tl32501

Best affs so far?

Now that the season is under way, what are some of the coolest, best, or most obscure affs y'all have hit?

Haven't hit it, but a few teams at my school run this really cool drones transparency aff

• Upvote 2

wow thanks!! that aff was really fun to write and cut!! any suggestions for change?

CKM's Homelessness Aff; K debating done right

• Upvote 1

I hate to bring a thread back from the dead, but I'm curious if anyone has opinions about affs that weren't already mentioned.

• Upvote 1

I hate to bring a thread back from the dead, but I'm curious if anyone has opinions about affs that weren't already mentioned.

Pretty much all the affs that have been mentioned are at least good/interesting. LRC WW's aff is really good. If you want more, look on the wiki for the best teams in the country (Rolland-Hall, St Marks KP, Peninsula LP, etc). They all have good affs.

CKM's Homelessness Aff; K debating done right 

That's our sister school. Nate and Eric are the best :D

Our aff, SPOT, is pretty killer when it comes to lay debating and is also VERY persuasive, the way we run it, with experienced judges.

Edited by OneOffPresumption
  • Upvote 1

That's our sister school. Nate and Eric are the best :D

Our aff, SPOT, is pretty killer when it comes to lay debating and is also VERY persuasive, the way we run it, with experienced judges.

What is spot?

What is spot?

SPOT, or Screening Passenger by Observation Technique is a TSA program that pulls people out of line based on micro-expressions. It leaves questioning up to the officers, which leads to racial profiling.

Here are cites, they are a bit outdated - http://hspolicy.debatecoaches.org/Nevada+Union/Anderson-Muir+Aff

What is spot?

It's a TSA program that does Screening Passengers by Observation Techniques and it's said to racially profile. 

Eh, the SPOT aff i've seen has very little evidence actually pertaining to SPOT and tons of failures to bridge I/L holes.  I'm not about to go track down your specific cites to see if you've fixed the problem, but my impression from ~2h of research was there was very little literature on SPOT, and most of the allegations were just that - allegations - with no actual evidence to back them up.  The ACLU, which is the ultimate source for most of the racial profiling claims, provides zero warrants anywhere for those claims to show that racial profiling has been caused by SPOT.  The court case is still pending, afaik, if it ever reaches trial, and we probably won't know if they have a case until they show their hand at trial.

• Upvote 2