BeanieBeanie

How to debate framework better

So just finished my GDI open doubles round against critical islamaphobia and lost on a 2-1 for the aff cuz i didn't do enough impact calc and stuff like that. I'm very new to being a 2n as i started being 2n at camp and going for fw was my first time. Any tips argue framework better? I'm not really that familiar with it when going against k affs.

The Law is good and can be changed?

I feel like T version or law good isn't the best strat with this resolution - I feel like if you aren't a hardcore framework debater with tons of blocks, there is tons of literature biased towards the aff - going to the state to reform the state does nothing but allow the state to justify and manipulate legality to it's benefit, even more specific to Islamophobia, if you look into Habib Sidiqqui's articles or books on Muslim Surveillance and oppression there's tons of lit on how Muslim Surveillance is being justified in the status quo - loopholes and manipulations of the law.

Edited by ConsultVerminSupreme

So just finished my GDI open doubles round against critical islamaphobia and lost on a 2-1 for the aff cuz i didn't do enough impact calc and stuff like that. I'm very new to being a 2n as i started being 2n at camp and going for fw was my first time. Any tips argue framework better? I'm not really that familiar with it when going against k affs.

Just curious, what was their advocacy statement? Did they advocate for a methodology, or a narrative or what? I wasn't able to go to camp this year due to excessive work so I'm not super familiar with all the affs being produced.

I feel like T version or law good isn't the best strat with this resolution - I feel like if you aren't a hardcore framework debater with tons of blocks, there is tons of literature biased towards the aff - going to the state to reform the state does nothing but allow the state to justify and manipulate legality to it's benefit, even more specific to Islamophobia, if you look into Habib Sidiqqui's articles or books on Muslim Surveillance and oppression there's tons of lit on how Muslim Surveillance is being justified in the status quo - loopholes and manipulations of the law.

I have to disagree - I think the fact that the law fails is more of a reason we should be working to change it and make reforms less oppressive. Saying that we shouldn't engage the state bc it does bad things is the worst form of fatalism/cedes the political since the only people who are left in congress are the right wing fanatics who made the war on terror in the first place

• Upvote 2

Want to win on framework, even in front of "K" judges? Answer the aff.

This ain't parli. Can't just clutch analytics out of your ass like Zach Schnyder when I can beat you with "But look at what "insert identity tix author here that says fairness isn't fair to oppressed bodies" says "haha rekt kid better check that privilege while you get the 20 speaks part of your ballot checked :)" 

Law good is extremeley good when it comes to negative state action. Also defenses of legalism and derridean deconstruction are pretty good against these types of arguments 

• Upvote 1

No - i also think you honestly are over complicating it 

- A) predictable limits- just winning a limits DA............

B ) Also be creative and mabye run a T-violation they dont meet and just rephrase some of the things like we are chill if you arent affirming the rez , but itd be chill to get our terrorism DA and some topic specfic education ...

1NC

Interp and violation

3 to 4 'in round' impacts: limits, ground, ssd, etc. These can/should be analytics (don't need to be more than a sentence or two in the 1nc)

Portable skills or agonism good arg/steinberg or dryzneik (sic?) card

1 law good for X oppressed group card

Edit: Don't forget about competing interps good

And if your 1n is fast enough you can put some other offense in the 1nc like Wounded Attachments style args, these should be with the other 'standards'

Block

Extend interp

- Give a lost of cases you allow if they make an overlimiting claim

Answer Counter Interp

- Give a list of the dumb aff's their CI allows, preferably from actual aff's you've seen or heard about

Extend violation/answer we meet

Give the topical version of the aff (TVA), with a specific plan text. This is where the law good for X card comes in and where you should probably read more if you need to.

Go through the rest of the line by line, using your TVA as an advantage CP that has your fairness/etc impacts as net benefits and solves for their DA's/turns to FW

Pick and choose a few of your 1nc impacts to develop and treat each one as its own miniature DA debate

Basically if you think like framework as a K you should be able to make all the arguments you need to win it. Like a K, you have a DA(s) and a way to solve them through the TVA.

Edited by SnarkosaurusRex

No - i also think you honestly are over complicating it 

- A) predictable limits- just winning a limits DA............

B ) Also be creative and mabye run a T-violation they dont meet and just rephrase some of the things like we are chill if you arent affirming the rez , but itd be chill to get our terrorism DA and some topic specfic education ...

terror disad against islamophobia..?

umm  - idk even if a policy is fucked up it might be round for a reasonnnnn....

yeah its a weird as hell idea i dont honestly pedagogical endorse but it help feeds into ground on the core topic DA's they no link out of 

Want to win on framework, even in front of "K" judges? Answer the aff.

Idk how easy that is when the GDI Islamaphobia neg is filled with No impact to islamaphobia evidence. :( 

But in all seriousness you need to fundamentally answer the warrants they provide for reformism being bad. Just reading a bunch of progress good crap wont do you much in the higher level debates

Law good is extremeley good when it comes to negative state action. Also defenses of legalism and derridean deconstruction are pretty good against these types of arguments 

I'm not exactly sure all the much derrida gets you , when most peoples writing on deconstruction is all about the way we should conceptualize communication strategies prior to the materiality (Or the fact that materialtiy is impossible for most of them) of state action.

Snark pretty much nailed it.  The only thing I would add is that having a truth testing impact to limits usually works pretty well.