Hi! I've sortof heard about other people running an anthro k in my circuit, but i'm not entirely clear on what it is. What is it exactly? Whats the usual alt? What does it mean to be "anthropocentric"? What authors should I read up on to learn more about/cut cards for an anthro k? What would be a good way to respond to an anthro k? Where can I cut good cards in response to an anthro k? Thanks!

Anthropocentrism is basically thinking about humans first.

Answers:

-Framework

-Anthro inevitable

-K bites itself (only value in nature is natural selection, which isn't a moral value.  Any value they're espousing is itself anthropocentric).

-If the K does adopt natural selection as their value, it vindicates the behaviors they're criticizing and worse. (K worse than what it's Kritiking).

-Humans only source of moral values

-perms

-Double Bind (either the perm solves the K enough, or the K will never solve)

-no impact / impact turns

-Some sort of Schmitt-esque 'othering is necessary' type argument combined with 'othering animals means we don't have to other some people'

-Alt meaningless or destructive (seriously, try to get them to explain what their alt actually means.  Half the time its new-agey gobbledygook, and the other half the time its a violent hatred for humans disguised as pro-animal sentiment.)

Edited by Squirrelloid
  • Upvote 2

Anthropocentrism is basically thinking about humans first.

Answers:

-Framework

-Anthro inevitable

-K bites itself (only value in nature is natural selection, which isn't a moral value.  Any value they're espousing is itself anthropocentric).

-If the K does adopt natural selection as their value, it vindicates the behaviors they're criticizing and worse. (K worse than what it's Kritiking).

-Humans only source of moral values

-perms

-Double Bind (either the perm solves the K enough, or the K will never solve)

-no impact / impact turns

-Some sort of Schmitt-esque 'othering is necessary' type argument combined with 'othering animals means we don't have to other some people'

-Alt meaningless or destructive (seriously, try to get them to explain what their alt actually means.  Half the time its new-agey gobbledygook, and the other half the time its a violent hatred for humans disguised as pro-animal sentiment.)

If they're semi decent at anthro they will probably utilize that as a link booster, which can be really dangerous if you're losing or net neutral on the impact debate. 

I definitely agree that the alt is probably net worse than the squo, and the impact is probably anthropocentric in itself, absent it being like a fish genocide as seen on last years topic. 

• Upvote 1

If they're semi decent at anthro they will probably utilize that as a link booster, which can be really dangerous if you're losing or net neutral on the impact debate. 

You can always default back to a more pure Schmitt position.

And if you're halfway decent at arguing that, you can easily poke fun of their attempt to use it as a link booster. This is an internal link turn.  Boosting the link just boosts the turn on the internal link.

Edited by Squirrelloid
  • Upvote 1

I definitely agree that the alt is probably net worse than the squo, and the impact is probably anthropocentric in itself, absent it being like a fish genocide as seen on last years topic. 

You will not delink against a good team. They will find literally the most generic links you've ever seen. It's like reading Edelman and being like "Did you do something that tried to think about the future?" and the answer is 100% yes (if they're topical/not nutbags) so you just link. I've ranted about anthro enough for one account but I suppose that mr.Trump is correct about his analysis. I just think that trying to delink is a stupid idea. 

• Upvote 1