CouldaBeenaContenda

Weird debate dreams

Anyone ever had any?  I just had my first one ever.  The Index page here says that frivilous topics should be posted in the misc. section, but that advice is obsolete because there no longer is one.  Needless to say, this  post can be moved or deleted as the administration may see fit.

#  #  #

I was at Harvard, waiting for the tournament administrator to announce whether we had cleared or not.  My partner in that dream was a girl who had, in real life, been part of the last debate program I was involved in.

Funny thing was, we hadn't actually debated in any tournament rounds yet, and I never had debated with her either in real life or in that dream.  It was then announced that we would be debating Kansas.  My debate coach in the dream was my last real life debate coach, so it is reasonable to assume a dream setting of around 1980.  I saw him sitting in the back of the room, talking to someone, and I said to him that we really needed him to use his personal clout to find out what Kansas was running for an affirmative case.

He seemed slightly annoyed by my request but honored it anyway.  He walked up to the front of the room, which was a liquor lounge like bar, and just asked aloud, "Does anyone know what Kansas is running for an affirmative case?"

A few people said basically the same thing as one another: that they were running some kind of a case to improve how the U.S. Constitution could be ammended.  Basically, they had a case to amend the amendment process.

My partner and I weren't carrying any evidence (perhaps the most realistic aspect of this dream) and I had never seen her debate before (neither in this dream, or in real life, actually), and since she is a decade younger than me, I figured that I would at least make sure that we were on the same page as far as speaker duties were concerned.

I told her that when I had debated back in the 1960s, the first negative commonly attacked the case on the grounds of significance, inherency and harm, and that the second negative attacked the plan on workability, plan-meets-need and disadvantages.  She said that was the same distribution of responsibilities that she was used to, so I was comforted by that.

Then I told her that while Topicality was usually argued by the second negative, if she thought of a topicality argument to use, it was OK with me if she used it herself, just because I was sure she'd be short on material as it was, and as second negative, I'd have more time to come up with other plan attacks.  She made a reply that gave me confidence that she had an adequate grasp of how one argues topicality, and that pleased me greatly.

Then, I told her that it was important that she make a nice flow sheet outline of the affirmative case, and since, in real life, I did know her to be a good flow sheeter, as she had been our novice judge and I had seen her real flowsheets, I was not surprised that when, in this dream, she showed me a few she was carrying and they looked pretty good.

Then, I realized that I didn't have anything to write with so I left to get something.  I walked out the front door of the building we were in, and saw that there was a store across the street.  I could see, looking in the storefront window, that it was some kind of art supply store and it had some drafting supplies on display.  The clerk was helping another customer and I kind of interrupted and asked if they sold pens and he gave me an indirect answer that was sort of a yes, but he went back to dealing with his customer. I looked around the room but I didn't see any pens, so I said out loud, to the two people nearest to me, that I was willing to pay $5 each for any of their own pens they would sell me.  

One girl had a pen that was a "stick" pen with a clear hex body and it was evident that the ink had leaked in it, meaning it would be undependable since pens like that can stop flowing at the drop of a hat. I took it anyway, and since no other pens were being offered to me and since I was afraid that enough time had gone by that we might be in jeopardy of forfeiting the round, I left the store with just that one pen.

I woke up before I got back to the room where my partner was.

#  #  #

I find it amazing that this was the first debate dream I have ever had.  When I worked in manufacturing factories back in the 1970s, I had work dreams frequently, and now, as an electronic field service technician, I have several work related dreams every year.  Before that, I used to have the classic school anxiety dream that so many have had, where you remember that there was a class you had forgotten you had signed up for, and that you knew an assignment was due and maybe it was in your locker, but you couldn't remember the combination... or the locker number.  Those dreams.  I had 'em just like nearly everyone else, but I haven't had a school anxiety dream in decades.   None of my work dreams have tended to feature either success of failure, so I can't imagine how the debate dream might have played out if it had continued.

Edited by CouldaBeenaContenda

Always the same dream: in a hotel room with only beds and no tables, debating on paper and none of my cards are highlighted.

• Upvote 4

my partner had a dream that i went up to him and told him that i was quitting policy and wanted to do pufo instead. He woke up crying.

• Upvote 8
  • Downvote 1

my partner had a dream that i went up to him and told him that i was quitting policy and wanted to do pufo instead. He woke up crying.

the funny thing is, my friend actually had this happen to him

Always the same dream: in a hotel room with only beds and no tables, debating on paper and none of my cards are highlighted.

That's a nightmare, not a dream.

• Upvote 3

I dream-write arguments. If I think about an argument before I sleep, I'll actually write the text of the argument when I'm asleep, and then I wake up with a couple of paragraphs of written text in my head that I have to quickly scribble down or lose.

• Upvote 2

I think about random rounds and I'll do rebuttal redos while asleep, or it'll be a random tournament I went to, and it'll go differently or the same like a change of a memory or a repeat. Sometimes i'll dream about lab/ camp as well.

I was in a hotel room with my parents, they woke me up because apparently I was spreading in my sleep and they thought i was hyper ventilating.

• Upvote 1

I had some dream that I read some sort of nietzsche K that was based on 'nietzschean humor' and presumably how nietzchean humor is the best way to value life, and then during the round I turned my computer around and played a video clip in which a guy playing nietzsche answers a phone and someone asks him a question, and he says "God is dead." The person on the other end starts freaking out, and then after several seconds nietzsche says "Oh, I thought you said God, not Todd!"

Edited by goodatthis
  • Upvote 3