flyingjakob

The Best K for The Surveillance Topic?

That's clever, you see, you can tell I am not a K debater :P. I have seen a lot of anthro teams represent human/non-human as a binary for the purpose of argumentation, and I guess that I never really considered it a problematic distinction.

I mean, the thing is that there are really two ways this shakes out

1) Link: You didn't talk about animals

Which presumes that humans aren't animals. This matters more when the impact claim is that creating binaries are bad.

2) Link: You privilege humans over other non-human animals

Here, it gets a bit trickier because they don't create that distinction themselves, and it links a little bit more. You still can make the argument that we always thought humans were animals and should be treated like any other animals, but this extra little bit of nuance from the neg means that you need to do a little bit more work explaining out this and probably should include a few other arguments. 

In addition to Snark's beautiful answer, you should also go after the K (especially the alt) as imposing human values on non-humans, which bites the K far worse than the link of omission they're trying to hit you with.  

Anthro has always been a terrible K, and the link is virtually always a link of omission.  

(And no, the "curtail" history is not a legit link.  (1) Aff isn't responsible for the resolution, (2) having words which describe things that were inflicted on animals does not itself inflict violence animals, no more than the term 'genital mutilation' inflicts violence on people who have been so mutilated. Vocabulary is necessary to even talk about the issue.  And there's even less link for a word which once had that meaning hundreds of years ago but no longer does.)

• Upvote 1

ummmmmmm i think a solid K usually for y'all who don't know them are like i guess some type of IR K or Cap just to introduce yourself 

but the topic specfic one i have seem to hit are legalism and  i think solid one is like idk Coloniality and Race 

The Infiltration kritik is a black framework argument - this is something you would generally read against anti-blackness kritikal affirmatives. The K argues that to avoid a topical discussion reverts back to historical discriminatory educational practices utilized to disempower and subject blacks to inferior positions within society. In the 30's White people would refuse to give "Negros" political education because if they learnt about the constitution, learnt about their rights as Americans they would gain knowledge to topple white supremacy - Rejection of our responsibility to engage the state and legal institutions is in light of historic modes of racial exclusion – removing legal institution from the space kills black liberatory education and retrenches power structures. The alternative is to infiltrate oppressive institutions, engage the political, learn about the internal workings of white political apparatus to bring it down.

Would the infiltration K work against critical islamophobia teams? If is there any lit about Muslim political engagement or would it be possible to spin the political engagement for blacks into being useful for Muslims? 

What would you think about arguing Anti-Blackness in the sense of blackness being the zero point of identity then running the political engagement stuff to solve for the anti-black violence and the aff?

Read Carter Woodson's

The Miseducation of the Negro

That's where you'll find a lot of the turns specific to the black political imaginary.

In terms of the alt, I along with, others who I've seen read this argument read Robert Williams '70, the article is called BLACK REVOLUTION I think (might wanna verify)

You can probably find the Williams card in some AT Wilderson or framework files. Any engaging political good cards can work but Williams is little bit more specific to black liberation

I can't find that article. Do you have the card?

Would the infiltration K work against critical islamophobia teams? If is there any lit about Muslim political engagement or would it be possible to spin the political engagement for blacks into being useful for Muslims? 

What would you think about arguing Anti-Blackness in the sense of blackness being the zero point of identity then running the political engagement stuff to solve for the anti-black violence and the aff?

personally, I think you should only read Identity politics if you are that identity. I don't know what you identify as, but I've seen a lot of white people reading Wilderson and I just don't think that's cool. 

That'd also have to be Afro-Optimism stuff wherein you'd need different solvency advocates cuz you would probably double turn your advocacy if you read Wilderson and the state. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

personally, I think you should only read Identity politics if you are that identity. I don't know what you identify as, but I've seen a lot of white people reading Wilderson and I just don't think that's cool. 

That'd also have to be Afro-Optimism stuff wherein you'd need different solvency advocates cuz you would probably double turn your advocacy if you read Wilderson and the state. 

I get that, but it isn't the worse thing in the world for a person to read anti-blackness if they aren't black. As an aff that would be weird but on neg I think most people are fine with it. The team I am planning for doesn't have a single Muslim person on the team yet they have run islamophobia for a while. This isn't relevant, but they also run GBTL K and call native Americans, American Indians and I am Indian.

I don't think it would be a double turn. The card I have for Blackness is the zero point of identity isn't Wilderson. And reading Wilderson doesn't just turn state-args, the arg has to be in the card.

What exactly is Afro-Optimism and how could it help my arg? Also, do you think this K could be a winning arg if done correctly?

Hit this at St. Marks:

Intrinsic within the word “curtail” is its original meaning—chopping off of an animal’s tail.

Barnette 2013 (Martha, Martha Barnette is co-host of the public-radio show A Way with Words, heard each week by listeners in more than 250 cities across North America, longtime journalist who’s passionate about language and lifelong learning, she holds an A.B. in English from Vassar College. She did graduate work in classical languages at the University of Kentucky and studied Spanish in Costa Rica at the ILISA Language Institute, before coming to radio, Martha worked as a reporter for the Washington Post and an editorial writer for the Louisville Courier-Journal. She’s the author of three books on word origins: A Garden of Words, Ladyfingers & Nun’s Tummies: A Lighthearted Look at How Foods Got Their Names, and Dog Days & Dandelions. She’s often quoted in the news media about language topics; Martha joined A Way with Words in 2004. She is president of Wayword, Inc., the 501©(3) nonprofit that produces and distributes the radio program, and depends on support from listeners and underwriters. Martha holds a Certificate in Fund Raising Management (CFRM) from the Indiana University Lilly Family School of Philanthropy., Dog Days and Dandelions: A Lively Guide to the Animal Meanings Behind Everyday Words, https://books.google.com/books?id=TW31AAAAQBAJ&pg=PT66&lpg=PT66&dq=curtail+animal+meaning&source=bl&ots=dFtaTNyOCh&sig=XomGKFBM9f7YEDrCFDeUP17o6ow&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0CEYQ6AEwB2oVChMIvJT8qMb5xgIVUFeICh2PxA1g#v=onepage&q=curtail%20animal%20meaning&f=false, accessed 7/26/2015, KJH)

CURTAIL

Inside the word curtail is the obsolete English term curtal, which means “a horse with a docked tail.”  Curtal, in turn, is a descendent of the Latin words curtus, which means “short.”  It also produced the term curt that describes a reply that is short or abrupt. 

The equine term curtal was adapted from an obsolete French word, courtault, which denoted a wide range of things involving the quality or condition of being short—everything from a “short, dumpy man,” to a “short piece of artillery,” to a “short bassoon,” as well as an animal with a shortened tail.  Apparently influenced by the word tail and the Middle English word taillen, meaning “to cut,” the English word curtail eventually lengthened into curtail.  See BIDET.

By the late sixteenth century, curtail commonly meant “to make into a curtal by docking the tail,” as when a 1577 manual on farming said of one animal: “Hys tayle is . . . a great commoditie to him to beate away flies; yet some delight to have them curtailed, specially if they be broade buttockt.”  Over time this word’s meaning expanded beyond the action of lopping off animal tails to that of cutting off or abbreviating just about anything.  See DOCK.

Are these people fucking serious? 

If you lose to that... oh fuck 

Guess what, it's also ableist because you only refer to short people since it also used to mean short things and that's totally a link cus they would use it to describe little people 

Edited by BernieSanders

Are these people fucking serious? 

If you lose to that... oh fuck 

Nah, the RFD was like, "so there wasn't really a link... ever". The only impact extended in the 2NR was the link, meaning the judge evaluated militarism vs. tailless puppy rhetoric. 

• Upvote 1

@OP: first, you definitely shouldn't ask any of your teammates, because lets be honest, the only thing Kent Denver runs that's remotely critical is Lacan/Stavrakakis, and yall kick it EVERY TIME and go for heg good. but real talk, if you want to beat the other Colorado teams, none of them (aside from littleton) have responses to baudrillard that go beyond "postmod bad".  also, hit up Ian Dalton from East or just ask Denzler (yall know he went for the K in HS.  PICK HIS BRAIN).

@OP: first, you definitely shouldn't ask any of your teammates, because lets be honest, the only thing Kent Denver runs that's remotely critical is Lacan/Stavrakakis, and yall kick it EVERY TIME and go for heg good. but real talk, if you want to beat the other Colorado teams, none of them (aside from littleton) have responses to baudrillard that go beyond "postmod bad".  also, hit up Ian Dalton from East or just ask Denzler (yall know he went for the K in HS.  PICK HIS BRAIN).