How do you hide these well and still make it clear enough for the judge to flow? I usually put solves case, turns case, outweighs case, and some sort of ethics/aff's impacts don't matter argument in it if that helps at all. 

How do you hide these well and still make it clear enough for the judge to flow? I usually put solves case, turns case, outweighs case, and some sort of ethics/aff's impacts don't matter argument in it if that helps at all.

1. You shouldn't hide your arguments for strategic benefit. If you want to argue any of these things, just say it in the 1NC. You get extra points from most judges for being clear and honest.

2. But if you feel the need to be sneaky, make your tags clear as to what you're arguing without using the debate buzzwords. I.e., "A critical examination of biopower is the only way to stop government surveillance in the long run" rather than "The alt solves and outweighs case."

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

1. You shouldn't hide your arguments for strategic benefit. If you want to argue any of these things, just say it in the 1NC. You get extra points from most judges for being clear and honest.

2. But if you feel the need to be sneaky, make your tags clear as to what you're arguing without using the debate buzzwords. I.e., "A critical examination of biopower is the only way to stop government surveillance in the long run" rather than "The alt solves and outweighs case."

Right, my overviews are usually alt solves case <brief tag> <extend author> <explanation>

I keep hearing that you're supposed to 'hide' these in the overview though. I was wondering if there was a different formatting or something along those lines. 

EDIT: Reread your post, makes sense. Thanks. 

Edited by kylerbuckner

I think the overview largely depends on the k. Last year i went for afropessimism 90% of 2NR's, and my 2NC overview was something like: 

1. K o/w (in this context, the difference between objective and subjective vertigo) 

2. Solves and Turns Case 

3. Value / Epistemology Framing 

4. Extinction Inevitable 

idk, we were pretty successful with this, and a lot of teams straight didnt go to the overview which meant they dropped a bunch 

I think the overview largely depends on the k. Last year i went for afropessimism 90% of 2NR's, and my 2NC overview was something like: 

1. K o/w (in this context, the difference between objective and subjective vertigo) 

2. Solves and Turns Case 

3. Value / Epistemology Framing 

4. Extinction Inevitable 

idk, we were pretty successful with this, and a lot of teams straight didnt go to the overview which meant they dropped a bunch

All of that goes on the line by line. Impacts and impact framing belongs with the impact debate, not artificially severed out and put on top. Hoping for people to drop arguments isn't a sustainable competitive strategy.

• Upvote 1

All of that goes on the line by line. Impacts and impact framing belongs with the impact debate, not artificially severed out and put on top. Hoping for people to drop arguments isn't a sustainable competitive strategy.

I've seen teams cut the K into Link, Impact, then the Alt debate and read separate overviews per category. Is that what you mean or just straight up all on the line by line?

I've seen teams cut the K into Link, Impact, then the Alt debate and read separate overviews per category. Is that what you mean or just straight up all on the line by line?

I mean LBL. Usually 2A's will group portions of the debate when responding though.

Edit: Obviously not all arguments made in a 2nc will not be directly lined up to 2ac args since you have more args than the 2ac made but the point is more like you should stick it with the rest of your work on X portion of the flow. Like: they say case outweighs, but we have three responses, A, B, C, and so on.

Edited by SnarkosaurusRex
  • Upvote 1