kylerbuckner

Going for T

What is the best way to win T? 

I know portable skills and fairness but how do you warrant those? And do you need to read cards to win the portable skills?

What is the best T impact? I know that limits is a good internal link to most... 

I feel like you're also missing topic-specific education. The topic is the only thing that changes every year; people almost inevitably get to the same extinction impacts. If a team is untopical, we don't learn about the unique processes and internal links that are tied to the topic. The other team may ask why that's important, and at that point, you can basically recite all of the reasons given in the topic paper. The topic paper is a detailed explanation of why the education inherent in that specific topic is important (such as how it relates to the real world, how it impacts people, etc.).

• Upvote 3

I'd say that an education claim is the biggest impact to T, however there are instances in which fairnes could take precedence. As for warrented ev, it's alot easier to use carded evidence for your internal links. (i.e. Depth over breadth is better for education, aff violates this by being untopical - insert liits claim-)

Most of my 2NRs were T last year and this is just my experience. (its also strategic to leverage FXT and EXTRA T as additional internal links - most judges will buy it if you explain it well enough.) 

(I also agree with everything said above, ^^ find a good card that says debating about surveillance is key to effective policy making and you've already got the upper hand coming out of the block. 

• Upvote 2

What is the best way to win T? 

I know portable skills and fairness but how do you warrant those? And do you need to read cards to win the portable skills?

What is the best T impact? I know that limits is a good internal link to most... 

I think winning and even going for t is very very situational. you can def be an amazing T debater but if you go into a round expecting to kick every other off case position and spend the entire block on T then you got another thing coming haha.

So i'd say you really want to articulate a position in which abuse can happen with the way the plan interprets the topic. I usually go for arguments like, these early debates sculpt the way people start approaching the topic and how its becomes a "race to the squirreliest" 

I think what you should really think about is how do you frame and impact the arguments in context of the round and tournament and why you are uniquely preventing debates at the fringe of the topic.

In terms of T impacts, I think fairness with an internal link to clash is a good standard to have and even topic specific education. If i were you i would contextualize what the standards you presented mean in relation to the actual strategy you deployed. Like if you can point out to places where there is a specific tradeoff of either clash or education then i think you can definitely set yourself up for success on the impact framing level.   

I generally argue Extra T, that allowing an untopical aff to win basically means its topical, justifying thousands of its kind, thus killing neg research. However any of these options are fine (and better).

And then there's that moment when your opponents ignore T in the 2AC.