10/9-10 Wichita East

10/16-17 Blue Valley North

10/23-24 Kapaun Mount Carmel

10/30-31 Newton

11/6-7 Kansas City, KS Community College

11/13-14 Shawnee Mission East

11/20-21 Topeka High

12/4-5 Maize

I don't know if I'm just irrelevant but what is the DCI?

I don't know if I'm just irrelevant but what is the DCI?

DCI is the TOC of Kansas debate. Due to KSHSAA rules we can't travel farther than 500 miles from the school, i.e. most bid tournaments, and the TOC itself. So to compensate they created DCI. You need 2 bids to qualify, you earn 1 bid by making it in the top 16 at any of the tournaments listed (some only break to quarters) and can earn 2 by winning the tournament. It's pretty much exclusive to Kansas debate, I've never heard of a similar practice on a state level anywhere else in the country. 

Good answer. There are several different levels of competition in Kansas, and the students really have no control over what level they are in, i.e. if their school is a 1A, 3A, 5A or 6A school, what NFL district they are in, their school's budget, whether their regional is stacked or a cake walk, etc. You can have all the best teams in the state in one NFL district, and a bunch of lesser teams qualifying to nationals from the other districts. Or you could be a really awesome team from a 2A school and never get to compete against 6A teams. You could qualify to nationals or win a state championship and never even compete against the best teams in the state. Some coaches got together a long time ago, I think in the early 80s, and decided to create a tournament in which you had to be in the top 24 in the state (regardless of school classification or NFL district), and the coaches across the state would vote on which teams got in. The idea was that the tournament would more accurately determine which teams were really the best in the state. They called it the Debate Coach's invitational or DCI. In order to increase your chances of qualifying, it was a good strategy to do very well at tournaments in several different parts of the state so most of the coaches were familiar with you. In the 2000s the system of qualifying to DCI was changed from a voting system to a bids system in which teams competed at specific qualifying tournaments which were every weekend during the season, and based on their performance at these tournaments, the top teams qualified to DCI. You have to have at least 2 "bids" to qualify, and qualifying to nationals also countes as a bid. Typically the tournament has between 24 and 40 teams.

Back in voting days, the champ tournaments you definitely wanted to be at were
Washburn Rural
Manhattan
Topeka High

Salina Central

Shawnee Mission West

Lawrence
Those were the ones where the best teams from all over the state typically showed up.
Other good champ tournaments were Winfield, Wichita East, Wichita Southeast, Hutchinson, Shawnee Heights, Emporia, Valley Center, Blue Valley, and Winfield

Edited by keiv

DCI is the TOC of Kansas debate. Due to KSHSAA rules we can't travel farther than 500 miles from the school, i.e. most bid tournaments, and the TOC itself. So to compensate they created DCI. You need 2 bids to qualify, you earn 1 bid by making it in the top 16 at any of the tournaments listed (some only break to quarters) and can earn 2 by winning the tournament. It's pretty much exclusive to Kansas debate, I've never heard of a similar practice on a state level anywhere else in the country. 

This is a myth. DCI has existed since the early 80s... long, long before there was any sort of controversy about the 500 mile rule.  It was NOT created in response to out of state travel restrictions. It was created to match the best teams from all classifications in a way that the state tournament didn't. 

I think that people get confused because the DCI bid qualification system started around the same time that the "no TOC travel" thing really blew up (not to say that the issue didn't exist before then). The bid system was an idea borrowed from the TOC that addressed the issues many coaches had with the previous school ballot selection system.