JeanLucPicard

where to find cards

A few free resources:

SSRN.com

Google Scholar

philpapers.org

Those are my go-to research hubs, I'm sure others can add many many more.

Also, using Wikipedia citations is occasionally useful.

• Upvote 1

If you have any access to any databases like jstor or lexus nexus, you can probably ask your coach for a login. They have some good articles. Like rigbert said, google scholar is good as well, you'll get a different outcome / papers. 

Also if you get briefs, going back to the articles they cut and cutting them for your self is an easy strat so you can understand where the cards come from and stuff. 

Insofar in my research, I've been plugging in phrases into Google. Is there any other, better method of finding cards?

Google is a good start when it comes to entry level research for an arguments. If you cut a lot of larger articles you will be in a good place in terms of know where and how to find more specific information.

• Upvote 1

Google is a good start when it comes to entry level research for an arguments. If you cut a lot of larger articles you will be in a good place in terms of know where and how to find more specific information.

Honestly depending on the type of arguments you go for. Google/Google Scholar is all you need . Unless you need a really specific DA to a specific aff, you shouldn't really need an expensive journal. If you are all aboard the K train, then you might want to try to go to a local library/(community) college library to procure access. 

Lexis is good for legal articles 

Muse/JSTOR/wiley is really good for DA's related to IR and K's

• Upvote 1

not relevant but you used "insofar" wrong lol

oh? how so? (not in an accusational way, i'm legitimately curious)

And another question-- is there any way I can find better results in a better than I currently am? (aside from typing phrases like "political capital not key" into the search bar)

oh? how so? (not in an accusational way, i'm legitimately curious)

And another question-- is there any way I can find better results in a better than I currently am? (aside from typing phrases like "political capital not key" into the search bar)

Search filters are your friend.

Also, use stuff like filetype:pdf and quotes "like this" to limit your search either down to only pdf's and to ensure you get those specific words in the article.

There are more things like that in  this

Honestly depending on the type of arguments you go for. Google/Google Scholar is all you need . Unless you need a really specific DA to a specific aff, you shouldn't really need an expensive journal. If you are all aboard the K train, then you might want to try to go to a local library/(community) college library to procure access. 

Lexis is good for legal articles 

Muse/JSTOR/wiley is really good for DA's related to IR and K's

Agreed. Sometimes Libraries can lack in philosophy texts. At least some of the local libraries in my area don't have much in the way of race theory. 

Tbh Google has gotten me very far you just need to know where to go.

How do people find cards from articles/books where the title has nothing to do with the card? I seem to be very constrained by the title of books and articles and that determines which ones I look at, but I see that often people get cards where they're totally unrelated to the title, so what am I doing wrong?

How do people find cards from articles/books where the title has nothing to do with the card? I seem to be very constrained by the title of books and articles and that determines which ones I look at, but I see that often people get cards where they're totally unrelated to the title, so what am I doing wrong?

Figure out which authors write about the topic area, and read their books?

• Upvote 3

Read the description?

If you're finding them online like through Google, there should be a short blurb and that can give you a good hint as to the usefulness of the source.

• Upvote 1

How would I go about doing that?

I'd probably start by finding some literature, and checking the sources.  But there are other ways, like checking a journal which covers the subject and see who publishes in it.

• Upvote 1

Here are six key places to do research for debate:

1) Google

2) Google News

3) Paid/Professional Databases (available at Public Libraries and Universities)

4) Government documents

5) Interlibrary loan (mostly used for books)

6) Its also possible to use Amazon for key books which aren't particularly expensive. 

I would suggest that in my experience that most of my work was done on professional databases, but you have to make due when you don't have those or figure out how to legally get access.

You can also use citations from:

1) The cards from the Open Evidence Project

2) The Caselist wiki (which is up, but doesn't have anything on it as of Mid-August).  In a month it will have a lot more. 

3) Getting cites from other teams in rounds (generally after debates or in down time)

4) Asking for cites on here or trading cites on here.

* I'm not excluding any of the answers above.  I was just trying to provide what have been in my experience the most fruitful and helpful.

Edited by nathan_debate
  • Upvote 1