dancon25

Schopenhauer

Oh, I forgot to mention: there's not very much on the fourth book of World as Will and Representation, the one on ethics, which is crucial for the debate-kritik version of his philosophy. I missed classes for the GSU tournament. But you should read the last three sections of his book on your own, and reading the notes will prime you sufficiently for that. It'll introduce you to the "alt," so to speak, and why suicide is not the answer, and what we should (un)expect once committed to the cessation of willing. There are other sections in the fourth book that are important, but those last three are probably the most insightful.

We completed another test, so I updated the folders. First, I added my reading notes to Schopenhauer in the newly-reorganized "Schopenhauer" folder. Second, I uploaded a "Wagner - Birth of Tragedy - Genealogy(1)" folder with my class notes and reading guide entries.

We went over Schopenhauer's influence on Wagner and their influence on Nietzsche, Nietzsche's use of the Apollonian and Dionysian concepts in The Birth of Tragedy, the idea that life is an aesthetic phenomenon, and then we got to the first essay of The Genealogy of Morals. We discuss ressentiment, bad conscience (some), and Nietzsche's physiological approach to philosophy and his genealogical approach to history. Further explored are topics like the distinction between active and reactive forces, affirmation and denial, why there's no such thing as a person, that everything is a force and there is no such thing as what you may call fixed "substance" ontology, why will to power doesn't really seek power, and more! Included are my copious reading notes of the Deleuze readings we had to do from his Nietzsche and Philosophy. If you've ever wanted Deleuze's passages on Nietzsche condensed to 14-page summation essays, your dream is now fulfilled. If not, you're a normal person, which is to say a boring one.

If you read Deleuze, if you read Nietzsche or Schopenhauer, if you've ever tried to use ressentiment as an impact (or tried to debate against it), if you've ever wondered where Foucault gets so damned much of his influence from: this will be a helpful resource for you.

Here's the link again: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_MEhz6Cg_aJb0EtcXdFTWlueGs

I hope this is helpful.

• Upvote 2