

Also, didn't we both read topical queer theory aff's on last year's topic?

Edited by SnarkosaurusRex

lol im more straight up don't run edelman , just  run puar , munoz something or prison abolition just their are better authors 

edit : put wrong word 

not don;t but here are better ideas 

Edited by JaredCroitoru

lol im more straight up don't run edelman , just dont' run puar , munoz something or prison abolition just their are better authors 

I'm so confused

lol im more straight up don't run edelman , just dont' run puar , munoz something or prison abolition just their are better authors 

Why not Puar? Her critique on gender/sexuality-liberalism in the United States is pretty fire; although with a book boasting a name such as Terrorist Assemblages: Homonationalism in Queer Times, there's bound to be some confusion on what she's writing about. All in all, if you read through her entire book, it's pretty good. If read in conjunction with Halberstams, Queer Art of Failure; make's to be a wonderful experience. 

#DeleuzeandGuattari5ever 

Edited by Theparanoiacmachine

Why not Puar? Her critique on gender/sexuality-liberalism in the United States is pretty fire; although with a book boasting a name such as Terrorist Assemblages: Homonationalism in Queer Times, there's bound to be some confusion on what she's writing about. All in all, if you through her entire book, it's pretty good. If read in conjunction with Halberstams, Queer Art of Failure; make's to be a wonderful experience. 

#DeleuzeandGuattari5ever 

You share my taste in philosophy, so I'll go ahead and suggest looking into an artist/activist named Zach Blas. He writes some phenomenal stuff. 

He had a website called Queer Technologies that was actually one of the most interesting websites I've every seen. Unfortunately, the domain no longer exists (I'm pretty sure it was taken down). Some of his works are still out on the internet, so I recommend looking into his stuff.

Dallas John Baker is also a pretty neat person to look into. Writes a lot about queer writer-research.

Of course there's always Jose Muñoz (one of my favorite).

All in all, Puar is, like, the greatest person ever.