jai127

College Debate?

How much of a time commitment would debate in college take? 

I'm looking at either policy/parli depending on which school I finally go to.

I'm planning on majoring in what's considered a "difficult"subject and I'd like to keep up my GPA while having a social life.

• Upvote 1

Ok a couple warnings you should heed : 

DO EVERYTHING in balance

- it will be the one thing giving you the best GPA you can get and social life .

Depends on what you want to do. If you just want to participate, then it's not all that much time. If you actually want to break in open and have a shot at making it to the NDT, then you're gonna need to spend a lot of time towards debate. For top teams it can be as much or significantly more than full time job.

Depends on what you want to do. If you just want to participate, then it's not all that much time. If you actually want to break in open and have a shot at making it to the NDT, then you're gonna need to spend a lot of time towards debate. For top teams it can be as much or significantly more than full time job.

I already spend an obscene amount of time right now, RIP. How's the class-social life- debate balance working out for you or other people you know? Is it as hard as everyone says to maintain your GPA when you're competing on the college circuit?

I already spend an obscene amount of time right now, RIP. How's the class-social life- debate balance working out for you or other people you know? Is it as hard as everyone says to maintain your GPA when you're competing on the college circuit?

doubt it; most debaters learn what they would have learned in their classes, through debate 

It's been pretty easy so far, but I don't star taking most of my real classes until this semester. The big thing is how many credit hours you take per semester. Taking 12 cr a semester usually isn't that much work taking 18 is a bit harder to balance, especially because you'll have times where you have to decide between going to a tournament or spending that weekend studying for the 4/5 tests you have in the next week (and that's not even during finals).

Also depends on the major/what you're good at. If you're poli sci/IR/Com/Phil etc then it's not too bad, if you're math/science the workload can add up pretty quick after the gen eds get weeded out of your schedule.

As someone who went to a pretty hardcore math/science institution (Harvey Mudd College), spent most of my college career on the Dean's List, and did debate:

-Parli debate takes very little prep work for someone with a debate background.  Most of it will be applying knowledge you already have without needing to actually cut cards.  The ability to interpret resolutions will also let you use course material with some frequency.  You may want to prepare 6-12 cases ahead of time, but case preparation for parli involves no card cutting.

-Policy debate would have killed me.

-You'll find tournament time demands to be the biggest concern.  Some selectivity about which tournaments you go to, and good time management on course work, will make it possible.

-Social life trade-offs may be the biggest disadvantage.  

(Humanities and social science majors may find either coursework more forgiving or policy debate research more cross-pollinating and thus less of a distraction).

Edited by Squirrelloid

doubt it; most debaters learn what they would have learned in their classes, through debate 

I learned so much linear algebra in debate last year!

For real though I have no problems balancing a social life with debate with academic work.  Also the friends you meet through debate are awesome.  The only real difference is you are gone some weekends so more social activity needs to happen during the week for a few months.

• Upvote 3

Does the school subsidize/pay for the competitions?

Depends on the University. Most if not all cover tournament costs, and I haven't heard of any one having to pay for their own hotel, but some won't pay for meals, for example.

I'm a parli debater for Nevada and it's not terrible. I'm a math and philosophy dual major and a double minor and I still have enough time to practice. It's honestly all about time management.

And having the school pay for travel tournaments is wonderful :)

As someone who went to a pretty hardcore math/science institution (Harvey Mudd College), spent most of my college career on the Dean's List, and did debate:

-Parli debate takes very little prep work for someone with a debate background.  Most of it will be applying knowledge you already have without needing to actually cut cards.  The ability to interpret resolutions will also let you use course material with some frequency.  You may want to prepare 6-12 cases ahead of time, but case preparation for parli involves no card cutting.

-Policy debate would have killed me.

-You'll find tournament time demands to be the biggest concern.  Some selectivity about which tournaments you go to, and good time management on course work, will make it possible.

-Social life trade-offs may be the biggest disadvantage.  

(Humanities and social science majors may find either coursework more forgiving or policy debate research more cross-pollinating and thus less of a distraction).

HMC doesn't have policy, right?

HMC doesn't have policy, right?

Sometimes?

The debate team is technically through Claremont McKenna College, but the Claremont Colleges all have access to it.  (I may have been the only HMC student to have done debate as of when I graduated...).  Parliamentary debate was certainly the preferred debate activity, but we had a single policy team at least part of the time I was there.  (Both debaters also did Parli, and both had done policy in high school, and travel to competitions was supported by the coach/team budget).

Edited by Squirrelloid