I'm planning on writing my first biopower K for the new LD topic (I do LD), and need some help with the alt. Most of the alts I've seen are incoherent postmodern vocabulary or some bullshit like "vote neg". Whats the best alt to run to a biopower K (I'm cool with floating PIKs too)

I'm planning on writing my first biopower K for the new LD topic (I do LD), and need some help with the alt. Most of the alts I've seen are incoherent postmodern vocabulary or some bullshit like "vote neg". Whats the best alt to run to a biopower K (I'm cool with floating PIKs too)

While Foucault doesn't give one, actually reading Foucault and understanding the nuances of his discussion will probably suggest alternatives.

The relevant literature for biopower specifically is:
The History of Sexuality vol 1 p135-145 or thereabouts
Society Must be Protected; Chapter Eleven
Security, Territory, Population
Birth of Biopolitics

All of those are available as pdfs online.

Rather than going to Agamben for an alternative, I'd suggest finding authors on the topic in question whose ideas seem to address the things Foucault problematizes.  This will require some scholarship on your part, not just being a mouthpiece for your authors.

Note: Foucault, especially the lectures (which is where most of the biopower material is), is quite readable and has a minimum of incoherent postmodern vocabulary.
Edited by Squirrelloid
  • Upvote 3

Why isn't the critique itself an alternative? Or activist struggle? Or Nietzschean aesthetics? Or historical decipherment/unmasking bio-power?

...I guess I need a definition of 'alternative' which doesn't simply re-impose conventional policy discourse (what Foucault called "ministerial cabinet talk") in a circular fashion. Two crucial passages I'd recomment are Chapter 9 of Politics, Philosophy, Culture (Routledge: 1990) and pages 82-86 in The Foucault Effect (University Of Chicago Press: 1991).

https://www.cross-x.com/topic/44193-problems-with-any-alternative-to-foucaultbiopolitics/?do=findComment&comment=753807

https://www.cross-x.com/topic/44152-foucault-capitalism/?do=findComment&comment=753548

Q: "Do you think that the Greeks offer an attractive and plausible alternative?"

A: "No! I am not looking for an alternative; you can't find the solution of a problem in the solution of another problem raised at another moment by other people. You see, what I want to do is not the history of solutions, and that's the reason why I don't accept the word alternative. I would like to do the genealogy of problems... My point is not that everything is bad, but that everything is dangerous, which is not exactly the same as bad. If everything is dangerous, then we always have something to do."

Edited by Lazzarone