TheBigDA

Policy Strat against Islamophobia

My normal strat is a mixture of  speaking for others, circumvention, and Wilderson, but my UIL district is notorious for having strict STOCK and policy judges (many of which hate even CPs).

Does anyone know a good strat against Islamophobia that would be persuasive to judges like this- ideally with an emphasis on DA/Solvency?

• Downvote 1

My normal strat is a mixture of  speaking for others, circumvention, and Wilderson, but my UIL district is notorious for having strict STOCK and policy judges (many of which hate even CPs).

Does anyone know a good strat against Islamophobia that would be persuasive to judges like this- ideally with an emphasis on DA/Solvency?

It will depend on the plan text, but you could always read the Terror DA, with great concern for rhetoric while deploying it, but argue that an attack would come as a result of the plans curtailment of a particular kind of surveillance. (This would also assume that you're winning that yes, some of the surveillance they curtail is islamaphobic, but some of it is not, i.e. Fusion Centers) This would a. give you access to a lay impact, and b. turn case because even if a person of color did not commit the attack, because of squo islamaphobia it would get played off as if it were committed by another "radical muslim". 

If it is not a courts aff, T Its is good because you get them to concede that they only curtail federal surveillance, leaving you with a lot of room for local/state police fill in surveillance. This assumes that you concede the W/M and cross-apply it to the case flow. 

It will depend on the plan text, but you could always read the Terror DA, with great concern for rhetoric while deploying it, but argue that an attack would come as a result of the plans curtailment of a particular kind of surveillance. (This would also assume that you're winning that yes, some of the surveillance they curtail is islamaphobic, but some of it is not, i.e. Fusion Centers) This would a. give you access to a lay impact, and b. turn case because even if a person of color did not commit the attack, because of squo islamaphobia it would get played off as if it were committed by another "radical muslim". 

Disagree. While some people will agree with this, I think the Ks of the terror DA are just soo good and any decent team will wreck you on this. I definitely agree that it turns the aff but most islamophobia 1ACs have very good pre-empts built in and this would require you to spend a lot of time on the DA in the block.

IMO a much easier strat is states / bar CP which probably solves as much as the aff and go for politics as a net benefit. You can go for a decent impact and war probably also causes rolback just like a terror attack would, but the difference between this and the terror da is that with this strat you have a cp that solves the whole aff so all you need is a small risk of the DA AND you can defend that we should stop racist surveillance, while the terror DA requires you defend that racist surveillance is good.

If it is not a courts aff, T Its is good because you get them to concede that they only curtail federal surveillance, leaving you with a lot of room for local/state police fill in surveillance. This assumes that you concede the W/M and cross-apply it to the case flow. 

I also disagree with you here -- I don't see how this isn't just defense.

Let me rearticulate my point -- I don't get how pointing out that other racist actions occur is a reason not to stop racist federal surveillance policies.

• Upvote 1