debatequestions

Questions about the topic...

Hi Everyone! This is my first time using cross-x.com -  I have a few questions about this topic...

- What is durable fiat? How would the aff use it to answer circumvention for the NSA aff?

From what I understand durable fiat means that we assume nothing will be done to the plan after it is passed. Because this argument is based on the word "should" in the topic you could essentially say the debate needs to be focused on whether or not the plan ought to be done, not what happens to the plan after it is fiated (in the future), and thus circumvention won't happen in this world of "durable fiat".

• Upvote 1

Basically it's the right to debate the merits of the plan not whether or not the plan gets passed. Absent durable fiat, people could just read "repubs hate it, and they have majority so GG"

Edited by DonaldTrump
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Basically it's the right to debate the merits of the plan not whether or not the plan gets passed. Absent durable fiat, people could just read "repubs hate it, and they have majority so GG"

This is incorrect. That's what fiat is. Durable fiat means that fiat last even after the plan gets passed. It's an answer to rollback arguments.

In the context of OP - durable fiat is a theory argument which means circumvention arguments are illegitimate because they prevent the merits of the plan from truly being discussed. For the similar reasons which make fiat legitimate, durable fiat also can be justified.