Affhole

Role of the judge

Do y'all know any articles that supports: "the role of the judge is to be an antiethical decision maker"? I'm running a race aff and the ethics of the solvency method is questionable.

Do y'all know any articles that supports: "the role of the judge is to be an antiethical decision maker"? I'm running a race aff and the ethics of the solvency method is questionable.

I don't have the card - I'd like it as well - but this is the cite

Role of the judge is to be an anti-ethical decision maker. All decision calculus must revolve around the ontological entity of the slave.

Curry ’13  [Dr. Tommy Curry is an associate Prof of Philosophy @ Texas AandM ; “In the Fiat of Dreams: The Delusional Allure of Hope, the Reality of Anti-Black Violence and the Demands of the Anti-Ethical” Academia.edu]

• Upvote 1

It's "do not cite without permission from author". Probably specifically intended to make sure no debaters were reading cards from that article, but they do it anyway :/

I think Towson read this back in the 2014 resolution; then Centennial KK read it at the ToC Finals (the aff dropped this RoB and lost the match :c) 

It's "do not cite without permission from author". Probably specifically intended to make sure no debaters were reading cards from that article, but they do it anyway :/

Actually, it's because it's a *draft*, and therefore not finished, much less peer-reviewed or published.  It's basically a publicly available personal communication, and therefore not actually valid debate evidence.

Actually, it's because it's a *draft*, and therefore not finished, much less peer-reviewed or published.  It's basically a publicly available personal communication, and therefore not actually valid debate evidence.

People read facebook posts as debate evidence, I hardly think we haven't already crossed the threshold of "valid debate evidence". I still think its not exactly great that we're continuing to cut cards, however, despite the fact that it says explicitly not to cite it w/o the author's permission. 

Edited by CapitalismIsNotCool

People read facebook posts as debate evidence, I hardly think we've crossed that threshold. I still think its not exactly great that we're continuing to cut cards, however, despite the fact that it says explicitly not to cite it w/o the author's permission. 

Facebook posts aren't evidence either.

If you happen to debate in front of me, i will throw out anything which doesn't meet NSDA rules of evidence should debaters call my attention to it.  (Or if I happen to notice - unlikely, since i don't call for many cards, but if i see it...).  I will also seriously consider disputes on quality of evidence when it's that glaringly lacking.  I've seen pretty terrible cards masquerading as evidence, and I haven't hesitated to ignore them in the past.

(In particular, I feel that particular source is not valid evidence because it is not published, and therefore no year of publication can be cited, failing 7.1.B, nor arguably a true source - just being on the web isn't sufficient in my reading of 7.1.C.  It must be 'published' and have a valid MLA or APA cite.)

Edited by Squirrelloid

If you happen to debate in front of me, i will throw out anything which doesn't meet NSDA rules of evidence should debaters call my attention to it.  (Or if I happen to notice - unlikely, since i don't call for many cards, but if i see it...).  I will also seriously consider disputes on quality of evidence when it's that glaringly lacking.  I've seen pretty terrible cards masquerading as evidence, and I haven't hesitated to ignore them in the past.

I agree with you, I don't think facebook posts should be evidence, that's kinda my point. 

I also think, however, that we shouldn't be citing someone's article when it explicitly says that you shouldn't cite it without permission from the author. 

im inclined to think that as long as the claims made in any card are warranted the card should be considered legitimate. just because it comes from someone other than a published author, doesnt change the warrants. i do feel that things that aren't peer-reviewed like facebook posts probably aren't as GOOD as alternatives, i dont really think they arent to some extent true.

But if an article definitely says do not cite or use without permission, then thats not cool.

• Upvote 1

(In particular, I feel that particular source is not valid evidence because it is not published, and therefore no year of publication can be cited, failing 7.1.B, nor arguably a true source - just being on the web isn't sufficient in my reading of 7.1.C.  It must be 'published' and have a valid MLA or APA cite.)

TIL people exist who actually care about NSDA rules.  That's a new one.

• Upvote 3