danhep

Looking for Zerzan/Anarcho-Prim K

I'll trade HEAVILY - I has Black Fem K, Fem Intersectionality K, Taoism K, DnG Ks, Death Cult K, OOO K, Queer Privacy K, Speed K, and a few others.

• Upvote 1

IMO Zerzan is not nearly comprehensive enough to stand on his own. He should be used alongside many other authors, not alone. Many of his arguments assume certain things which are debatable, like extent of environmental destruction etc. Primitivism is actually amazing and awesome and I want it to become more popular, but for that to happen Zerzan alone shouldn't be relied on. Actually, now I kind of want to try to write a primitivism file on my own. I know that Jared Diamond has called agriculture "the biggest mistake in human history", he is not exactly the best academic in the world but that seems like a potentially valuable starting point for research. Thanks for the thought.

I do worry that it might not link very well to everything, though. It would work for cases dealing with economic collapse, etc, but I'm not sure if it would work for much else. I guess a generic reformism vs revolution argument might suffice. Maybe a link to the fact that they're assuming the USFG will continue to exist, or that they're assuming digital technology like computers should not be fought against and destroyed entirely. "Butlerian Jihad" Kritik lel. Can anyone think of any other potential link arguments for either popular advantages or next year's topic in general?

If nothing else, primitivism can at least be a sexier version of the Cap K that dodges the standard blocks your opponents will have. It also can steal from the anthropocentrism K quite a bit. (Ohh, and maybe I can even K property rights, or rights in general, as another link to surveillance - the idea information is private presumes that "privacy" is a meaningful concept, which assumes individualism and government. Neato. Links might be viable after all - but still, if anyone can think of good links from primitivism to common advantages or to popular cases or to the generic topic, please post such speculations in this thread!) I like this thought.

OP, you and your camp friends are very smart for realizing that primitivism is potentially a good idea for next year's topic, or at least you're lucky in an interesting way. Imo it's a stronger argument than many other Ks which are currently popular today. Ideas such as primitivism, which take important foundational aspects of society that are rarely questioned and tries to argue against them, are what critiques should be all about. For some reason primitivism feels more real and as though its desirability is more analyzable from an evidence based policy standpoint than other things like communism. Maybe it's because primitivism doesn't have people like Slavoj Zizek involved with it, proclaiming that thinking about consequences is unnecessary and ignoring them is heroic. Maybe it's that once the world actually was primitivist and stayed that way for a long time, so we know for a fact it is kind of viable, whereas communism's sustainability is in contrast semi-debatable, communism has existed for less than a century as an ideology and perhaps never in practice. I don't know. But I do know I'm quite interested in this now. Hooray. Rolling back the tide of capitalism is one thing. Rolling back the tide of all human history and progress so far is quite another. Amazingly ambitious and lovely to consider (if also perhaps horrifying if one thinks that civilization and tech are good).

Not a guarantee that I'll write a file - far from it. I've failed to follow through on many interesting files I've considered in the past. And I have more on my plate now than I ever have had before, there are plenty of unpleasant personal difficulties I am dealing with at the moment. But I should at least be able to find a couple neat cards or two. I hope. If I find just one or two cards but not enough for a full file, I promise to post them to cross-x.

Anyways, yeah. Zerzan Ks do exist, but they kind of suck in my experience. His writing is scattered, he writes a lot of interesting essays about a diverse array of weird eclectic things like the Western conception of time, or literacy. That means he's great as a secondary author, but it's precisely what makes him insufficient as a primary one. Just go cut one or two of his essays yourself, and then go on to research other anarchist or primitivist authors. Maybe there's good stuff on the college wiki I never saw when in high school, or maybe somebody's done some good research on Zerzan sometime in the last three or four years since I last tried digging for a Zerzan file, but I doubt it and would advise you to do the same, either write your own file or just use Zerzan as supplements for other things, or give up entirely. Even just using other files as a template is not going to be a particularly good idea, given how sparse the literature is. Waste of time. But I appreciate it anyway!

Also, if my writing seems more scattered lately, y'all should know that's the result of an intentional decision. I have had some insecurities in the past about the quality of my ideas, but I recently realized that all the objective evidence I have like test scores etc indicates I'm actually quite smart and I shouldn't be afraid to voice what I think. I'd clamped down on my own opinions out of fear and a desire to be polite and facilitate conversation with others, but I clamped down far too hard, so now I need to counterbalance against that by erring towards the opposite extreme. Speaking up and getting told when I'm wrong is superior to staying quiet anyways, after all, and this has always been an important ideal to me, just now I'm trying harder to actually live that ideal in practice rather than only aspire to it in theory. My grammar's quality is going to decline, but hopefully in inverse proportion to the ease with which I express my good ideas that I formerly would never have voiced at all. I hope you can bear with me through the stylistic change, because if you can I think the results will be quite rewarding for us. Love, Chaos.

Edited by Scarf
  • Upvote 5
  • Downvote 2

IMO Zerzan is not nearly comprehensive enough to stand on his own. He should be used alongside many other authors, not alone. Many of his arguments assume certain things which are debatable, like extent of environmental destruction etc. Primitivism is actually amazing and awesome and I want it to become more popular, but for that to happen Zerzan alone shouldn't be relied on. Actually, now I kind of want to try to write a primitivism file on my own. I know that Jared Diamond has called agriculture "the biggest mistake in human history", he is not exactly the best academic in the world but that seems like a potentially valuable starting point for research. Thanks for the thought.

I do worry that it might not link very well to everything, though. It would work for cases dealing with economic collapse, etc, but I'm not sure if it would work for much else. I guess a generic reformism vs revolution argument might suffice. Maybe a link to the fact that they're assuming the USFG will continue to exist, or that they're assuming digital technology like computers should not be fought against and destroyed entirely. "Butlerian Jihad" Kritik lel. Can anyone think of any other potential link arguments for either popular advantages or next year's topic in general?

If nothing else, primitivism can at least be a sexier version of the Cap K that dodges the standard blocks your opponents will have. It also can steal from the anthropocentrism K quite a bit. (Ohh, and maybe I can even K property rights, or rights in general, as another link to surveillance - the idea information is private presumes that "privacy" is a meaningful concept, which assumes individualism and government. Neato. Links might be viable after all - but still, if anyone can think of good links from primitivism to common advantages or to popular cases or to the generic topic, please post such speculations in this thread!) I like this thought.

OP, you and your camp friends are very smart for realizing that primitivism is potentially a good idea for next year's topic, or at least you're lucky in an interesting way. Imo it's a stronger argument than many other Ks which are currently popular today. Ideas such as primitivism, which take important foundational aspects of society that are rarely questioned and tries to argue against them, are what critiques should be all about. For some reason primitivism feels more real and as though its desirability is more analyzable from an evidence based policy standpoint than other things like communism. Maybe it's because primitivism doesn't have people like Slavoj Zizek involved with it, proclaiming that thinking about consequences is unnecessary and ignoring them is heroic. Maybe it's that once the world actually was primitivist and stayed that way for a long time, so we know for a fact it is kind of viable, whereas communism's sustainability is in contrast semi-debatable, communism has existed for less than a century as an ideology and perhaps never in practice. I don't know. But I do know I'm quite interested in this now. Hooray. Rolling back the tide of capitalism is one thing. Rolling back the tide of all human history and progress so far is quite another. Amazingly ambitious and lovely to consider (if also perhaps horrifying if one thinks that civilization and tech are good).

Not a guarantee that I'll write a file - far from it. I've failed to follow through on many interesting files I've considered in the past. And I have more on my plate now than I ever have had before, there are plenty of unpleasant personal difficulties I am dealing with at the moment. But I should at least be able to find a couple neat cards or two. I hope. If I find just one or two cards but not enough for a full file, I promise to post them to cross-x.

Anyways, yeah. Zerzan Ks do exist, but they kind of suck in my experience. His writing is scattered, he writes a lot of interesting essays about a diverse array of weird eclectic things like the Western conception of time, or literacy. That means he's great as a secondary author, but it's precisely what makes him insufficient as a primary one. Just go cut one or two of his essays yourself, and then go on to research other anarchist or primitivist authors. Maybe there's good stuff on the college wiki I never saw when in high school, or maybe somebody's done some good research on Zerzan sometime in the last three or four years since I last tried digging for a Zerzan file, but I doubt it and would advise you to do the same, either write your own file or just use Zerzan as supplements for other things, or give up entirely. Even just using other files as a template is not going to be a particularly good idea, given how sparse the literature is. Waste of time. But I appreciate it anyway!

Also, if my writing seems more scattered lately, y'all should know that's the result of an intentional decision. I have had some insecurities in the past about the quality of my ideas, but I recently realized that all the objective evidence I have like test scores etc indicates I'm actually quite smart and I shouldn't be afraid to voice what I think. I'd clamped down on my own opinions out of fear and a desire to be polite and facilitate conversation with others, but I clamped down far too hard, so now I need to counterbalance against that by erring towards the opposite extreme. Speaking up and getting told when I'm wrong is superior to staying quiet anyways, after all, and this has always been an important ideal to me, just now I'm trying harder to actually live that ideal in practice rather than only aspire to it in theory. My grammar's quality is going to decline, but hopefully in inverse proportion to the ease with which I express my good ideas that I formerly would never have voiced at all. I hope you can bear with me through the stylistic change, because if you can I think the results will be quite rewarding for us. Love, Chaos. Scarf <3

ftfy

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

So paired with some secondary lit on heidegger it wouldnt be too crazy to conceive of this being an interesting 1nc if read properly

I'm thinking

Law Link 

Impact 

Caveman alt?

That's just an idea since ive never read the individual

Edited by EndlessFacepalm

So paired with some secondary lit on heidegger it wouldnt be too crazy to conceive of this being an interesting 1nc if read properly

I'm thinking

Law Link 

Impact 

Caveman alt?

That's just an idea since ive never read the individual

There's a Callister article that takes a pretty good stance of Heidegger and the Law. I cut a K centered around that, but it's a bit more like security. Anyways,  Pm me if you wanna trade/combine files to make this k. 

Also, if my writing seems more scattered lately, y'all should know that's the result of an intentional decision. I have had some insecurities in the past about the quality of my ideas, but I recently realized that all the objective evidence I have like test scores etc indicates I'm actually quite smart and I shouldn't be afraid to voice what I think. I'd clamped down on my own opinions out of fear and a desire to be polite and facilitate conversation with others, but I clamped down far too hard, so now I need to counterbalance against that by erring towards the opposite extreme. Speaking up and getting told when I'm wrong is superior to staying quiet anyways, after all, and this has always been an important ideal to me, just now I'm trying harder to actually live that ideal in practice rather than only aspire to it in theory. My grammar's quality is going to decline, but hopefully in inverse proportion to the ease with which I express my good ideas that I formerly would never have voiced at all. I hope you can bear with me through the stylistic change, because if you can I think the results will be quite rewarding for us. Love, Chaos.

I do LD, so I was thinking of making it a generic K (gov link) or a new alt for heidegger/cap

plz don't mix two entirely different authors into a "K" that will probably only make sense to you 

I was just thinking of taking Heidegger's concept of 'letting being be,' paired with his work on schopenhauer talking about how we created and continue to create the suffering around us. 

I've never read Zerzan so I was throwing it out there to people who might have maybe read it to see if that did make sense.

Can I take creds for telling you about it at camp or was it someone else lol? (I ran an anarcho-prim cap alt)

You could also message Nick Smith and see if he'd be willing to hook you up with some cites for anarcho-primitivism or other potential resources

Edited by goodatthis
  • Upvote 1

Can I take creds for telling you about it at camp or was it someone else lol? (I ran an anarcho-prim cap alt)

You could also message Nick Smith and see if he'd be willing to hook you up with some cites for anarcho-primitivism or other potential resources

Nick Smith actually told me lol. I'm gonna ask him for some cites.

i can help you make this, but i definitely wouldn't center this around Zerzan

maybe Pelrman

actually a K written like AHAL would be lit

this is great too because i was meaning to do this myself, but helping someone else write this K would be cool too