youdidntseeme

Who are the top sophomores?

The beginning of the season has just started, but with the sophomore hoedown just finishing today and several big tournaments (Wake, Greenhill, New Trier) having gone by with sophomores breaking or getting bids, who do y'all think we should keep an eye out for / has the contention for being some of the top sophomores?

Some that come to mind on my list:

- Alan Hughes from Harker

- Arjun Srinivasan from Woodward

curious to hear your thoughts from hearing about these kids / watching them debate

We hit Peninsula JK in quarters of the hoe down, and they were incredibly good. They beat Harker in Semis, I'm not sure how the finals round went though. 

First place speaker also went to an 8th grader from MBA, I didn't get a chance to watch him, but I heard he was really good. 

• Upvote 1

South Eugene H.S. in Oregon has two sophomores that got a TOC bid at the NYC Invitational (Big Bronx).  Henry Lininger and Leo Saenger, I think.  Didn't see them, though.

Edited by Metsovercubsinfive
  • Upvote 1

We hit Peninsula JK in quarters of the hoe down, and they were incredibly good. They beat Harker in Semis, I'm not sure how the finals round went though. 

First place speaker also went to an 8th grader from MBA, I didn't get a chance to watch him, but I heard he was really good. 

Peninsula JK won finals; I remember going up against them two years ago actually at a local USC tournament, they were pretty good 

Edited by Theparanoiacmachine

South Eugene H.S. in Oregon has two sophomores that got a TOC bid at the NYC Invitational (Big Bronx).  Henry Lininger and Leo Saenger, I think.  Didn't see them, though.

Yeah, there are a couple of sophomores that have bids, but I'm very surprised that the Bronx is a bid tournament. I mean, 90% of the coaches poll teams went to St. Mark's (except for Blake SW, LOL), so I don't think the competition of that tournament is near the level of a typical bid tournament.

• Upvote 1

Yeah, there are a couple of sophomores that have bids, but I'm very surprised that the Bronx is a bid tournament. I mean, 90% of the coaches poll teams went to St. Mark's (except for Blake SW, LOL), so I don't think the competition of that tournament is near the level of a typical bid tournament.

Bid tournanments don't get determinations on what bid they are in the few weeks before the tournanment. Its all based on historical entries and how difficult it has been in the last few years.

Hey, that's us! I do agree that the competition was easier than usual, but I mean it still wasn't a walk in the park. Hopefully we can prove ourselves by doing well into the future, though. 

Hey, that's us! I do agree that the competition was easier than usual, but I mean it still wasn't a walk in the park. Hopefully we can prove ourselves by doing well into the future, though. 

Sick Assemblages Aff btw; idk how much success you're having with your advocacy but that Haggerty & Ericson 2k article has some pretty sweet evidence on how surveillance assemblages produce line of flights within themselves; there's also a pretty cool chapter in David Lyons book, Theorizing Surveillance: The Panopticon and Beyond, which extends on Haggerty & Ericson 2K specifically. 

Here's a link to Lyon's book; I believe it's Chapter 5, written by Bogard: http://www.mediafire.com/view/qu5ukbg10dnsafu/%5BDavid_Lyon%5D_Theorizing_surveillance_the_panoptic%28BookZZ.org%29.pdf

• Upvote 1

Sick Assemblages Aff btw; idk how much success you're having with your advocacy but that Haggerty & Ericson 2k article has some pretty sweet evidence on how surveillance assemblages produce line of flights within themselves; there's also a pretty cool chapter in David Lyons book, Theorizing Surveillance: The Panopticon and Beyond, which extends on Haggerty & Ericson 2K specifically. 

Here's a link to Lyon's book; I believe it's Chapter 5, written by Bogard: http://www.mediafire.com/view/qu5ukbg10dnsafu/%5BDavid_Lyon%5D_Theorizing_surveillance_the_panoptic%28BookZZ.org%29.pdf

Ya we cut that but we don't really read assemblages anymore. Honestly I think that the way that DnG is deployed in debate is antithetical to their philosophy but that is still a debate that I am having with Leo. If you want my proof, check out the part of ATP (A Thousand Plateaus) about chess vs. go. I would cut it because it wrecks DnG teams left and right.