NorikoSatsume

I've been working on a webapp for flowing! Mimmicks vim and real-world paper debate

I hope this is the right place. Couldn't think of anywhere else.

I've made a debate webapp that tries to mimick the long columns used by paper debate. I know that most people nowadays use excel spreadsheets, but I just thought I'd work on a neat alternative for fun, plus maybe someone will get some use out of it.

DebateFlow.us

Features:

• Two modes: navigation and edit mode
  • use arrow keys to navigate in navigation mode
  • press i to enter edit mode to edit a card
  • press esc to exit edit mode and enter navigation mode again
  • press enter after typing card header to move to card body
  • press ctrl-enter when done editing card to either move to the next card or create a new one if there is no next card
  • press ctrl-enter in navigation mode to create a new card after the currently highlighted one
  • press ctrl-shift-enter in navigation mode to create a new round after the currently highlighted one (1NC, 1NR, etc.)
  • to create a new round, press ctrl-shift-enter, type in a title, and press escape. Then press ctrl-enter to create a new card and drop into edit mode

tell me any ideas or questions or comments you have here

• Upvote 8

Well not just for linux, but yes!

And it mimmicks vim in only a very very small way. I've yet to add more functionality in that regard (home key navigation, etc.)

I hope this is the right place. Couldn't think of anywhere else.

I've made a debate webapp that tries to mimick the long columns used by paper debate. I know that most people nowadays use excel spreadsheets, but I just thought I'd work on a neat alternative for fun, plus maybe someone will get some use out of it.

DebateFlow.us

Features:

• Two modes: navigation and edit mode
  • use arrow keys to navigate in navigation mode
  • press i to enter edit mode to edit a card
  • press esc to exit edit mode and enter navigation mode again
  • press enter after typing card header to move to card body
  • press ctrl-enter when done editing card to either move to the next card or create a new one if there is no next card
  • press ctrl-enter in navigation mode to create a new card after the currently highlighted one
  • press ctrl-shift-enter in navigation mode to create a new round after the currently highlighted one (1NC, 1NR, etc.)
  • to create a new round, press ctrl-shift-enter, type in a title, and press escape. Then press ctrl-enter to create a new card and drop into edit mode

tell me any ideas or questions or comments you have here

After hitting ctrl-shift-enter to create a new round, I'm stuck on the title and hitting escape does nothing.

Chrome, latest edition.

I'm getting the same problem the problem as well (I am developing on chrome). I'm busy with studying right now but once I knock out all my overdue work I'll work on this. Thanks for the bug report.

I've added new functionality to my flowing app!

You may now notice two little boxes in the bottom right. One says save and the other is an upload window.

To save your work for later use, click save. It will give you a textbox with HTML in it. Copy and paste this html into a file called "whateveryouwanttocallit".html

Then, if you want to load this file later, click the file upload box, find the file, and click open, and it will be there for you to continue editing, or perhaps show off your marvelous 1NR to your friends!

NOTE: I do NOT save your files. This is all hosted on github, a static page, which means I can only temporarily hold the data of your uploaded file until you refresh the window. I CANNOT BACK UP YOUR FLOWS FOR YOU. Save often.

Hi everyone. Update on this webapp. Added a few new features, so here's a list of everything it can do now:

• Add and delete individual cards; each card has a tagline and a body editable
  • Add and delete turns. Each turn has an editable title (1AR, 1AC, etc.)
  • Expandable both vertically and horizontally. Endless space for maximum paperless debate
  • quickly go from one card to another with simple keystrokes
  • local saving and loading of flows to save work and show to teammates for review later

Features that are almost done and will be added shortly:

• Mark cards red to note that the card has been/must be dropped from the flow. Useful to note to the judge which cards the opponent did/did not address
  • Draw lines to connect cards together to show a progression of thought. Connect 1 contention to its rebuttal, or connect a dropped card to a note you've made to mention that it has been dropped
  • Lines can be toggled between 3 states
    • All lines shown
    • No lines shown
    • Lines to and from the currently selected card shown

Potentially added in the future:

• Saving flows to registered accounts, MAYBE (costs bandwidth, etc. I wouldn't do this unless I could tell that people were actually using it)
  • Maybe add some debate tools, like an in-browser timer.

As it stands, there is no standalone app for the desktop. If there is sparse internet at your tournament, or internet is not allowed, you can simply save a local copy of the webapp by pressing ctrl-s and saving the full webpage to some folder somewhere.

Please let me know if you have any comments, requests, or issue to report.

Thanks  :)

At the bottom is an example flow I did. I did LD in highschool so it's an LD flow, which also shows a variety of different cards such as values and value criterion.

kzEmEqd.png

Edited by NorikoSatsume
  • Upvote 6