What's a relatively affordable, good laptop to buy for debate and why? When looking for a laptop for debate, what exactly should I be looking for? I know it needs a decent amount of battery life, but how much RAM, etc?

@OP, this may help.

http://www.cross-x.com/topic/58871-best-laptop-for-debate/

I have a question as well, what is the cheapest, usable computer for debate? My Dell Inspiron is about to die and I have to buy my next one. 

I've been looking at the Toshiba Satellite C55-B5100, does anyone have any knowledge of it's abilities?

• Upvote 1

@OP, this may help.

http://www.cross-x.com/topic/58871-best-laptop-for-debate/

I have a question as well, what is the cheapest, usable computer for debate? My Dell Inspiron is about to die and I have to buy my next one. 

I've been looking at the Toshiba Satellite C55-B5100, does anyone have any knowledge of it's abilities?

Cheapest usable laptop: http://www.amazon.com/ASUS-1025C-MU17-BK-10-1-Inch-Netbook-Black/dp/B0071N3AYC/ref=sr_1_4?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1332348449&sr=1-4

$94 - this is my partner's backup laptop, works like a charm if his/my laptop is dying.

Edited by ConsultVerminSupreme
  • Upvote 2

Do you know of any that are 15+ inch screen?

My coach uses this one : http://www.amazon.com/Toshiba-Satellite-C55-B5100-Celeron-Windows/dp/B00UCSSN5E/ref=sr_1_4?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1437441835&sr=1-4&keywords=laptop&refinements=p_n_size_browse-bin%3A2423841011

It's still relatively cheaper - she hasn't said anything good about it, but she hasn't said anything bad. All I know is it works as a debate laptop, she cuts cards, verbatim, flows...

• Upvote 2

You can use literally any laptop for debate, as long as it runs Windows 7 (if you're on a PC) or Linux well.

• Upvote 1

You can use literally any laptop for debate, but the best ones are the ones that are light and fast, and not Mac. That's because Vertabim's weird on Mac (trust me).

The one I'm using is the Dell XPS 13 (9333) Touch, and I'd say it's good. But there are faster computers, including one which is the successor to the one I have (http://www.dell.com/us/p/xps-13-9343-laptop/pd). 

If you want specs advice...

-get a laptop with an SSD (with 500+ GB). Speed makes the difference in a round, especially when you're frantically opening backfiles for answers to that obscure K you've hit for the first time.

-make sure its battery is decent. Rooms are highly variable in terms of outlets, and in some tourneys (like the Regis Winter Classic (or the Regis Winter Clusterfuck if you debate there)) there are no outlets. :)

-If there are any laptops that say they have USB Type C or anything hype like that don't get it. The mass majority of laptops have the regular ones, and having an incompatible socket would be a pretty bad problem.

-Try to limit the weight to 1.5 pounds or less. If it means lesser graphics, go for it. (I have Intel HD Graphics btw)

-Watch the RAM-- the higher, the faster. Go for 8 GB (and cross your fingers for higher)

Other than that, the kind of laptop you have in the long-term won't make much of a difference-- whether or not you have the world's fastest laptop, you'll still lose the debate if you drop T.

Edited by asi14
  • Upvote 1

Do you know of any that are 15+ inch screen?

I dont recommend a 15+ inch screen for a debate laptop in general because they usually are on the heavier side. It is def much easier to handle and manage a smaller screen size and lower weight in general. Just a consideration because you may be going on to college and i assume you will bring your laptop with you. 

but again it is up to you. Gotta get what you need in a computer

• Upvote 1

Like i recommend : 

any computer within the 13-15 inch range . Anything above this is way to heavy to carry around ....... 

Like if you go around the larger size - SSD is  how you get big and light 

• Upvote 1

Debaters gotta work out anyway

If they wanted a workout they would've just used papers.

Everyone knows debaters are already swole anyways.

• Upvote 1

If they wanted a workout they would've just used papers.

Everyone knows debaters are already swole anyways.

Make em carry tubs.

I doubt most novices know what tubs are nowadays.

• Upvote 4

I recommend Macbook Pro Retinas but they're pricey and can't run the latest version of Verbatim. But the user interface is awesome.

If you like Windows, then I HIGHLY recommend the Lenovo Yoga.

http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/lenovo/yoga-laptop-series/yoga-3-pro-laptop/

Edited by jclin22009
  • Upvote 1

I recommend Macbook Pro Retinas but they're pricey and can't run the latest version of Verbatim. But the user interface is awesome.

If you like Windows, then I HIGHLY recommend the Lenovo Yoga.

http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/lenovo/yoga-laptop-series/yoga-3-pro-laptop/

Yesssss!!!! I have a cheaper version of this and it is really awesome. The SSD makes the computer much more responsive. Those couple seconds you save opening up documents, typing and saving documents can shave off 20-45 seconds of prep during the rounds. Which can be crucial during deep out rounds.  

• Upvote 1

Also, the Lenono Yoga. You totally look swag when you flip your device into a tablet and start reading with the touchscreen :)

• Upvote 1

I have used a windows hp 17 inch and a macbook pro 13 inch retina display. I like the mac more because it's more convenient, better resolution, better touchpad, faster for productivity, nice little tools for debate like scrolling through documents and easier scrolling and stuff, and much more. It's kinda on the high end of price though. It doesn't really matter which laptop you get as long as it has a decent battery life, decent ram and storage, at least i5 (maybe i3 2/10 would not recommend), 12 or more inch size screen, and works with word. Verbatim compatibility is nice as well (mac office 16 doesn't have, i am disappoint). There are decent laptops for like 200 dollars. Do research before buying, it is an important investment.