AmandaC

bringing a new partner into policy

hi! i'm going to be a second year varsity policy debater (2A/1N) going to camp this summer and i am trying to bring up a former parli debater as my debate partner (1A/2N) for the upcoming debate season. she's a very good speaker, very smart, is willing to learn and put time into it, and has experience in both pufo and parli. What should i do to help her catch up as quickly as possible during summer? Thank you!

In my opinion, unless you completely despise being a 1A, you should try taking up the 1A - the 1AR is the hardest speech in debate and if you don't have experience in policy it's probably not the best place to be thrown into. (esp. in varsity)

• Upvote 2

hi! i'm going to be a second year varsity policy debater (2A/1N) going to camp this summer and i am trying to bring up a former parli debater as my debate partner (1A/2N) for the upcoming debate season. she's a very good speaker, very smart, is willing to learn and put time into it, and has experience in both pufo and parli. What should i do to help her catch up as quickly as possible during summer? Thank you!

Hi! I was kinda in the same boat as your partner in this situation (except i started a month before ncfl quals- Some how made it haha). The answer to this question is conditional upon the style of arguments you do or are planning on doing in debates. 

In my case I learned debate by writing my own arguments. I was required to cut a K and disad file with the help of my coach.

Since you have an entire summer to work with her, I would say you should spend the first 3 or so weeks teaching her the technical aspects of debate and doing 1v1 drills. Like you would read an aff she would read 1 argument and the respective case debate and you would have debates with shortened speeches. This is really helpful because you can work on the finer details and nuances of each argument type. I would continue having them through out the summer and into the year (honestly this helps everyone haha). Then I would have her find one argument and have her research the shit out of it. Like get really good.

This will:

A) Allow you to help compensate for her lack of technical skills.

B) Help her improve her tech skills because she is able to contextualize the techniques you have taught her in the beginning to the arguments.

C) Put you 1 step ahead of the game at the start of the year

Also just another thing when you do the initial teacher go over a lot of the 2nc-2nr and 2ac-2ar strategies and structure. This was a mistake that my partner and I did in our junior year with our novices. It made it much tougher for them to get the structure but eventually they got it down.

Finally prewrite a lot of your block analysis and extensions, It makes it easier for her to handle the sheer difference between what she is used too and what she will have now. If she can quickly refer to those then she can focus on other arguments yall don't have blocks too. (I know many ppl will jump on me for this but it is okay in the beginning especially since she has to fill in a pretty big role which can be a little daunting)  

• Upvote 2